Are you waiting for the A7s and why?

yiomo

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Lol! I know the C100 is probably the most hated camera here, but I just love the image out of that thing. Weddings and real estate videos are not fun but they pay the bills. I'd rather shoot the great image in camera than spending twice as long grading a real estate video, yuck!
Still, I am intrigued by 4K. Just haven't seen a camera that is a must have for me yet

I shouldn't be hijacking my own thread, but do you believe that the DR of the c100 comes close to the one (presumably) by the a7s?
I am putting down the logistics for a new project in b&w and I do need the highest dynamic range possible. I definitely appreciate the onboard audio, xlrs and overall convenience of the c100 but isn't more focused on events and company videos rather than filmmaking?

Everyone seems to be interested in 4k now and it is quite hard to find reviews about a fantastic 1080p camera for filmmaking. I was initially considering a bmpcc before I started a doc I am filming now but when it is over, I hope my new camera will have a DR equal to the bmpcc.

If you are interested in 1080p, it doesn't hurt to shoot 4K. You can downsample to 1080p for better quality and you build up a 4K-proof archive. That's what I'll be doing!

Indeed, that could be an option. But the whole point is that the polemics against the A7s is that it doesn't shoot 4k internally. I don't care. I want a great 1080p image quality with a great dynamic range. Although the bmpcc would sound like the perfect candidate, it is not without it's limitations...

Gh4 looks like a fantastic all around camera, with great ergonomics. But the IQ I have seen so far is far from what I like - even in 4k. The a7s on the other hand, in 1080p, which is what interests me, has shown some great footage . The smoking fish video. Obviously I cannot absolutely trust a commercial video but image quality wise it is much better -for my taste- to what the Panasonic commercials where and to all the cats and dogs and bridges video I have seen out there.

BTW, I sold my d600 and have ordered an a7.  I've been taking a lot of architectural photos lately and not having a grid or level in the viewfinder makes it difficult.  I don't like using DSLRs in live-mode.  The sound of the mirror locking up unnerves me.  Feels unnatural for the camera.

Anyway, I have Andrew's guide and a GAS-y collection of Nikon glass.  Of course, am curious to test the video against the GM1.  

@araucaria, looks interesting.  I have enough problems without buying field-view equipment :)  I have built my own robotic panorama devices a few years ago.  Not enough room (time) here in Cambridge.  Are you building your own?  What is your idea?  Of course, this is a video forum so this is WAY off subject ;)  Anyway, I also have a pano head, which I plan to use soon to to some stitching again.  

I bought a mamiya 645 lens adapter sinar plate that allows shifting the lens in 2 directions +-20mm, then I bought a sinar front standart, two macro rails, an a big lens collar (I'm going the cheap route ;)). I still need to find a mamiya 645 reverse mount, glue a short nikon macro tube, with this I connect the nikon onto the sinar shift plate, and use any medium format optic on the front holding it with lens collar which sits on the macro rail (So I can focus with any lens). I also need some bellow to put between the sinar front standart and the lens.

I prefer this to panorama stitching because I get a perfect rectilinear image.

But yes, a A7 without mirror is more convenient, the live view and mirror slapping turns me off too.

@araucaria, looks interesting.  I have enough problems without buying field-view equipment :)  I have built my own robotic panorama devices a few years ago.  Not enough room (time) here in Cambridge.  Are you building your own?  What is your idea?  Of course, this is a video forum so this is WAY off subject ;)  Anyway, I also have a pano head, which I plan to use soon to to some stitching again.  

The high mpx full frame sensors around now are incredible for archi work needing perspective control since they open up more movement capability with smaller medium format solutions.  I have made a custom mount to allow the A7R to be used on a medium format technical camera:-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/melting_bloke/sets/72157641407451984/

not a fun camera for creative stuff, but amazing for technical work

The high mpx full frame sensors around now are incredible for archi work needing perspective control since they open up more movement capability with smaller medium format solutions.  I have made a custom mount to allow the A7R to be used on a medium format technical camera:-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/melting_bloke/sets/72157641407451984/

not a fun camera for creative stuff, but amazing for technical work

Looks great, the A7's are like cheap Digital Backs. The only thing that sucks is that it's only 11bit (product shots...). I wonder how the microlenses behave with extreme shifts (I was told that it makes stiching impossible)

BREAKING NEWS  :D

According to mirrorless rumor, the A7S price (which will be officially annouced on May 7 as we know) will be no more than 1800USD. Amazing if true !! 

I saw the rumour(s), too. On the other hand, my nearest dealer has been displaying the A7s in their online store with the pre-order price of 2,999€ (incl. VAT) since the beginning of the month at least. That pre-order price hasn't changed yet, not even after those latest rumour.

I do hope the actual price will be under two grand rather than three grand, but apparently we'll find out soon enough. FWIW, to me the difference between those two speculated prices is the difference between probably buying it and never buying it.

Actually, I'm sort of miffed about Sony experimenting and speculating with the price and not giving it straight out when the camera was released.

I think it should be $1800. Not many reasons for it to be more expensive than the A7 (not R). Sony can price it whatever they want of course. Competition is good, would be nice if it gets a price close to the GH4!

Wasn't there discussion somewhere about the rolling shutter on the A7s making it more-or-less a limited use camera? I can't remember where I saw it, I could have sworn it was this forum.

There was a video showing bad rolling shutter, but the guy who made it said that it was actually something like the 7D. The GH4 also seems to have rolling shutter like the 5DMKII/7D.

We will see.

@araucaria, looks interesting.  I have enough problems without buying field-view equipment

Consider an E-mount to Nikkor lens tilt-shift adapter.  If there is no vignetting with this adapter, the tilt-shift features should work with medium format lenses, with an additional plain, cheap nikkor-to-medium-format adapter.  Of course, it will certainly work as a non-tilt/non-shift adapter for the aforementioned Nikkors.

There are nikkor-to-medium-format tilt/shift adapters, but then you are locked-in to a particular medium format mount, with no chance of tilting/shifting the nikkors.

In regards to the rumored USD$1,800 price of the the A7s, I have always been a loud proponent of full frame sensors/cameras for video.  However, it is disappointing that the best 4k bit rate from the A7s is 8-bits -- and that is only possible through the HDMI cable.

The GH4 can do 4k 8-bits to an SD card for the same price, plus 10-bits from the HDMI cable.  Furthermore, with a focal reducer, the GH4 can mimic a super 35mm frame with an extra stop of sensitivity.

Consider an E-mount to Nikkor lens tilt-shift adapter.  If there is no vignetting with this adapter, the tilt-shift features should work with medium format lenses, with an additional plain, cheap nikkor-to-medium-format adapter.  Of course, it will certainly work as a non-tilt/non-shift adapter for the aforementioned Nikkors.

This won't work because it creates shadows. If you want to use something like this on a A7 I don't see the reason to use anything nikon related. Just use the mirex adapter from mamiya 645 to Canon EF. You can adapt all MF glass to mamiya 645, and EF to E adapters are cheap.