Fuji XH-2/S

Amazeballs

So specs are pretty hot atm:

XH-2:

40mp New Samsung isocell sensor / Stacked BSI sensor design

Possible 8k60, 6k120 ofc 10 bit 422 etc

Imrpoved IBIS and AF 

Price under 2500$

This all sounds just too good imo. Just add to this a nice screen and build-in nd and I'll have to switch from my beloved Sony A7s3 🤷

Camera introduction - end of May

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'd be surprised if it had a built in ND, but otherwise I'd expect Fuji to deliver something pretty special.

I moved from Fuji (XT3) for my stills and video work because I felt the S5/S1H/S1R combo was a better platform for me than the XT4.

Plus, there isn't a single lens (other than the cinema lenses) that Fuji produces (at the time anyway) that I liked for video use, so adapted Sigma.

I'm not looking to replace my Lumix combo (above) at this time/this year, but may well do so next year and a return to Fuji would be my second choice behind a next gen S line, with a 4/3rds Olympus/Lumix now a distant 3rd.

My hope is that Fuji knocks it out of the park with the XH2...and then some time between then and early Spring '23, Pannyboy comes along and kicks everyone's arse because I feel I'm just beginning to get to grips with an L Mount based system and have zero desire to switch to anything that is 'sideways', but quantifiably ahead (of what I have now) and removes the few remaining niggles I have with my current set up.

It will be at least interesting to see what the 2 Fuji XH2 options will be...

1 hour ago, Amazeballs said:

Yes, a tech for small e-vnd for mirroless is not there yet. I assume it should be some sort of on-sensor tech. Or a very thin minituarized version of current e-vnd. 

Blackmagic 6k pro does I think...?

I'm not even that bothered about internal if someone would just make an adaptor to go between the body and lens as Canon does for their R bodies and ef lenses.

Fotodiox also do something for at least Fuji users so there's at least that.

I wouldn't wish to sacrifice anything else to have internal ND such as IBIS however.

The ‘problem’ with Fuji…for me anyway, was they brought out the XH1 which at the time (and still is in several regards) was a great camera.

It was intended as their slightly video-centric but also more robust ‘pro’ platform. And then immediately trumped it for video spec, with the XT3. But no IBIS.

Pissed off a lot of Fujistas at the time, many of whom (like me) wanted the XT3 spec in the XH1 body.

They then brought out an XT4 and went flippy screen which delighted the YooToobers, but didn’t please so much others. Like me.

And other than their cinema lenses and a couple of more recent primes, not much for the videographer.

Much as I love them, I don’t think they really have a ‘pro’ line but are more ‘serious amateur’?

The bottom line for me is yes, they kind of stagnated for a bit but I think they are probably going to pop something out a bit more ‘pro’ with the XH2. Perhaps not ‘fully pro’ like say an SH1 or Canon R5c, but close the gap between ‘serious amateur’ and ‘pro’.

I don’t really like the labels/terms I have used, but I think you’ll know what I mean.

Purely my personal opinion of course!

1 hour ago, MrSMW said:

The ‘problem’ with Fuji…for me anyway, was they brought out the XH1 which at the time (and still is in several regards) was a great camera.

It was intended as their slightly video-centric but also more robust ‘pro’ platform. And then immediately trumped it for video spec, with the XT3. But no IBIS.

Pissed off a lot of Fujistas at the time, many of whom (like me) wanted the XT3 spec in the XH1 body.

They then brought out an XT4 and went flippy screen which delighted the YooToobers, but didn’t please so much others. Like me.

And other than their cinema lenses and a couple of more recent primes, not much for the videographer.

Much as I love them, I don’t think they really have a ‘pro’ line but are more ‘serious amateur’?

The bottom line for me is yes, they kind of stagnated for a bit but I think they are probably going to pop something out a bit more ‘pro’ with the XH2. Perhaps not ‘fully pro’ like say an SH1 or Canon R5c, but close the gap between ‘serious amateur’ and ‘pro’.

I don’t really like the labels/terms I have used, but I think you’ll know what I mean.

Purely my personal opinion of course!

I hear you... in fact... might as well wait for the XT5 - cause it will probably outshine the XH2 and/or XH2-S.

1 hour ago, mkabi said:

I hear you... in fact... might as well wait for the XT5 - cause it will probably outshine the XH2 and/or XH2-S.

I don’t think Fuji will make that mistake again…

It will be interesting for sure but I suspect…and it’s only my best guess that they will be intending the XH2 as their ‘pro’ line with a video-centric model and a photo (the higher res model?) for stills.

The XT line will remain a hybrid neither video or photo specific and aimed at ‘the enthusiast’.

The X Pro line, currently the X Pro3, I reckon will go increasingly photo specific with ‘limited’ video spec as in you could use it for that, but they have more suited options.

So 3 specific ‘flagship’ lines with the lesser XT ‘lite’ models at the lower end.

I’d love to see a pair of fast, say f2 zooms equivalent to the Lumix 4/3rd f1.7 pairing of 10-25 and 25-50. One can but dream…

Fujirumors claims no active cooling... alongside 8K that surely means overheating. 

As a pro, overheating is my #1 concern. With high-resolution & 10-bit manufacturers really need to factor in air cooling. All the features in the world doesn't mean a damn thing if your camera can't make it through the day without bricking.

18 hours ago, Django said:

Fujirumors claims no active cooling... alongside 8K that surely means overheating. 

As a pro, overheating is my #1 concern. With high-resolution & 10-bit manufacturers really need to factor in air cooling. All the features in the world doesn't mean a damn thing if your camera can't make it through the day without bricking.

Very much the same, and the primary reason I invested so much into M43. I cannot accept a camera that has even the slightest chance of overheating for my work. I need to be able to record for hours and hours in sweltering venues without any issues. 

Ditto. 

Most of my wedding is 12-15 hours long and from June-Sep, mostly on 30+C/85+F but can go higher.

Plus often in direct sunlight for hours on end which makes cameras hot to touch even when they are not working.

Having said that, I have never had a camera overheat and the only one I currently have with a heatsink/fan is my S1H.

My old XT3's got pretty hot, but never had a shut off or even a warning.

A few years back though, my old Sony RX100V did. All the time. Too small I guess to dissipate the heat?

The S1H is the target Fuji need to beat for me.

In what way?

Ideally, a tad smaller, though no real issue.

Ideally lighter by say 200-250 grams.

Same kind of screen (and XH1 had a good screen so...)

Otherwise, struggling actually... 

The main thing I am looking for in my next camera body, whenever that time comes, is an amalgamation of all 3 bodies I currently use, into one single body type.

The differences between my current S1H/S1R/S5 are actually quite considerable and the only thing all 3 share is actually the LUMIX logo on the front and the ability to use the same lenses.

With the XH2, at least from the reports, Fuji may have the answer for me, but we'll see...

7 hours ago, MrSMW said:

My old XT3's got pretty hot, but never had a shut off or even a warning.

I had some overheating shut offs on my XT2 shooting just 8-bit 4K24p (arguably in very hot weather).

AFAIK this issue got subsequently worst with 4K60p 10-bit, especially on XT4 because of IBIS and bigger/warmer batteries:

https://youtu.be/bPG1yAJZq4U

I can only imagine what 8K60p / 4K120p would result in with no active cooling.

5 hours ago, Django said:

AFAIK this issue got subsequently worst with 4K60p 10-bit, especially on XT4 because of IBIS and bigger/warmer batteries:

Could be why my XT3 didn’t overheat a single time? Ie, smaller battery and no IBIS.

Had some pretty hot days shooting with it, one of which was 42 degrees C so what’s that in F, 105-100. Scorchio!

I imagine Fuji are well aware of the recent Canon overheating saga so will have something. Surely…??!!

The Sony A1 have overheating problems with 8k? (really don't know)

About Fuji, the rumours say that there will the two cameras - a 40mp that records 8k, and a X-H2s with a new 26mp stacked sensor. Albeit the 40mp model will record 8k, I guess that the "s" model will be more video oriented, with less rolling shutter and probably 120fps modes.

1 hour ago, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

The Sony A1 have overheating problems with 8k? (really don't know)

About Fuji, the rumours say that there will the two cameras - a 40mp that records 8k, and a X-H2s with a new 26mp stacked sensor. Albeit the 40mp model will record 8k, I guess that the "s" model will be more video oriented, with less rolling shutter and probably 120fps modes.

I had the A1 for about three months until I sold it, never experienced overheating during that three month period though.