SPIFFY, 1000fps with the Sony ZV-1 and RX100 VII

PannySVHS

Our friend @Alpicat has posted his spiffy 8bit lowres material from a 1000fps super slo mo parade.

Just, it was posted in the footage section. For ever hidden not to be seen nor heard. But I love the colours, vibe, music and approach. So I am the gallerist of the minute and pull this gem infront of us, the image lovin, nerdy admirerers of some 8bit goodness. Just like @kye he shows us there is more than just 10bit overkill to please the eye. Here is Alpicats original post:

"

1000fps with the Sony ZV-1 and RX100 VII

I've been making some creative videos for the synth music I compose, mostly recording them with the Sony ZV-1 and Sony RX100 VII at the moment. I've been trying out recording high frame rate 1000 fps on those cameras - it looks awful but it's a nice feature to have! 

Here's a video I recorded entirely at 1000 fps on the ZV-1 (40x slo mo), since it looked so bad I added a VHS filter on Davinci Resolve to fully embrace the retro style.

"

• PannySVHS changed the title to SPIFFY, 1000fps with the Sony ZV-1 and RX100 VII
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yeah, I think people should post their stuff on the main board with infors and write ups in relation to the used gear and maybe more BTS info. So tech discussion is invited and form and content in relation to it. That way it won´t be about just dropping your stuff, but still with content and thoughts for reading. The footage section is not giving the footage the adequate exposure unfortunately. I remember your GX85 footage and the colours you got out of that little cam. Loved it and your musical composition as well. @projectwoofer

Thanks so much for all your comments and for reposting @PannySVHS

The colour that comes straight out of camera on the Sony RX100 VII and ZV-1 cameras is great using standard colour profile. Haven't really tried the s-log formats as couldn't work out how to colour correct. Standard profile has terrible dynamic range but the colours look absolutely fine - good enough for me.  

1000 fps on these cameras isn't good though, and it's cumbersome to use. You have to set focus, focal length and exposure in advance, and lock those settings before you can shoot. Then if you want to change the settings, you have to get out of locked down mode. 

@Owlgreen You have a 1 second record time with the ZV-1 and a 3 second record time on the RX100 VII in quality priority mode at 1000 fps. You can double those times if you select "Shoot Time Priority", but I'm guessing that halves the quality. I haven't tried that mode - the "quality priority mode" is bad enough as it is. 

After you record, you have to wait a long time for the camera to save the footage. For example if you shoot for 1 second, you then have to wait for 40 seconds for the camera to save the clip (i.e. if shooting at 1000 fps and saving to a playback speed of 25 fps, that's 40x slow-mo).

Don't think there are any affordable interchangeable cameras that shoot at such a high speed? It would be nice if mirrorless cameras had such an option, even if cropping into the sensor a lot. 

@projectwoofer the Roland JD-990 is nice, you're lucky to have one! Was looking into get one but they're quite expensive nowadays. I've recently ended up with a Roland D-550 rack though which sounds very impressive too.

Below are two more 1000 fps videos I did, without using the vhs filter this time. I did use however use Topaz Video Enhance AI on these videos... otherwise the quality is awful, especially in lower light. 

This video was a 3 second or so clip of a plane landing at Stansted airport using the RX100 VII, which turns into 2.5 mins of footage when played at 1000 fps:

And this one is combination of normal speed and slow motion, again with the RX100 VII: 

4 hours ago, Alpicat said:

@projectwoofer the Roland JD-990 is nice, you're lucky to have one! Was looking into get one but they're quite expensive nowadays. I've recently ended up with a Roland D-550 rack though which sounds very impressive too.

Below are two more 1000 fps videos I did, without using the vhs filter this time. I did use however use Topaz Video Enhance AI on these videos... otherwise the quality is awful, especially in lower light.

Just checked on theBay: prices are crazy! 1200-1300€ for the 990 and 300-400€ for the vintage synth expansion. That’s nuts. I paid 500€ shipped plus 100€ for the expansion but I guess that was a long time ago…my D-550 cost me 250€ at the time. Crazy!

VEAI is very good, I’m using it to upscale FHD 120 and 150fps footage from the S5 to 4K. My favorite model is Proteus 2, it can make close and mid shots look almost indistinguishable from real 4K. 

@Alpicat Just zapped through your Fuji film simulation video for the Fuji XT4. Awesome stuff! I remember your vintage style add with VHS emulated look, which you posted here some time ago. Very kewl! I think it is that special kinda posts, creative output and some BTS info, encouraging discussion, inspiration and exchange of thoughts and support. Stuff like this needs the exposure of the main forum imo.

13 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Probably easiest to use for Slo Mo is a Smartphone. Better quality than the above video. Some are listed below. Some are using computational math to clean it up. I don't understand why they don't add it to mirrorless cameras.

https://www.smartprix.com/bytes/best-phones-to-capture-slow-motion-videos/

It's a good question why they don't add those modes.

I've noticed on looking at the specifications sheets on sensors that have been shared over the years that often Sony (it's always Sony) will have a full-resolution readout of the sensor up to a certain frame rate (eg, 30p) and then a lower resolution at a higher rate (eg, 60p or 120p) but don't list any lower/faster modes than that.

For example, they might list 6k60, 4k120, but not 1080p240 (which is actually half the number of pixels per second as 4k120).  Let alone faster readouts for 720p or 480p.

Obviously the tiny sensors for smartphones and the 1" ones like the RX100 (and GoPro?) etc do have those fast/lower-res modes, but maybe they just don't include them on larger sensors - not sure why.

@projectwoofer Yes prices for those synths have risen - let's see if they continue to do so in future or go down again! Video Enhance AI can be good, though it does make things look a bit plastic - but you can add grain to make it a bit more natural looking.

@PannySVHS Thanks so much for checking the Fuji XT4 video! That's actually my brother's video - I share the channel with him. He has the Fuji and a Canon 30D. I have a Panasonic S1H, Canon EOS M and the Sony point and shoot cameras.

I'm not used to writing in forums in general - but good to know it might be better to use the main forum for this kind of stuff! 

@kye they should add these high frame rate modes on larger sensor cameras, but maybe it's too complex to do for reasons we don't know? Or at least they could make an interchangeable lens version of the ZV-1, keeping the same 1" sensor. It's true though that in the smartphone examples linked above the quality looks better than what you get on the RX100 / ZV-1. 

I think, real life is less than we do. It's eat, drink, sleep and go to the restroom. We all got that plus, a bit of typing and reading in this forum. As long as it's not specifically about specs lists, I find it a good place for interaction about the art and joys of using small cameras in no and low budget circumstances.