GH4 DR on external 10 bit 4.2.2?

paulraymaekers

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 1 month later...
Guest d5f8611fa423d0e628c016f9d5c93b47

A guy did post some for download on this forum a week or two ago ... I'll try to find it

Jacob Neilsen posted this 10 bit footage from GH4 + Ninja Blade via Dropbox (see EOSHD's GH4 Review comments thread, page 3): 

https://www.dropbox....est footage.mov

I put it into FCPX and pushed it around a bit and was amazed (never worked with 10 bit before though!). I think it looks absolutely stunning - particularly the 2nd shot of the girl with the chair.

• Administrators

It's live. You just plug it in, but instead of hitting record on the camera, hit record on the external monitor / recorder.

Sony A7S also has a record trigger for external devices... Meaning you can just hit the record button on the camera as normal to trigger the external recorder to start / stop capture, so you don't need to touch the device, just the camera. Nice feature. Unfortunately GH4 does not have this ability with current firmware. Hope they add it by the time the Shogun is released.

Yes it must be HD. The Blade can't record 4K.

I genuinely can't imagine it being able to look any better!

Andrew please do a comprehensive low light test (vs downsampled 4k) when you try this out!  :)

Can 10-bit/422 help with noise? It must do ...

Just to clarify what I said above, the footage was shot at 4K on the GH4 but recorded to the Ninja as 1080p. I have no idea if you will get superior results recording 10-bit/422 4K to a Shogun and then downsampling in post. I don't see why you would really.

Doesn't downsampling via the Ninja just simplify the workflow? Is it possible that the big wait for the Shogun will be a bit pointless if you're going to be downsampling to HD in post anyway?! Personally I'd rather have a Ninja Star in my pocket than a Shogun on top of my GH4 ...

Jacob Neilsen posted this 10 bit footage from GH4 + Ninja Blade via Dropbox (see EOSHD's GH4 Review comments thread, page 3): 

https://www.dropbox....est footage.mov

I put it into FCPX and pushed it around a bit and was amazed (never worked with 10 bit before though!). I think it looks absolutely stunning - particularly the 2nd shot of the girl with the chair.

Andrew, I don't follow every thread in this forum, but I think that this is information anyone (shooting with GH4) should know. Do you cover it in the GH4 guide? Or - do you sometimes update your guides? My point is - I'd like to know wheter I have to read everything here or not :P

Just to clarify what I said above, the footage was shot at 4K on the GH4 but recorded to the Ninja as 1080p. I have no idea if you will get superior results recording 10-bit/422 4K to a Shogun and then downsampling in post. I don't see why you would really.

and this brings us to another question again :-)  (as we seem to ask good questions :-))

the HDMI out 1080p, is it compressed in a different way from the full sensor to 1080, compared to the internally recorded 1080?

I know it is 10 bit 4.2.2, but the downsampling in the camera from full sensor to 1080 is the same algorithm for internal recording and external to HDMI, so it would have the same sharpness, and not sharper as some might hope?

OR

you write: shot at 4K but recorded to Ninja as 1080p. Does the Ninja convert the 4k HDMI signal to 1080p?

Yes it's the Ninja that converts the 4K to HD. That's what you are seeing in the Dropbox video above. This is why I can't see any benefit to buying a Shogun if you're going to be downsampling in post anyway. As I understand it, the GH4 gives full sensor readout when using 4K whatever. If this really is the case it actually makes more sense to record to 1080 prores. In which case a standard Ninja is probably better - saving yourself money, time, hassle, space on your hard drives and space on your hotshoe!   ;)