BMCC variant Metabones Speed Booster works on GH3 and GH4 to give 1.28x crop, almost full frame look!

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Bros (and non-bros). I may have not read it. But remember how the edges of lenses generally show off things like what is being described more than the center of the lens? If you are experiencing this, could that be what you are noticing? Or are you comparing that lens being used with the SAME fov on another camera and seeing it appear in one camera and not in the other?

Also, I didn't get the adapter thing.. Does anyone have any idea when the speedbooster will be available for EF? I e-mailed metabones, but didn't get a response (expected). Or at least ANY electronic EF to this camera converter?

• Administrators

The BMPCC will never work on the GH4. The shutter shield and shutter itself is in the way. The best I can do is to screw back the BMPCC Speed Booster glass in the housing so that it doesn't get so close to the sensor, but that means no infinity... best I could do was around 2m.

My advice is get the BMCC version or wait for a possible GH4 version.

The BMPCC will never work on the GH4. The shutter shield and shutter itself is in the way. The best I can do is to screw back the BMPCC Speed Booster glass in the housing so that it doesn't get so close to the sensor, but that means no infinity... best I could do was around 2m.

My advice is get the BMCC version or wait for a possible GH4 version.

Hi first post. I'ma  stone cold newbie so apologies if this is covered elsewhere and my general ignorance about all things optical :)

I have a new GH4 and a bunch of fast old OM lenses. I was intrigued by this Metabones  OM2 to M4/3 booster

http://www.metabones.com/products/details/MB_SPOM-m43-BM1

Will this work with my GH4? Or do I need to wait for a dedicated GH4 booster? 

Many thanks  

Yep, the Olympus OM to M4/3 booster will work on the GH4

Great, thanks.

I guess the whole thing got me wondering what difference, if any,  there is between a standard M4/3 booster and this soon to be announced 'Dedicated GH4 booster' ? 

My guess is the 'dedicated GH4 booster' will have focal reduction somewhere close to the BMCC one, yet be designed to make sure the back piece doesn't touch the shutter sheild at all. Right now the BMCC version only have Nikon G and Leica R, so who knows what mounts they'll choose for a GH4 one. If I were you I'd go ahead and buy that Olympus OM version to take more advantage of your fast lenses.

Aron: Do you know if there's any physical difference between the GH3 and the GH4 in the shutter area? If there isn't any difference I assume one can use the BMPCC speedbooster on the GH4 as well. Two for the price of one is tempting.

I thought Andrew tested this and came to the conclusion that the BMPCC booster on GH3/GH4 does not allow focus to infinity. After watching Aron's video, it appears his Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 and Nikon 50 f1.8D are working for him but he tests vignetting issues and doesn't mention any infinity focus problems. In the comments of the video, last_SHIFT is reporting no infinity focus issues with his Nikkor 24/2 and 85/2 AIS...

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

For what its,Here is a video I did attaching the Metabones Pocket Speed Booster to my GH3. You can see the Speed Booster scratches the shutter guide. No big deal for me.
http://aronjanderson.com/pocket-speed-booster-on-the-gh3/

Aron, the 18-55mm shows vignniting because it's designed for a samller image circle than 1.16x, it's desinged for 1.5x, thus shows viggniting. While the 50mm f1.8 is designed to cover a fullframe (1x) so it covers 1.16 easily. It's actually intresting to see the 18-55 covering nearly fullframe sized sensor (at 18mm) as it shouldn't cover anymore than APS-C. Bu anyway just use FX lenses and will not see any viggniting at all.

Ok so a new speedbooster has turned up. It focuses at infinity which is great but I'm pretty sure it's not making the old OM lenses any wider. Certainly not the .71x mentioned in the bunf. 

My 50mm OM lens looks slightly longer on the Gh4 than it does when I re-check the same lens through the old OM2 body. Any thoughts, ideas? 

I have written to Metabones but so far no response

Many Thanks. 

An Olympus OM 2 is a full frame 35mm stills camera

your gh4 is a mirrorless digital camera with a x2 crop factor on your lenses

so your 50mm OM lens is longer on your gh4 by a factor of x2   (100mm FF equivilant)

You do need to read up on this as crop factors and full frame, they have different looks.

Im sure your speedbooster is working fine - if it has a lump of glass in it it will be making your 50mm OM lens x0.7 wider

just remember you have a x2 crop to factor into it all

Ok so a new speedbooster has turned up. It focuses at infinity which is great but I'm pretty sure it's not making the old OM lenses any wider. Certainly not the .71x mentioned in the bunf.

My 50mm OM lens looks slightly longer on the Gh4 than it does when I re-check the same lens through the old OM2 body. Any thoughts, ideas?

I have written to Metabones but so far no response

Many Thanks.

It will appear wider with the MBSB than without it. It won't appear wider than on a FF camera. The GH4 is 2.3x crop in 4k mode, not 2x.