nikon z6ii: should I move to BMPCC 6k?

gethin

after ~3 years of z6 and then z6ii I'm wanting to focus again on quality rather than speed. 
toyed with getting a ninja v, but just looked at 10-bit prores n-log files, and they're noisy and 🤮 And just watched  a review of the BM video assist with the z6. Heavy and short battery life.

So I'm thinking of the BMPCC 6k pro. I'll have to adapt my nikon glass, and get used to manual everything, and I'll be back to 2 separate cameras for video and stills. 
My other, slightly nutso thought, was to trade in my 2 z6's and a few nikon F lenses and get the z9.  But I suspect I'll still get a nicer video image out of the Blackmagic. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I would base my choice on the type of video’s you make. If its fast output and events that are run and gun, I’ll opt for the convenience of the z6ii. Battery live, autofocus and a color profile to get it right in camera (so forget 10 bit). Either flat or portrait with some adjustments will do. The hassle of external recording and diminishing results is what’s frustrating to you, so use the z6 to its strengths. If you have a bit more control and pre production of the shooting day, the bmpcc would be my choice.

..If you don't like noisy footage, 6K Pro will be a step backwards in that regard for anything above base iso. You'll not only be losing AF but also IBIS. Also keep in mind EF mount means very little lens adapting choice. Finally be prepared for massive file storage requirements. Now don't get me wrong I love BMD IQ and the 6K Pro is great value but switching to it from a hybrid mirrorless system is a much bigger transition than just losing AF imho.

The first thing OP mentioned was quality above all else. The other crucial information needed would the type of production setting/workflow the camera will be used in. OP also mentioned being prepared to manual focus, so this has me believe the shoots are more methodical and can allow for lighting around camera EI between takes, extensive grading, etc. For that, yes, get the Blackmagic 6k or Zcam offerings. Absolutely. These models are made for controlled sets and crew support.

But if that assumption is wrong, and you need anything that is even remotely related to the nature of snapshot shooting, you'd be better off with a sub ~$4k mirrorless system that offers usability perks (AF, IBIS, dual gain/ISO performance, battery life, form factor, and so on).

I'm a one man band when it comes to shooting. My bread and butter is real estate videos (hopefully with a bit more flair than your average shoot - plonk music - edit it in few hours variety).  With gimbal shots, I shoot super wide, fixed focus even on full frame. I've used the face autofocus when shooting talent a handful of times but it is hilariously hit and miss.  The other thing I do is shoot landscape, and factual stuff, some tourism related stuff. The latter is probably where I'd miss the hybrid camera the most, but its a small fraction of my output. I could always hire for those shoots. (Camera assistants and/or gear). 

I admit I've not looked properly into file sizes. I know i'd be dealing with "much bigger", but I've never quantified it - which I probably should.  

@django mentioned noisy footage: I've just been googling it. Thanks this is really good to know. My perception of it was that the noise was excellently controlled.  Knowing that I'll have to ETTR and denoise pretty much everything I do is quite a a turnoff.  I'm happy to be a bit slower shooting, and do a bit more grading, but if I'm adding 5 mins to each shot I work with over the z6,  then that's an extra 3 hours or so in my average edit.   

I wish nikon were doing something with HDR raw - even in stills - with the Z9.  My 9 year old d800 has more dynamic range than any camera I've owned since. That z9 has the sensor read speed and processor to merge on the fly I would've thought. 

I really liked my XT3's except for the lack of IBIS.

Was going to go XT4 in 2020 due to IBIS (plus bigger battery bonus), but when it all went tits up due to Covid, went S5 at the end of the year.

The S5 is definitely a step above the XT3/4 IMO.

You can adapt Nikon glass to L Mount so potential option to consider.

'Better' video capability than your Nik's, but probably a bit less capable on the AF front...but if you were considering BM, AF is not part of the equation anyway.

And they are now stupidly cheap.