Can Lytro Illum be a revolution in filmography?

midloch

I assume that many of us have heard about Lytro. Now Lytro is comming out with a brand new model Lytro Illum. In my opinion it is a great technology and if it can work in video mode it may become revolution.

It can save a lot of time when shooting and save a lot of money for expensive lenses. All you want you make in postproduction. Plastic look and DOF wherever you like on your shot, changing character of your movie not on the stage but behind keyboard.

And where this technology is headed for video:

“If you look at a big-budget Hollywood production today, they’ll spend between 9 and 14 million dollars on just incremental hardware to shoot 3D, because you need multiple rigs. We can do all that in single-lens, single-sensor — that’s a big deal,†Rosenthal says. “You look at the credits at the end of a movie and you see Camera Assistant 1, Camera Assistant 2, Camera Assistant 3… they’re doing focus pulls on set. If you can make that an after-the-fact decision, that’s a pretty big deal.†Of course to achieve that in practice and not just theory, Lytro would need to make a camera that records video. But that’s on the roadmap: “That’s something that largely gets solved as computational power continues on its Moore’s law rate of increase.†Processors double in speed every two years, Moore says; Lytro’s perfectly positioned to take advantage of every increase.

http://nofilmschool.com/2014/04/lytro-illum-camera-refocus-images-video/

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

What do you think?

Meh.

So far it appears to be a mere gimmick to attract the tech geeks. Although in a much better looking package than the first time around. I'll check back to the topic after a few years or gadget generations. It might evolve into something interesting 3D-related, but I won't hold my breath waiting for it.