S1 vs S1R for 4:3 video?

Owlgreen

I'm looking for a full-frame camera and I value stills and video capabilities equally. On the video side, I am particularly interested in 4:3 shooting, using the full height of the image sensor. Highlight rolloff is important to me. I don't mind noise, but I don't like compression artifacts. I am open to using external recorders like the Ninja V, but not particularly excited to. 

To those who have used both the Panasonic S1 and S1R, would you say that the 5K 4:3 10-bit 4:2:0 HLG shooting mode of the S1R comes anywhere near the quality of what the S1 is capable of? Can anyone link me to a downloadable clip of the S1R 5K mode?

Is it known how the S1R's video frames are achieved? Are they always, other than the 1:1 mode, line-skipped? Would you say that the gulf in image quality is greater between the video modes of the S1 and S1R than the gulf between their still modes? Can anyone point me to some downloadable videos of the S1 showing its maximum video potential? 

How are the "6k PHOTO" modes on both cameras in comparison to each other? Do they have recording limits, and are they 10-bit? Are there any downloadable samples out there?

Thanks for your insights.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Well, I would answer in an manner, that the S1 is a great image taker with a great codec. For the money it is the best hybrid in my opinion regarding image and usuability. I don´t use mine much though, cuz I would have liked it to be exactly like the S5 with the form factor and the swivel screen. I dislike the tilting one on my S1. It is very well built but not enjoyable for me to handle. Unfortunately I don´t enjoy my S1 as much as I would a S5 but I keep it for its full HDMI and great EVF.

Codecs are a strength of this camera. SR1, I cannot say anything. 24mpix images on the S1 are no slouch either. 3:2 video full sensor is 24only on the  S1. Anamorphic modes are S35 league and crop.

Thank you, PannySVHS.

It's a shame the S5 doesn't have the S1's EVF. I'm guessing that using the S1 on a gimbal is no fun at all.

Have you tried out ProRes raw to Ninja V recording with the S1? All the internal vs raw comparisons I have seen have been compressed to Youtube so I can't judge the issue properly. I adore raw, but external recorders less so. 

What are everyone's thoughts on the S1 vs the Sigma FP? Forgetting all the practicality differences, how does the picture compare between the cameras? How's the internal 6k 4:2:0 10-bit of the S1 relative to the 4k cDNG of the FP? And then, how is the 6k ProRes raw from the S1 relative to the 4k cDNG from the FP?

Thanks.

I can’t answer your technical questions because technical stuff just bores the shit out of me, but I use an S1R, S1H and S5.

In terms of photography, the S1R is the winner.

For video, the S1H. Obviously…but there isn’t that much in it at identical settings.

For ergos and sheer joy of use, S1H and MUCH prefer it’s rear screen over anything else. (Not a fan of flippy side screens, - they are the devils work).

S5 the winner in the compact/portability stakes.

The S1R is great for video if you are happy with the single option 5k mode. I am and use it maybe 5% of the time or not at all because it’s my primary (only) stills camera.

The S1 is arguably a better video option and for most people, 24mp stills is enough.

Fantastic value used purchase and S5’s are a steal used or new.

If I had to choose just one ring to rule them all, I don’t even need to think about it. S1H all day every day.

Looked at buying another last week to replace the S5 (for reasons of I prefer identical bodies) but damn, they are rare as hens teeth and still over 3000 euros on MPB.

Nothing exists at this time that would make me give up my S1H. Nothing. I’m off to write a love song about it now. Beauty and a beast at the same time.

I don’t know if any of the above helps you but full frame L Mount is IMO a great system and I hope it continues to develop.