Canon EOS R7 and R10 have released...

Dave Maze

..which is 28.8mm on R7 (Canon is X1.6, while others closer to X1.5).

What I wanted to say but badly phrased above, you have to buy both Sigmas, and you have to treat them almost like primes, which are not wide enough (for me) and neither go long enough (e.g to cover a staged performance). You would definitely need a wider and a longer lens on the short run.

Certainly a good pro level 16-50mm, covering  is a better option, or some pro Canon 15-45mm which didn't offer before but I wish they will. Coupled with a classic crop 50-150 f2.8 you are set, and if someone doesn't even care to go than long, can stay with the 16-50mm and just a prime, wider, or longer, depending the personal style.

After 23 professional years, and more taking pictures or film, 24mm is my favourite focal length, and another one I use a lot is something around 75 equiv. (So a nice full frame 50mm does the job for me portrait wise. I still use the classic FD 50mm and some Pentax 55mm).

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Well, it really doesn't hurt that the lens is on a Blackmagic 6K. Both the 4K and 6K to me for the money seem to be the camera to have if you are looking for a Filmic look. They certainly have the Mojo for the task that is for sure.

The 6K one is actually not bad at taking photos. Interesting camera for sure. I would want the one with the NDs in it but that is a bit out of my price range. I guess if I sold a lot of my stuff I could do it, but probably not the best overall choice for me to be honest at my age. I need AF and stabilization to be honest. Not lugging around a big tripod or a gimbal anymore.

8 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Well, it really doesn't hurt that the lens is on a Blackmagic 6K. Both the 4K and 6K to me for the money seem to be the camera to have if you are looking for a Filmic look. They certainly have the Mojo for the task that is for sure.

The 6K one is actually not bad at taking photos. Interesting camera for sure. I would want the one with the NDs in it but that is a bit out of my price range. I guess if I sold a lot of my stuff I could do it, but probably not the best overall choice for me to be honest at my age. I need AF and stabilization to be honest. Not lugging around a big tripod or a gimbal anymore.

I believe you already made a very good move with your Panasonic, BM are more specialized cameras for video.

What they did to the industry is very significant though, a 4K is dead cheap and can mount almost every lens ever made, and the 6K Pro is an amazing tool with the ND and the bright and movable screen with the most popular lenses in history (EF). Internal ND is the holy grail for cheap video cameras and tick that box also.

But IBIS and good AF are very helpful tools to have and for some people must have, so they have to move to other options.

No perfect camera for everyone, but so many great ajd varied choices at the moment. Good news for all of us.

Peter says it overheated after 2 3/4 hours. BUT that's without recording internally (he was recording via HDMI) and with a dummy battery. He says that the camera itself felt hotter than any other camera he has felt. He was able to immediately turn the camera back on and continue recording, though. I'd be real cautious about doing that though, because it can't be good for a camera's internals to push it that hard. He thinks perhaps the overheating shut off is something programmed into the camera, but isn't sure. This was all indoors with AC. He gives the specific situation and modes he used in the video. 

I do wish he'd tested while recording internally and with a battery to see if that made a difference. 

2 3/4 hours is probably more than enough for most folks, but that the camera body itself gets so warm is a bit concerning. 

The "example" R7 video posted above is obviously color graded with teal and orange, and in no way shows the "colors' of the R7 or the DR, or skin tones.

Here is a video, shot in Clog3, in 4K 60p in crop mode, giving an almost 3X FF crop, using the cheap EF S 18-135mm kit lens. The "grade" is just the daVinci Studio transform from Clog3 and canon.cine color to REC709:

And this tests the audio, same specs as above:

And, for those complaining about the limited dynamic range of the R7 (from viewing REC709 video!), here is the HDR version of the trumpets video (which, of course, you can only view in HDR with HDR-capable viewers):

This video will show in transformed (by YouTube) REC709 (SDR) if not viewed on an HDR-capable device. The SDR version is not bad.

On 7/23/2022 at 2:38 AM, newfoundmass said:

Peter says it overheated after 2 3/4 hours. BUT that's without recording internally (he was recording via HDMI) and with a dummy battery.

Without recording externally, and without a dummy battery, then recording length before overheating will likely be a lot less. 

Wouldn't even shock me if people start reporting recording lengths which are less than an hour. 

On 7/24/2022 at 3:36 AM, Avenger 2.0 said:

Only when using Atomos recorder it seems. Another firmware bug likely.

Doesn't make any sense though, usually with any other camera, using an external recorder should either have no impact or improve recording length times. 

I got it! The shop I bought it received just 1 copy!! This is the second shipment and it seems that Canon send just a dozen or so for the whole country..this camera will be back ordered for a long time..Canon is giving priority to full frame production anyway.

It is interesting that Canon gives these limited copies to specialized shops and NOT to big chains at all..

The manual is 963 pages(?!), not included of course, I got the 16mm RF, an extra battery and the Canon dumb adapter as a launch gift. They run a promotion giving some reduction in price in selected lenses and varies from 75€ (50mm) to 600€ to more expensive ones. I had already ordered the 16mm, as I have other EF and EF-S lenses, but I was tempted also by the 50mm one. Is a brand new design of an old concept, seems like the best cheap 50mm in the market.

Unfortunately, I am starting an A.D job and I am reading scripts at the moment, I barely switch it on today.

2 things. It seems that zebra and focus peaking do not work together, and I couldn't find a way to zoom in to focus while recording..the second issue, if true, is a major disappointment for me..

As I said I didn't have time to search thoroughly, I took a couple of videos in glorious desert weather here (Athens, GR) and the camera did get hot a little in the touch. I will have to make some kind of test, or whatever, but it seems to me that it won't be temperature - proof as we hoped it will be.

On 7/25/2022 at 9:43 PM, markr041 said:

The "example" R7 video posted above is obviously color graded with teal and orange, and in no way shows the "colors' of the R7 or the DR, or skin tones.

Here is a video, shot in Clog3, in 4K 60p in crop mode, giving an almost 3X FF crop, using the cheap EF S 18-135mm kit lens. The "grade" is just the daVinci Studio transform from Clog3 and canon.cine color to REC709:

And this tests the audio, same specs as above:

The graded video shows the potential of a look which can be achieved, which I found very impressive. Though with popping complementary colour contrast and palette, it is far, far, far way from orange and teal. You need a image with good dynamic range and good codec to achieve that look.

Crayon style orange and teal look can be achieved with older 420 8bit cams from all manufacturers. Plenty of luts, which were sold for the GH4 by sly sellers, were orange and teal overkill btw.

The video you posted looks as seen by the camera. It shows plenty attributes to evalutate regarding image quality from this camera. I still enjoyed a highly specific grade a big deal. And it´s not orange and teal. 🙂

2 hours ago, ntblowz said:

Non of the eos camera can do punch in focus while recording, only cinema lines can do (include r5c). You always hook up to external monitor for punch in zoom while recording 

That a good value of bonus you got, the place I live didn't have any pre-order bonus (cheap ass!)

I thought it was 2022 and all cameras can do it! On the other hand, I bought it to explore the AF potentials of Canon and what brings to the table (still pulling my own focus, that sounded dirty!) so maybe it is not such a deal breaker in the end.

Recently, there are a lot of pro's using Canon or Sony AF in TV series that I work and it could be the standard on not very critical situations.

It is a nice little camera, definitely not pro quality. I think it is well positioned in the market, with a good set of features, but it isn't in any way the best crop camera around..a starting price of 1.499euros, or less, would be more fair.

This is the "Visual Kit" promotion they run, when you buy an R7 or an R10. if anyone wants to mix vacations and some shopping!

RF 50mm f/1.8 STM  -75€

RF 70-200 f/4 L IS  -600€

RF 35mm f/1.8 MACRO IS STM  -200€

RF 85mm f/2 IS STM  -300€

RF 16mm f/2.8 STM  -150€

RF 600mm f/11 IS STM  -350€

These are demonstrations of a number of aspects of the R7 as a video camera that posters here have asked about, without talk.

Use with the Canon EF S 18-135mm with power zoom attachment (look for one long zoom at 0:18):

HDR at night, with RF 16mm, f2.8:

Tests of human face/eye tracking, excerpted from a music video (the most challenging bits):