GH4 focus peaking

paulraymaekers

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I've only been playing with my new GH4 for at most an hour now.   Focus peaking works well, and during recording.  It could be a bit more sensitive, but I'm going to get a heck of a lot of use out of it.    I think it works even better when you set your EVF to monochrome since the color peaking stands out better. 

I don't have a BMPC so I can't compare the two. 

the sharper your lens the better the peaking is 

Carl Zeiss Planar 50mm f1.7 is peaking heaven , blue lines everywhere as its so sharp

so on older legacy lenses (60's 70's and 80's) you tend to get less peaking on screen, its a trade off .....

Modern Panny lenses are great lots of peaking all the time

• 1 month later...

I know I'm late to this thread, but it isn't anywhere close to the bmpcc. Not sure if the bmpc uses the same one, but you can barely see it on the GH4. I ve adjusted to setting all over, chosen different colors. Maybe it's user error, but on the bmpcc, it is plain as day and washes over the subject as you focus front to back, clearly. If what I've read elsewhere is true, that it really is too fine, the bmpcc blows it out of the water for peaking. Feels as if why even bother with it.

I know I'm late to this thread, but it isn't anywhere close to the bmpcc. Not sure if the bmpc uses the same one, but you can barely see it on the GH4. I ve adjusted to setting all over, chosen different colors. Maybe it's user error, but on the bmpcc, it is plain as day and washes over the subject as you focus front to back, clearly. If what I've read elsewhere is true, that it really is too fine, the bmpcc blows it out of the water for peaking. Feels as if why even bother with it.

Set 'peak' to 'Low'. Might do what you're after as it picks up a lot more. If it's really bright outside choose a dark color and if you're in the dark ...wide open you will get a lot more information, as it needs light to work.

Actually it's really good.  But if you have flat settings like low contrast and up the master pedestal, well just like any other camera it won't be able to find the contrast lines to show peaking.  However if you have everything at stock settings it shows up really well.  I had no problem getting rid of my GH3 because of peaking and zebras on the GH4.