"Looking" professional and how important is it?

newfoundmass

So today I had a shoot for a new client and when she saw me take out my Panasonic S5 she was a bit taken back. She thought that I had a more "professional camera." She wasn't mean about it, but she genuinely seemed surprised. It just was kind of an awkward situation, I guess in part because this was my first new client since the pandemic made me scale back, and I'd kinda forgotten what that was like. It did however make me wonder if I should've rigged out the camera more, if for no other reason than to make it look more "professional" and to make the client feel as though she was getting her monies worth.

How do others handle this, and is it a consideration at all? I know many will scoff at the idea (I always have in the past), but is this something I should consider more, especially as I work with new clients? I'm interested in how others handle this!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

It did however make me wonder if I should've rigged out the camera more, if for no other reason than to make it look more "professional" and to make the client feel as though she was getting her monies worth.

How do others handle this, and is it a consideration at all?

When starting with a new client, I sometimes just build my EOSM with cheap matte box and a top handle, and then put it in a bag.  When they see me pull that rig out of the bag, they think they think I am a total pro!

Got to put on a show for the client! It's arguably the most important thing to look after the client. That's why you'll have snacks out for them, a monitor, headsets, etc

Why not have 2x S5? One rigged up with all the extras (V Lock / mattebox / preamp-mixer / 7" monitor / EVF / etc) for tripod / shoulder rig / slider shots. 

And the other permanently configured on a gimbal. 

Not only does this "look better" for the client, but it also means you're working better and faster yourself. (as you'll have your S5 gimbal ready to go at a moment's notice)

Put up a light / cutter / diff / bounce / etc as well, even if the effect is only subtle. 

Another thought: a Panasonic EVA1 is dirt cheap on eBay these days, could be a good match with your S5?

I once had a client who thought I brought a ‘different’ (better?) camera from one shoot day to the next because I had Canon IS lenses on the first day and a cine lens and matte box on the next.  And it was a heavy setup either way, 15lbs - Ursa Mini.  

A good compact matte box alone like the Arri MMB-2 can help you work better and faster.  I have a big collection of 4x4 and 4x5 filters and the kit has outlasted many cameras.  

I paid more for the Arri matte box than my Sigma FP.  And the Arri sticker has long come off so it appears unbranded.  As soon as you get a cage and a cine lens and rails on small cameras they become ‘compact cinema’ cameras to the client.  It all blends together.  

34 minutes ago, Ryan Earl said:

I once had a client who thought I brought a ‘different’ (better?) camera from one shoot day to the next because I had Canon IS lenses on the first day and a cine lens and matte box on the next.  And it was a heavy setup either way, 15lbs - Ursa Mini.  

A good compact matte box alone like the Arri MMB-2 can help you work better and faster.  I have a big collection of 4x4 and 4x5 filters and the kit has outlasted many cameras.  

I paid more for the Arri matte box than my Sigma FP.  And the Arri sticker has long come off so it appears unbranded.  As soon as you get a cage and a cine lens and rails on small cameras they become ‘compact cinema’ cameras to the client.  It all blends together.  

Yes, you only have to add a few items before the size of most camera bodies is visually irrelevant.

Sigma-FP-Cinema-Rig.jpg

As someone trying to get the best image quality while actively NOT looking professional, it's extremely inconvenient that this is the case! 

Normally my clients are people that saw me work first hand, so they know what to expect, but this one had never seen me work. I didn't really think to do more than bring my lights, camera, tripod, and audio gear since it was a pretty simple sit down set up... Making it all look like a beefed up cine camera didn't even cross my mind! 

I guess it wouldn't hurt to add my SmallRig mini matte box lite, wooden hand grips, and external monitor in the future? I just never really saw the point in controlled conditions. 

4 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Another thought: a Panasonic EVA1 is dirt cheap on eBay these days, could be a good match with your S5?

I think I'd just buy another S5 or an S1.

When I got home I did this. 20220512_140355.thumb.jpg.8a9775352e6c9b13d001ba407adff105.jpg20220512_140420.thumb.jpg.c82d5264ec4bd1b53f02496b45a72b18.jpg

I guess that does look better. 

Depends on your clients I guess, but it is of near zero consideration what kit I choose to work with as long as I can do a 'professional' job with it and achieve a 'professional' result.

But taking any measures to seem more professional? No, never.

Never had a client give my kit even a second glance. The only people who ever look and talk are camera nerds.

But then I really only shoot weddings so maybe they have lower standards 😜

I once shot an entire wedding season on a single original Fuji X100 and no one batted an eye.

These days, an S1R slung over one shoulder and an S1H with a cine lens is possibly pretty 'pro' for a wedding shooter. And I have several tripods set up. One of them even has an S5 mounted on it 😬

It is kind of up to you. Do you want to deal with ignorant clients that you have to put on a show for? You could also just educate the client and hope they are receptive. Honesty always depends on how much you need the money lol.

Showbiz is inevitably a pretty showy industry although it's a little more justified on the higher end of things. One of the simplest ways to make more money is simply to own more elaborate and more expensive gear, but it's not always the way and capturing good content can make up for any lack of "professional" gear.

I did a short about a month back and pulled out all the big stuff. I actually think we may have been able to do a better job with a small DLSR as we just didn't have the time do be using a lot of the heavy duty stuff we were using. It looked great on set though.

I did a musicvideo last week. I figured what I would shoot with, big F3 to test that baby Alexa sensor, BMMCC to drool over RAW beauty and magic or what not. Thing is I choose my favorite GH5 rig, rented the cam, rigged it up with my stuff. In the end, the camera needs to work for you. BCam was my S1. And it was a great shotgetter. That is much more important than making an impression with size.

14 hours ago, kye said:

Yes, you only have to add a few items before the size of most camera bodies is visually irrelevant.

Yeah, mine is 8 lbs built like this:

unnamed.thumb.jpg.0ef55f2d6c7636dd2d8c2d56aa5000c7.jpg

Follow Focus looks bigger than the camera!

It works well on a tripod and slider, then for some quick handheld I pull the follow focus off and operate with my left hand under the rails and adjust aperture and focus with my left thumb and have my right thumb press the false color button. 

All the weight tips forward though and I have a bag underneath to prop it up on the table. 

12 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

When I got home I did this. 

It's really how well you can operate without coming across issues, maybe the matte box and handles would get in the way in some cases and you've leaned into leaving them off to make it smoother for you.  Using small cameras definitely gives you a lot of options to make different configurations.

3 hours ago, TomTheDP said:

It is kind of up to you. Do you want to deal with ignorant clients that you have to put on a show for? You could also just educate the client and hope they are receptive.

And the client has hired you presumably because they've already seen your work.

16 hours ago, IronFilm said:

I know it's cheap used since I just sold mine but I still feel the EVA1 has possibly the best image under $10k new (Komodo might be better but feels like a lot more work).

It lacks some of the amenities and durability of its competitors and is just a weird product. But the image is amazing. 

Well below is my main ride: S1H + Fotodiox EF-L Mount adapter with built in VND + Meike S35 50mm T2.1 cine lens + NISI 1/8th mist filter + supplied lens hood.

I use this either on my person (90% of the time) on 2 central straps off a Holdfast twin shoulder harness, or tripod off the lens mounted tripod plate.

Total weight = 2389 grams including cards, battery and even that little bit of Velcro I have on top of the lens that locks the aperture in place at T2.1, T2.8 or T4.

(5.27 lbs for anyone that can’t do metric).

I also have an S1R left hip and another (in it’s way) S1R right hip, plus S5 on a tripod.

The latter sometimes has a hotshoe mounted ZV1 but that usually gets it’s own tripod for another angle and is my backup for wedding ceremonies and speeches.

But the main event of interest here is the S1H/cine lens combo and it’s a beaut.

A bit heavy but actually not too bad and now I am properly back into regular work, just did a 15 hour day with it a couple of days back near 100% handheld or hanging off the harness and no issues.

Looks ‘pro’ enough I reckon, but then as I said above, I’m not trying to ‘look pro’ but just using the kit that works for me.

B467D150-41D8-4892-8802-C086A76DB2DB.thumb.jpeg.140c8ef9d5cde6b67bc8f3cdadcb125d.jpeg

21 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

Well below is my main ride: S1H + Fotodiox EF-L Mount adapter with built in VND + Meike S35 50mm T2.1 cine lens + NISI 1/8th mist filter + supplied lens hood

Does this lens cover the full sensor or are you using a crop mode?

2 hours ago, Ryan Earl said:

I only shoot 4K 50p so this slightly smaller and lighter model (there is a FF version) works for me.

2 hours ago, Ryan Earl said:

6 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

I only shoot 4K 50p so this slightly smaller and lighter model (there is a FF version) works for me.

It actually covers full frame as does the 75mm. There is a vignette on the 35mm but I feel its very usable even without cropping in.

This is a shot with the Meike 25mm on full frame, definitely needs a crop to be usable, wouldn't use with a client.

SDIM0084jjjjjjn.jpg

Considering the 75 actually but going to get a few more jobs in with the 50 first and see how it goes as whilst lens choices can be a good thing (though lugging them around is not), there is something to be said for sticking to a single focal length and just making it work.

I’ve picked ‘75’ as mine and I like it.

1 hour ago, TomTheDP said:

It actually covers full frame as does the 75mm. There is a vignette on the 35mm but I feel its very usable even without cropping in.

This is a shot with the Meike 25mm on full frame, definitely needs a crop to be usable, wouldn't use with a client.

Thanks, did you go with PL mount?  I tried the 35mm when it came out in PL and didn't test on larger sensors.