SLR Magic Microprimes- thoughts?

Oliver Daniel

Hello lovely EOSHD. 

I’m circulating the idea of grabbing some  compact “cine lenses” for my Sony’s, and the SLR Magic microprimes caught my eye. 

I’m after character, with the benefit of a uniform set - easy / fast to change with a follow focus and filters. Also lightweight (unlike other cine housed lenses), as I shoot handheld 90% and my back needs looking after.

I already have cine modded Helios 44-2 and others, and they are cool but not uniform as a set. 

Anyone used the SLR’s? Recommended? 

All my other lenses are Sony. Clinical as fuck with amazing AF but (mostly) crap at MF. 

Cheers. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

They seem tempting just like the Meike Cine lenses or Veydras, which their formula and glass is supposed to be based on. They also have been tested in the field and if S35 and T2.2 is enough for you, should be worth a try.

Darn, worthless write up of mine, you're for sure up for their FF coverage which they provide.😆

2 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

They seem tempting just like the Meike Cine lenses or Veydras, which their formula and glass is supposed to be based on. They also have been tested in the field and if S35 and T2.2 is enough for you, should be worth a try.

Darn, worthless write up of mine, you're for sure up for their FF coverage which they provide.😆

Yep, they go for little money for E-mount these days. 

Meine’s are good but I’m not in the market for a lens of that weight  currently. 

New Sirui Jupiter’s look interesting with close focus abilities. Always appreciated that function. My Sony 20mm 1.8 does it nicely. 

10 hours ago, Oliver Daniel said:

Meine’s are good but I’m not in the market for a lens of that weight  currently. 

I was going to suggest the Meike S35’s…until I read this!

I looked at all the options and came very close to the DZO’s which are slightly smaller and lighter and of course the full frame Meikes are slightly bigger and heavier than the S35 line, but that’s what I chose.

Bigger and heavier than I’d like, especially as they need to be adapted for my use, but that brings the benefit of being able to use Fotodiox’s VND ef to l Mount adapter, so worth it. To me.

Makes for a big old near 2.5kg lump with the S1H but for me is an outstanding combo.

Having said that, only shot 1 job to date with the setup but have 3 within the next 10 days…

I recently purchased a tiny set of microprime (5 lenses). I've only done some minor testing though. Still I think for the price, they are very very nice. 

They are compact and quite well-built. The focus ring is pretty smooth. The images are beautiful, with a slight vintage feel, but the lenses are not very sharp, especially at the widest aperture. It really depends on your taste or the project. 

I absolutely love SLR Magic Microprimes (mirrorless) and the APO Microprimes (PL/EF mount). They're easily my favorite budget cinema lenses. Very little focus breathing, great build, lovely lovely image that isn't too soft or with tons of spherical aberrations but still pleasing.

I have the 12/2.8, 17/1.5, 21/1.6, 35/1.5, and 50/1.4 for M4/3 and I have the 32/2.1 and 50/2.1 APO microprimes... will eventually add the 25 and 85.

Plus the APOs cover full-frame.

Only thing that is ever an issue is glare, depending on your shot and light sources. It can be a bit much with the veiling glare if the light hits it the right way. This is a personal thing, some people love that. It's definitely more akin to vintage single-coated lenses than modern ones, but without the aberrations or focus breathing many of those have.