Video Camera for Work Panasonic G6 vs. Sony A6000

Sabin

Hi everyone,

I am in a bind.  I need to order a camera today, and I have come to the two choices above.  For now they would be mostly for shooting indoor interviews.  I'm not certain of how controller the environments will be.  They will be shot by someone who has little experience with cameras.  Decent audio is important.

Panasonic G6 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CFCTDD6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER)

• I've been told the kit lens will not be good enough for indoor.
  • We are in NYC, so I don't think I should consider wireless mics.
  • I feel lavalier mics are the way to go for now.  I need help choosing a lav mic that will work with the G6, and be well suiting for interviews.  So far I have the Sony ECM-44B and Audio-Technica AT899 in mind. 
  • Can I just use a XLR to 3.5mm adapter (this one in particular: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000068NZF/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A30BLJGJO43UD4)?
  • Is the autofocus good enough so that if the interviewee moves, it would focus on him?

Sony A6000 (http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Alpha-Interchangeable-Camera-16-50mm/dp/B00I8BICB2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398280001&sr=8-1&keywords=sony+a6000)

• The main concern I have here is audio recording with the hot shoe.  What is there is too much interference for the bluetooth mic option?  Any recommendations?

Also, if you could recommend a tripod, I'd be grateful.  :-)

Thank you!

Sabin

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hi Sabin,

The Panasonic G6 is a good camera for pro shoots.  I'm shooting a company promo video on it tomorrow. The stock camera is not ideal for low light indoors, so you may need extra lighting   Great footage when using primes.

I record sound separately as you can't adjust audio levels on the G6.

I never use autofocus so can't comment on that.  Wouldn't recommend trusting it on any camera for pro video shoots.

The G6 is straight forward to use but you do need to familiase yourself with it before shooting. 

If audio is important, I would highly recommend a system that can not only record high quality audio, but allow you to monitor it as well. I don't think either of the cameras mentioned above do that, so your best bet is to buy an external audio recorder and sync it up either way. 

As far as kit lenses- there isn't a camera on the market currently that has a kit lens I'd recommend for indoor use. No matter what you'll probably want to invest in a prime lens.

Since the G6 is the more affordable option, I'd recommend that combined with a decent lav mic and a Zoom or Tascam recorder. If you really want, you can split the audio signal and feed it in to the camera as well as the recorder, and then just use the recorder as a backup. The point is you can wear headphones and be aware of what is being recorded in real time, which is *crucial*.

Buy the Panasonic G6 its a great camera.

and you have been misinformed the kit lens is superb

it is the newer, smaller. ligher in weight, sharper , better image stabalised version

the ASPH II -

IT IS A KILLER LENS - 2 Aspheric elements and sharper than my Canon L series lenses that cost 5 times what this does.

Canon kit lenses are very average

Pansonic kit lenses are very very good! they dont make average lenses

Hello Sabin,

buy an external audio recorder, and record both on camera and with the recorder, you never know...

i would choose the lumix, i think they are equaly good but i choose the devil i know usually  B)

and i would get a 50mm or 85mm standard lens, 

buy a good tripod like a manfrotto or the new line from benro and a video head. i think benro is a bit cheaper, 

when you decide on the model check the weight of the camera with the lens, you dont need an expensive tripod because they dont weigh much, but there is nothing worst than a flaky tripod, it needs to be sturdy.

also i think you are going to need some lights..

br

Buy the Panasonic G6 its a great camera.

and you have been misinformed the kit lens is superb

it is the newer, smaller. ligher in weight, sharper , better image stabalised version

the ASPH II -

IT IS A KILLER LENS - 2 Aspheric elements and sharper than my Canon L series lenses that cost 5 times what this does.

Canon kit lenses are very average

Pansonic kit lenses are very very good! they dont make average lenses

Andy- I have it. Its sharp enough, but that's NOT what the OP is asking about. They want something suited for indoor interview situations, and the kit, while being pretty sharp for a kit, is not fast enough to be well suited. At 42mm (since you don't go wide on an interview), it only opens up to f/5.6, which I don't need to tell you pretty much stinks. I'd never go smaller than an f/2.8 in that sort of situation, and even on the widest end it only opens up to 3.5. If you think this kit is an ideal interview lens, I think you're kidding yourself!

I have both..I´m falling in love with the A6000..I have the 18-55mm old kitlens for A6000 and the powerzoom 14-42mm for G6.

When I compare both.. the G6 with kitlens against the A6000 kitlens ...the A6000 is sharper ..(this suprised me)

I use Zoom H1 for audio if I do an interview..the mics on a6000 are better (but no external mic input) 

Tomorrow I get my black E 50mm 1,8 ..should be perfect for interviews

Either camera will do, but in both cases youll want to use an external recorder- otherwise youll have this really long, awkward wire dangling from the interviewee to the camera. Also as others have said, youll want a prime lens. Kit lens' aperture is too small and will force you to use noisier ISO levels. The Sony E 50mm f1.8 is a superb lens apart from its focus ring has an extremely long throw, which makes manual focus a real pain.  Both cameras have great autofocus systems. The Sony will track movement much better though.

there are these things called lights !

stick 2 Redheads either side of the person being interviewed and f5.6 is just fine...

I have done 100s of corporate interview talking head films in my time and NEVER have I turned up without lights indoors - you would just get laughed off the job .....

I would not advise anyone doing talking head interviews with just available light - it will not look professional ...

get a set of lights to do this properly

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Professional-Studio-Video-Continuous-Lighting-Kit-800w-Red-Head-with-Dimmer-x-2-/111125966407?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19df9fae47

stick 2 Redheads either side of the person being interviewed and f5.6 is just fine...

I have done 100s of corporate interview talking head films in my time and NEVER have I turned up without lights indoors - you would just get laughed off the job .....

I would not advise anyone doing talking head interviews with just available light - it will not look professional ...

get a set of lights to do this properly

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Professional-Studio-Video-Continuous-Lighting-Kit-800w-Red-Head-with-Dimmer-x-2-/111125966407?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19df9fae47

Of course you should have lights- that's not the problem. Part of the point of the large-sensor look is being able to separate your subject from the background. Part of that is achieved by creative lighting (contrasting), and the other is with DOF (wide apertures). 

There is a balance, as maxotics mentioned, where you don't want to go TOO wide that your subject drifts in and out of focus, but saying you should shoot at f/5.6 in the average indoor interview environment sounds more unprofessional than showing up without lights IMO!

I usually use a lowel kit consisting of 3 lights with diffusers and reflectors. Still, my favorite interview lens is a 50mm F/1.4 and I stop it down to about f/2.8 to give a nice separation from the background. If that isn't possible or there is too much light, I'll place the camera farther away and use an 85mm instead. I just can't imagine trying to do this with that slow kit and getting results I am happy with.

Then again, to each their own and if that's working for you, keep doing it! I just can't imagine how it could work. Can you share an example perhaps?

The OP wrote "They will be shot by someone who has little experience with cameras.  Decent audio is important."  I think we've all got a little off-track.

Seems to me the g6 with wired Technica lav plugged into it would be the best option.  The Sony hotshoe thing is a pain, and it may overheat, or at least run down faster than Panny.   I think we all agree, if we're talking video only, the g6 is almost idiot proof or, rather, I wasn't able to make many mistakes with the g5 I once owned ;)

I'm curious what camera you use Dishe and more about how you do it.  Thanks!  Like, do you still feel LED too color -problematic to use over lowels?  Etc.

exactly that why I said G6 with kit lens bought as one package straight out the box and 2 lights is easy to do , he's not having to learn all this other stuff as they have little experience with cameras - they are not suddenly going to buy a bunch of prime lenses and get into narrow dof stuff ...instantly ....

as its newbie doing this

Depends. For me f2.8 was just about right on a 100mm on the 5d. Look wise that is. It just looks way more flattering to the interviewed than 5.6 with smaller sensors.