Canon EOS R7 and R10 have released...

Dave Maze

The ND adapter is expensive but you can use the regular 100€ EF to RF adapter to save money.

On 6/19/2022 at 3:51 AM, herein2020 said:

I think only Canon forces you to use 422 for all of their 10bit modes and you are right, it is annoying to say the least. It is like the 8K in the R5....no one asked for 422 or 8K but that's what Canon went for and the result was endless overheating problems and footage that can't be edited on most computers.

I understand it's a problem on PC but the codec edits fine on any current Mac including the $999 MacBook Air.

I also wouldn't say no one asked for 422. 422 has double the colour info of 420 and really shows when you push a grade or do chroma keying. there is a reason why its a broadcast standard. As for 8K, overkill for most users but nice to have on-board, I would definitely make use of it for cropping alone.

Again R5C is really the model to look at for hybrid shooters. No overheat and all the C-line video features including the XF-AVC codec that edits across all platforms.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Django said:

Again R5C is really the model to look at for hybrid shooters.

No IBIS though which means OIS lenses, gimbals, mono/tripod or stab in post and gimbals etc don’t really suit hybrid stills shooting.

At least would not for me.

I’d take an R3/5/6/7 over the c myself.

4 hours ago, Kisaha said:

I found locally the EF to RF ND adapter for 430€, are there any other brands offering something similar? Isn't that too much?!

I have decided I will go to RF soon, maybe crop (sweet spot for me), maybe full frame (I am not a huge fun). I have a lot of EF glass too, and maybe a couple of the cheap primes will do for now..

I got the Meike EF-RF ND adapter (Meike MK-EFTR-C) which costs €159 / $159.

Got some cheap manual Chinese EF primes (35mm f2, 50mm f1.4, 85mm f1.8) for about €100 a piece that were super easy to declick.

6 hours ago, Kisaha said:

The Pocket 4K did well for the few projects I needed a camera, but I do not feel the same for the Pocket 6K

But does the Pocket 6K Pro tempt you? With its NDs. 

(I wish there was a Pocket 4K Pro! That would be my dream camera from BMD which I could realistically have a hopefully high expectation of them releasing this year)

5 hours ago, Kisaha said:

I have decided I will go to RF soon, maybe crop (sweet spot for me), maybe full frame (I am not a huge fun). I have a lot of EF glass too, and maybe a couple of the cheap primes will do for now..

The Canon C70? 

The same sweet dual gain sensor as the C300mk3

The C70 is definitely the path I'd go if I was tempted to the evil dark side of Canon. 

Worked with it for a couple of weeks earlier this year (by "worked with", I of course mean I was the sound mixer on a shoot with it). 

1 hour ago, MrSMW said:

No IBIS though which means OIS lenses, gimbals, mono/tripod or stab in post and gimbals etc don’t really suit hybrid stills shooting.

At least would not for me.

I’d take an R3/5/6/7 over the c myself.

I use gimbals, mono/tripods even with IBIS cameras. IBIS is useful but it isn't magic.

I'll take the camera that doesn't overheat over the others if given the choice. Plus all the C-line video features like LUT import, WFM, shutter angle, S35/S16 crop modes, anamorphic desqueeze etc..

That said, I'm leaning towards C70 (+ R6). The NDs, battery life, audio & DGO sensor being more useful to me than 8K. 

5 hours ago, Django said:

The ND adapter is expensive but you can use the regular 100€ EF to RF adapter to save money.

I understand it's a problem on PC but the codec edits fine on any current Mac including the $999 MacBook Air.

I also wouldn't say no one asked for 422. 422 has double the colour info of 420 and really shows when you push a grade or do chroma keying. there is a reason why its a broadcast standard. As for 8K, overkill for most users but nice to have on-board, I would definitely make use of it for cropping alone.

Again R5C is really the model to look at for hybrid shooters. No overheat and all the C-line video features including the XF-AVC codec that edits across all platforms.

I actually think the R3 or the R7 are the better hybrid cameras at the moment. R7 remains to be seen, but the R3 has no overheating, IBIS, almost as good video specs as the R5, hybrid hotshoe, etc. The R5C is terrible on battery life, no IBIS, and takes 8 sec to switch from photos to video and back.

IMO if you are truly shooting hybrid the R3 would be the better fit.  If you need top quality video the C70 is the better fit and if you need top quality photography then the R5 is the better fit.  The R5C ends up being too mediocre at both photos and video in my opinion to be a true hybrid.  No IBIS kills it for lowlight handheld photography and handheld video work, 30min max per battery kills it for nearly anything run and gun unless you want to lug around a power supply which is unrealistic for photography, etc. etc. Too many compromises IMO.

I gave up on the "perfect" hybrid, but the R7 gives me hope again. The R3 wasn't a good fit for me because I don't shoot sports so paying $6K USD for all of that buffer clearing speed didn't make sense especially considering the C70 has internal NDs and better audio options. So for now, I'm still lugging around a minimum of two bodies.

2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

The Canon C70? 

The same sweet dual gain sensor as the C300mk3

The C70 is definitely the path I'd go if I was tempted to the evil dark side of Canon. 

Worked with it for a couple of weeks earlier this year (by "worked with", I of course mean I was the sound mixer on a shoot with it). 

I have the C70 and I will readily admit the DGO sensor is a little overrated; my S5 did better in lowlight and had slightly more DR than the C70. The C70's real strengths are the audio, ND filters, no overheating, XF-AVC, CLOG2, and RAW options. The sensor is just average IMO. Its great for a S35 sensor, but average in the crowded field of FF sensors.

1 hour ago, herein2020 said:

I actually think the R3 or the R7 are the better hybrid cameras at the moment. R7 remains to be seen, but the R3 has no overheating, IBIS, almost as good video specs as the R5, hybrid hotshoe, etc. The R5C is terrible on battery life, no IBIS, and takes 8 sec to switch from photos to video and back.

IMO if you are truly shooting hybrid the R3 would be the better fit.  If you need top quality video the C70 is the better fit and if you need top quality photography then the R5 is the better fit.  The R5C ends up being too mediocre at both photos and video in my opinion to be a true hybrid.  No IBIS kills it for lowlight handheld photography and handheld video work, 30min max per battery kills it for nearly anything run and gun unless you want to lug around a power supply which is unrealistic for photography, etc. etc. Too many compromises IMO.

I gave up on the "perfect" hybrid, but the R7 gives me hope again. The R3 wasn't a good fit for me because I don't shoot sports so paying $6K USD for all of that buffer clearing speed didn't make sense especially considering the C70 has internal NDs and better audio options. So for now, I'm still lugging around a minimum of two bodies.

Well we all have different requirements & deal breakers but calling the R5C mediocre is pretty extreme. No IBIS for photography has never been a problem for me personally. If I'm shooting lowlight I'll use fast glass, crank up the ISO or use a flash. There's always sticks for long exposure.  For video work its a nice convenience for locked handheld shots but the EIS + OIS isn't a bad compromise either. For anything more serious: mono/tripod, gimbal. I just don't see lack of IBIS as that big of a downer. YMMV.

Battery wise you can always get the battery grip or use a bottom plate screw-on power base with dummy battery which is a much more elegant solution than your basic external power banks:

anton_bauer_8275_0133_titon_base_kit_for

I guess my point is when there's a will there's a way. I find the R5C a very interesting product that merges C-line & EOS line  perfectly. Only thing missing to me would be ND's but no hybrid seems to have done it yet.

R3 is a dope camera but the price is ridiculous if you're not a sports/action photog. We're talking Komodo money.

1 hour ago, herein2020 said:

I have the C70 and I will readily admit the DGO sensor is a little overrated; my S5 did better in lowlight and had slightly more DR than the C70. The C70's real strengths are the audio, ND filters, no overheating, XF-AVC, CLOG2, and RAW options. The sensor is just average IMO. Its great for a S35 sensor, but average in the crowded field of FF sensors.

You shoot a lot in 60p no? Beware as in XF-AVC Clog from 60p to 120p the dual gain output is not activated.

Cine just did an updated lab test with the new RAW update:

About 13 stops can be identified above the noise floor, as well as a 14th and a faint 15th.  IMATEST shows 12.3 stops at a signal to noise ratio of 2 (SNR), and 14 stops at SNR = 1. Also, in the middle graph above the blue “14” line about 3 additional stops are exhibited. Wow!

Now, as we have reached already 8 stops of exposure latitude – the maximum we have seen so far with all cameras in the lab with one exception, the Arri ALEXA Mini LF (having 10 stops of exposure latitude).

4 hours ago, herein2020 said:

Well, the Panasonic S5 already has the Panasonic DMW-XLR1, which is pretty much the best OEM accessory for audio for a hybrid. 

And doesn't overheat. 

Just need Panasonic to add ND filters to it now.... pity the Panasonic BS1H didn't have ND filters, as nobody will ever be shooting photos with that!

4 hours ago, Django said:

You shoot a lot in 60p no? Beware as in XF-AVC Clog from 60p to 120p the dual gain output is not activated.

That was a misprint from one website that spread like wildfire and has since been proven to be false. The DGO feature is enabled in all modes except 4K120FPS. I literally would not have gotten the C70 if DGO was disabled when shooting 4K60FPS since that's the main mode I use.

Here is just one website that accurately states the capabilities:

Now, there is a catch with this Dual gain Output system. It doesn’t work when you are shooting in frame rates above 60p in S35 4K. However, it does work when you are shooting in 2K Super 16mm Crop mode up to 180fps. This is not surprising because the amount of processing power to deal with two readouts at high resolutions and high frame rates would put a proportionally bigger load on the system.

4 hours ago, Django said:

I guess my point is when there's a will there's a way. I find the R5C a very interesting product that merges C-line & EOS line  perfectly. Only thing missing to me would be ND's but no hybrid seems to have done it yet.

R3 is a dope camera but the price is ridiculous if you're not a sports/action photog. We're talking Komodo money.

I agree the R5C is definitely interesting, it was just quite disappointing to me to see the number of compromises they had to make to bring it to life especially since it was to power features I couldn't care less about like 8K. I've said it plenty of times, all I really want is good audio, good 4K, IBIS, dual card slots, and an editable codec along with all of the R5's or R6's photography features. Terrible battery life and no IBIS IMO are a direct result of Canon pushing their 8K narrative.

The R7 would hands down be the perfect hybrid to me if it were FF, as it stands now...it may still be the perfect hybrid depending on test results. No time limit, XLR module capability, IBIS, 4K60FPS, R3's AF system, I am assuming good battery life since the sensor is smaller, no overheating for the same reason, competitive price point, etc.

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

Well, the Panasonic S5 already has the Panasonic DMW-XLR1, which is pretty much the best OEM accessory for audio for a hybrid. 

And doesn't overheat. 

Just need Panasonic to add ND filters to it now.... pity the Panasonic BS1H didn't have ND filters, as nobody will ever be shooting photos with that!

I would have taken a working AF system over ND filters. But I will admit, after shooting with a camera with integrated ND filters it is hard to go back.

The DMW-XLR1 was definitely a great accessory especially since I got it for the GH5 and was able to use it with the S5.

11 hours ago, Django said:

I use gimbals, mono/tripods even with IBIS cameras. IBIS is useful but it isn't magic.

I'll take the camera that doesn't overheat over the others if given the choice. Plus all the C-line video features like LUT import, WFM, shutter angle, S35/S16 crop modes, anamorphic desqueeze etc..

That said, I'm leaning towards C70 (+ R6). The NDs, battery life, audio & DGO sensor being more useful to me than 8K. 

I guess it comes down to how anyone defines ‘hybrid’.

Your version seems like a video-centric one with maybe a requirement to sometimes take a still picture (because you don’t mention any photo requirements) and nothing wrong with that.

My version of hybrid is a typical 12-15 hour shoot day constantly flipping between stills and video all day long and if the flip time is longer than 1-2 secs max, that’s too long.

It’s also about the compact nature of the kit and being ultra mobile so whilst I could rig something out to improve the video capability, it would be to the detriment of the photography.

So zero rigging for me. Hybrid has to be purely camera and lens. But that’s just my need.

But then I split my needs and use 4 cameras…

2x handheld (hybrid S1R’s) + 2x tripod (pure video S1H + S5).

There are multiple Canon options for this I think I’d be happy with…but ouch, it would be expensive to switch to any of them!

And the overheating thing with some of them… The other day I had the S5 and S1H on tripods, rolling for 30+ minutes each (had to restart the S5 when it hit 30 mins) at 40 degrees C (104 F)?in the shade, but in direct sunlight.

Both were extremely hot to touch even before I hit record. I’m not sure if the fan even came on with the S1H but neither missed a beat and not a single overheating warning on any of my 4 cameras.

The S1R’s were super hot most of the day as in you wouldn’t want to hold them by the metal parts for too long!

It made me think how those plastic wonders that are the R6 and R5 would have coped…

Can’t prove it, but I suspect they would have shut down within a few minutes max in those conditions leaving me utterly f**ked for the ceremony!

Good points about the 5rc

7 hours ago, herein2020 said:

I agree the R5C is definitely interesting, it was just quite disappointing to me to see the number of compromises they had to make to bring it to life especially since it was to power features I couldn't care less about like 8K. I've said it plenty of times, all I really want is good audio, good 4K, IBIS, dual card slots, and an editable codec along with all of the R5's or R6's photography features. Terrible battery life and no IBIS IMO are a direct result of Canon pushing their 8K narrative.

The R7 would hands down be the perfect hybrid to me if it were FF, as it stands now...it may still be the perfect hybrid depending on test results. No time limit, XLR module capability, IBIS, 4K60FPS, R3's AF system, I am assuming good battery life since the sensor is smaller, no overheating for the same reason, competitive price point, etc.

Good points about the r5c I also wish they had just gone for the best 4k they could and stopped compromising other stuff chasing 8k.

Be aware if you mainly shoot 4k60p that on the R7 I believe it is line skipped unless using the severe crop mode. 4k 24/25p is the sweet spot for this camera it seems. Do like the no time limit though, overheating is still to be properly tested but fingers crossed the smaller sensor has a positive affect

Is R5's 4K60P line skipped or pixel binned? If 4K60P quality is similar to R5 then that is quite acceptable.

For normal 4K25/30p I think R7 is better than R5 with unlimited recording/no overheating supersampled 7K vs overheating HQ 4K or (pixelbinned) regular 4K. When you want to punch in post you can really see the difference in sharpness.

11 hours ago, herein2020 said:

That was a misprint from one website that spread like wildfire and has since been proven to be false. The DGO feature is enabled in all modes except 4K120FPS. I literally would not have gotten the C70 if DGO was disabled when shooting 4K60FPS since that's the main mode I use.

Well I'm quoting this from cined's RAW update lab test performed just last month:

"In XF-AVC Long GOP C-Log 2 (from 60-120 frames per second) the dual gain output is not active and we loose about 1 stop"

They proceed with full-on charts subbed: Waveform plot of the Xyla21 chart using frame rates > 60 fps with the C70 (C-Log 2)

Looks like it only applies to 60 above in Clog2. Maybe its using S&Q though which uses additional processing to slow down in cam?

11 hours ago, herein2020 said:

How does 8K affect IBIS? R5 has both. Also if 8K drains battery but you have no interest in 8K, just avoid shooting 8K and save battery. Problem solved. As for the editable codec, well R5C is the only non Cine cam that has XF-AVC. 

I understand no IBIS is the deal breaker for you, that said the irony to me is that you chose C70 in the end, a camera which also does not have IBIS !?

8 hours ago, MrSMW said:

I guess it comes down to how anyone defines ‘hybrid’.

Your version seems like a video-centric one with maybe a requirement to sometimes take a still picture (because you don’t mention any photo requirements) and nothing wrong with that.

My version of hybrid is a typical 12-15 hour shoot day constantly flipping between stills and video all day long and if the flip time is longer than 1-2 secs max, that’s too long.

Like I said, we all have different requirements and indeed definitions of hybrid.

Mine isn't necessarily video centric but most of my gigs are either video or photo.

And when I do have "hybrid" sessions, they rarely require me to have to flip from one mode to the other in a split second.

For gigs that may require that, I simply bring along one of my numerous extra camera bodies. Its a better solution anyways because that way I can have different focal length lenses already set up. Changing lenses will take more than 8 seconds so regardless if you need that split second readiness that's the way to go imo. 

8 hours ago, MrSMW said:

But then I split my needs and use 4 cameras…

..seems like you agree. Most wedding photographers I know have 2 to 3 camera bodies. And all the photo/video hybrid wedding shoots I've done, we were at least two shooters dividing duties.

In such configurations, where you have multiple camera bodies and/or multiple shooters, I don't see how the R5C's 8 seconds mode switch is going to be such a big issue.

8 hours ago, MrSMW said:

And the overheating thing with some of them… The other day I had the S5 and S1H on tripods, rolling for 30+ minutes each (had to restart the S5 when it hit 30 mins) at 40 degrees C (104 F)?in the shade, but in direct sunlight.

Both were extremely hot to touch even before I hit record. I’m not sure if the fan even came on with the S1H but neither missed a beat and not a single overheating warning on any of my 4 cameras.

The S1R’s were super hot most of the day as in you wouldn’t want to hold them by the metal parts for too long!

It made me think how those plastic wonders that are the R6 and R5 would have coped…

I take it you were shooting last Saturday? (I'm also in France) What a day..

FWIW the R5/R6 are actually magnesium-alloy internal chassis, with the R5 having painted magnesium-alloy shell with some polycarbonate zones and the R6 all exterior polycarbonate panels bolted to the exterior. This isn't any regular plastic, and has none of the issues associated with molecular dehesion that regular plastics suffer from. It retains its colour, is amazingly lightweight, possesses unique electrical resistance, resists thermal transmission, is UV resistant and offers additional impact resistance and is hard to scratch. 

For this reason, many actually consider the R6 superior build to the R5 that scratches easily. No metal exterior also means no hot handling points in extreme weather conditions like those you're describing. Like I've said I've used it shooting firemen in a state of the art fire simulator in Vendée (first simulator of this type in France) with temperatures reaching 600 degrees C !! Now obviously I did not take my R6 directly inside the simulator during the exercise (I did take an iPhone up to about 200 degrees, and it survived recording for several minutes!) but the R6 was used just outside with bursting flames and still very hot temps and the overheat warnings never came on nor did it feel hot to the touch aside from the dials. By the way, when the warnings do come on, it always seems timer based.

All that being said, screw overheating. My next camera purchase will be for sure a no time limit, no overheat limit camera. But not necessarily full magnesium either for the reasons stated above. 

51 minutes ago, Django said:

Most wedding photographers I know have 2 to 3 camera bodies. And all the photo/video hybrid wedding shoots I've done, we were at least two shooters dividing duties.

I rarely do just photo coverage these days but when I do, just 2 bodies.

Ditto video.

But hybrid capture which is 95% of my pain et beurre these days, 4 cameras.

5 actually because the ZV1 is rolling as backup.

6 if you count the drone!

France yes. Gers based and most gigs SW based but travel all over actually from Normandy to Nice to Switzerland to Germany, but this last weekend, Brit capitol of Dordogneshire, Eymet.

The 40 degrees wasn’t too bad actually because the humidity was not too high.

It was worse the day after in the low 30’s because the humidity was then high.

I was joking about the´plastic’ Cannots 😜

Sounds intense dealing with 5/6 camera bodies but wedding shooting is an intense field (in a way the most stressful for me considering the expectations and chaos ratio). It's also beautiful, emotional etc.

Here in Paris, I still see Canon used by the majority of wedding photogs (a lot are still on 5D/7D/1DX2/3 DSLRs).

Videography: Sony (A7S3/FX3/A9/A1).

Hybrid is still kind of an unestablished domain with everyone choosing its own camp it seems.

Pros are always a bit surprised/curious with my Canon mirrorless. It's still a very CaNikon DSLR/Sony dominated scene.

@MrSMW By the way this makes me wonder how do you deal with Panny's poor DFD AF both for stills & video on something as demanding as a wedding? Spray & pray? 

If I was still shooting weddings on a daily grind I'd probably go 1DX3/R3 or Z9. Plus maybe a Fuji or Leica for candids.

1 hour ago, Django said:

@MrSMW By the way this makes me wonder how do you deal with Panny's poor DFD AF both for stills & video on something as demanding as a wedding? Spray & pray? 

If I was still shooting weddings on a daily grind I'd probably go 1DX3/R3 or Z9. Plus maybe a Fuji or Leica for candids.

Spray & pray?

Spits dummy out.

I’ve never sprayed (other than weedkiller in the garden), or prayed (despite being forced by my parents to be an unbelieving choirboy for 5 years).

I need AF for the video side for a total of around less than 1 minute in 12-15 hours.

Any S camera with a native zoom such as the 25-105 f4 with the right type of AF selected and with the tracking tweaked, plus f8, will track even a pretty fast confetti run.

Leave that on a tripod and hit record with a centre weighted focus. It’ll work. 

Everything else, I use manual focus.

On the photography side, DFD is pretty fast and highly accurate. In some regards, better than PDAF.

If I come back from a shoot with over 2000 frames shot and 10 were out of focus, it will have been me not the kit.

If I had a blank sheet today, I’d probably go R3 or Z9 as my main workhorses.

Problem is, I’d still need 4 cameras as a prime user (except my tracking unit which is a zoom) or 3 if I flipped 2 of my current hybrid units (S1R’s) for 1 single unit such as an R3 or Z9, but then I’d have to shoot a zoom with it in order to run with just 3 units.

I just prefer the ‘purity’ of fixed focal length primes and really do not like using zooms unless I absolutely have to.

But no chance of any system changes in his year despite having a couple of teething issues getting to grips with L Mount (coming from Fuji) but 11 weddings into a season of 33, it’s all beginning to gel now.

Spent most of the first 10 jobs juggling different combos and with the last 2.5 years only providing a total of 6 out of what should have been 60 jobs, it’s only in the last 2 months I have had any facility to work it all through.

I don’t think I’ll make any more changes this season so it’s:

A pair of S1R’s hybrid with primes.

S1H in sticks with cine lens and VND between lens and body for longer stuff.

S5 also on sticks with 24-105 pulling tracking and longer focal length duty.

Crazy good quality coming out of it all now, only limited by the user. Or the muppetry that sometimes goes on at weddings 😉

As things stand, interested to see most of all what the L Mount Alliance produces next…

Actually a note about the use of AF or my use of it…

I do use AF for tracking, but as above, only one dedicated unit set up for it.

My S1H is paired with a cine lens so it’s obviously manual focus anyway.

With the S1R’s, almost 100% AF for stills and almost 100% when in video mode, but purely to get an initial focus lock.

I have red highlighting on cranked to the max.

The AF locks on extremely quickly.

It ONLY hunts if you keep using the AF.

I don’t. As soon as it locks, I flip the lens rocker from AF to manual.

Any doubt, give the focus a twiddle and the zoomed in function comes up with even more intense red highlighting.

It’s very quick to learn, super fast to use and highly accurate.

ie, in video mode I do use the AF system, but purely to get me there quicker than using only manual focus.

Works for me anyway.

As I said in my first post, Canon is relevant back again, it took them few weird years and some uninspiring first mirrorless releases to come to today and offer all these great cameras. At least they try new things and even dare with new concepts such as the C70 and the R5C.

If I had to choose my favourite camera for video right now, that would be the C70, for all the reasons we know and you have mentioned, and considering my personal preferences. I am not so keen on the 5RC, seems like the equivalent of the PHEV cars, it seems like a good matching of two worlds, but eventually it will be surpassed by more specialized ones missing the middle point.

Right now I have a few cameras anyway, and my main job in the industry is sound, so I am not willing to spend that much. I was considering a 2.500€ budget for a hybrid shooter, slightly more to the video side.

I have a myriad of sound solutions/mics and gadgets), and I have EF and some mFT glass, but I live and work on a very hot country so I care for overheating, and I would like to edit natively on a very expensive PC I have.

Things I worry about the R7 are the video files workability, the ISO performance for video (not A7Siii style, just to be better than my 2015 other hybrids). 

I believe I will have to choose between the R7 or the GH6.

How's that Meike ND adapter performing? I have read terrible things for the original Canon, not usable after 4 stops, or something..