Recommendations for decent portable 3 light kit

jcs

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Is this the kit? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1043614-REG/fiilex_flxk302_k681_3_light_p360ex_led.html

Looks pretty cool, and versatile too + high CRI (90-95). Did it work as expected- you can shoot very hard point light as well as diffuse/soft (with matte box)? For close interviews, looks very nice. Is the light output sufficient for green screen and/or wider studio shots? 400W per light looks nice for portable though (some of the square panels are putting out 1000W each, lower cost, but less portable/versatile).

I researched the spectrum from budget to $3k+ high CRI.

At the higher end, these look very nice: http://www.intellytechusa.com/collections/led-light-panels/products/the-essentials-plus-2x-1x1-50ctd-d-50ctd-plus-1x-1x1-100w-bi-color-nova-ctd . The reported CRI looks excellent as is the all metal build quality. However, the high-end bi-color designs don't run all the LEDs at once (maintaining proper ratios for color temperature control) so they aren't as bright as some of the lower cost units which allow running all the LEDs at once (and thus requiring fiddling with gels to tune color temp).

After reading many reviews and watching demos on youtube, I didn't see a need to drop $3k at this time for better CRI, instead going for decent CRI and more usable light, so I ordered these:

F&V HDR-300 ring light: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J7M71FY/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Yongnuo YN300 (single color version- brighter, can tune with gels): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AZFE5DS/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i02

Yongnuo YN600: http://www.amazon.com/Yongnuo-YN-600-3200K-temperature-Camcorder/dp/B00E4LFP0G

I order the YN600 to test out the adjustable color to see how well it works in practice. It also allows running both colors at once, so it can be very bright (allowing tuning with gels if needed). Only negative review is fan noise, which apparently can be avoided running the panel at 90% brightness which is less than 1/3(?) stop of light loss (reported).

The YN600 and HDR-300 can also run on AC power. All use Sony NP-Fxx batteries (which I already have).

The YN300 and 600 also include wireless remotes.

At $67, if the YN300 works well in testing, more can be purchased and added to a light stand, via cross bar, etc. I would expect two YN300 to be brighter than a single YN600 (all '5600k' LEDs), cheaper, no fan noise, and more versatile. Only issue for longer indoor shooting is no AC power option (can swap and charge batteries).

Hi FilmMan- yeah, I saw that trend in my research. Another reason I opted for brightness/value over CRI and durability (much more $$$). The Alzo at 300w for $650 looks to be a deal (will need a generator or car batteries though for portable use :) ). Those work lights look interesting for the cost. Interesting new Dedos... The Wardbright is beautifully expensive! Nice for a high end set. Thanks for the info!

Your cheap LED shot looks pretty good. I also considered getting some ~$30 LED spot bulbs (http://www.photigy.com/diy-led-lighting-studio-photography-can-30-led-bulbs/). Your next shot is slowmo AK-47 firing at an alien ninja zombie attack force? ;)

Is this the kit? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1043614-REG/fiilex_flxk302_k681_3_light_p360ex_led.html

Looks pretty cool, and versatile too + high CRI (90-95). Did it work as expected- you can shoot very hard point light as well as diffuse/soft (with matte box)? For close interviews, looks very nice. Is the light output sufficient for green screen and/or wider studio shots? 400W per light looks nice for portable though (some of the square panels are putting out 1000W each, lower cost, but less portable/versatile).

Yes, that's the kit.

It did work well and everything looked good. The softbox is a nice key and I packed a tiny reflector as a fill, leaving me with a rim light and a kicker for the background. I also ordered a dome diffuser, and the fresnel lens, which both attach via magnets. The fresnel will give you the hard point that you are looking for.

All that being said, I wouldn't use these for a green screen. There's simply not enough luminance here to do it properly without boosting your ISO through the roof. For wider shots, you could potentially take a white balance and then dial these heads in to match the color temperature (provided that you are working with a single, consistent source). Then you'd be able to add to what was already there.

There aren't any proper reviews out yet since it's a relatively new product, but I've been happy with them for what they are.

JCS,

LED pars are good depending upon the brand.  I tried Feit non par (regular bulb) and there was banding in the video.  I'm not sure if the Feit par bulbs have banding. Tried Cree regular bulb, 5000K and there wasn't any banding.  Tried Cree regular led soft white bulb  and there was banding.   

The  Utilitech 23 watt looks interesting.  1400 lumens would be very bright for a par38.  I may have to try one of those.  Thanks for posting.

The other route is buying a high cri chip led bulb, heat sink, lens, etc.  and try to build your own.     

Cheers

Utilitech 23-Watt (90W Equivalent) Par38 Medium Base (E-26) Daylight Dimmable Outdoor LED Flood Light Bulb

• 1 month later...

I just wrapped up a travel shoot with a three-LED kit from Fiilex (P360EX) that my work bought. I haven't reviewed the footage yet, but it looked good in the LCD. They were a joy to work with -- bright, lightweight, and checkable on my flight.

Used these the otyher day too, very good. The kit box is quite heavy though, but has wheels and handle, which is great.

Also, the LED Z Mini PAR kit is even lighter, even smaller, and almost as bright if memory serves, though it's only a two kit. Great for flights. A lot of punch for tiny lights though...