GH3 vs. GH4 vs. BMPCC Comparison

Juan Guerra

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

the general public doesn't notice (nor cares) about moiré, noise and sharpness.

please not this madness again ;-)

the general public does not have the technical vocabulary to describe the image issues they dislike.

but they will non the less appreciate a good quality image and dislike a bad one.

gh4 clear winner here.

terrible raw from the bmpcc but everybody knows that now, prores is better and would have made more sense to compare from to begin with.

thanks for sharing!

The sharpness of the GH4 is ridiculous (in a good way).  You know when you look at old video, and it has a blurriness to it?  I think that's what HD is going to look like in a few years compared to UHD.  Even 4K down sampled to 1080p is a lot sharper.  The 1080p cameras never put out a full 1080 in image detail, while 4K down to 1080 does.

Michael

GH3+4 are sharp (4 is sharper), but they both look like video cams - just nasty to my eyes.

BMPCC should've been shot in ProRes (RAW really isn't the way to go) & it looks way more film-like than the GHs. Also, there's tons of resolution in the Pocket image & any noise that you do get looks v.grain like.

please not this madness again ;-)

the general public does not have the technical vocabulary to describe the image issues they dislike.

but they will non the less appreciate a good quality image and dislike a bad one.

gh4 clear winner here.

terrible raw from the bmpcc but everybody knows that now, prores is better and would have made more sense to compare from to begin with.

thanks for sharing!

I second that, pointless is to embrace the aliasing and moiré as a new trend of filmmaking (E :-)

GH3+4 are sharp (4 is sharper), but they both look like video cams - just nasty to my eyes.

BMPCC should've been shot in ProRes (RAW really isn't the way to go) & it looks way more film-like than the GHs. Also, there's tons of resolution in the Pocket image & any noise that you do get looks v.grain like.

Nowadays it is possible to put any videoish outcome to shine as film stock from your home computer, so it is such a mute point, actually ;-)

The sharpness of the GH4 is ridiculous (in a good way).  You know when you look at old video, and it has a blurriness to it?  I think that's what HD is going to look like in a few years compared to UHD.  Even 4K down sampled to 1080p is a lot sharper.  The 1080p cameras never put out a full 1080 in image detail, while 4K down to 1080 does.

Michael

You just said it shortly what a lot of others are unable to admit to themselves because their multi-thousand camera only records 1080p :D But you will only need a bit more than a grand to be updated, no more excuses for that gimmick prosumer / broadcast / professional / cinema (cough cough) camera :P

Extra detail is good, however detail in the background can be distracting.  You will have to step up your game in composing shots in a major way

Indeed. Anything to bring a significant contribution for filmmaking must be regarded as a bless instead, such as affordable 4K.

Am I the only one here who prefers the colors of the GH3 over the GH4's? Could be the grading though, but IDK, just looks better in my eyes.

Also, I keep being amazed by the GH3. In these wide shots there is of course an increase in detail and sharpness when switching to the GH4, but it actually only really becomes apparent on the 200% zooms. And that's on my 27 inch 2560x1440 monitor. 

I bet most 'normal' people would hardly see the difference on their 21" 1080p monitors.

The difference between those 2 is actually smaller than I thought. Especially taken into account the 24mbps AVCHD of the GH3 vs 2160p MOV files from the GH4...