Panasonic GH4 to ship in Europe from 5th May

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

Just a brief note: Panasonic have given me a ship date for the GH4 in Europe. First shipments leave the factory last week of April destined for Germany. Shipments to dealers start after the May 1st holidays so from the 5th the camera will be almost ready to ship to customers.Read the full article here

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Had to return my test sample today... :(

Already missing it. Going to get one ASAP :)

I'm curious how long it will take before there is a real competitor (same price range, internal 4K recording, hybrid stills/video). I can't even see the A7S as a direct competitor because it will be at least twice the price with the required external recorder, that only will ship by the end of the year.

Looks like Panasonic has a great year ahead.

Samy's Camera in Los Angeles got a shipment of GH4s late last week, including a number of units that were not reserved for preorders. As soon as the word got out, all of those units quickly sold out. I'm not sure why Samy's got its first shipment so early (before the official April 30 release date in the U.S.). My preorder on Amazon is still scheduled to ship on April 30. 

I'm curious how long it will take before there is a real competitor (same price range, internal 4K recording, hybrid stills/video). 

About 5 months.  ;)

I can't even see the A7S as a direct competitor because it will be at least twice the price with the required external recorder, that only will ship by the end of the year.

An external recorder for the GH4, brick or a monitor, will cost the same.

Whether it'll be a direct competitor or not may be a matter of taste, and depend on one's personal needs. With the whole 4K infrastructure being so young still, I don't think the A7s will be late from anything yet.

Although Panasonic will no doubt get plenty of advantage, thanks to the pricing, hype and early availability. Even if one won't shoot 4K yet. Wouldn't mind having one, but if I buy one, that will have to wait a good while longer than May fifth. 

@Quirky: it's my personal opinion. For the GH4 I don't need an external recorder. I can record 4K internally. I don't need anything extra, €1499,95 gets me everything needed for 4K shooting. I can always buy a recorder later if they are widely available and cheaper for even better quality.

Even if the A7S body gets the same price - or a bit lower - than the GH4, the base cost for 4K shooting is a lot higher. Of course it's the closest competitor right now, but I don't have to doubt for a second. Even if they'd be both available now. Not because I'm a fanboy. I just want the best for the least ammount of money.

• Administrators

The reasons to go for the A7S are 1.0x crop instead of 1.5x crop and having to use Speed Booster, otherwise 2.2x crop.

And the low light performance.

Let's see what dynamic range is like on the A7S that might also be impressive.

There are very few other reason to get the A7S over the GH4.

@Quirky: it's my personal opinion. 

Ditto.

Not because I'm a fanboy. 

I've never implied such thing. No need to defend your acquisitions, either. Your life, your money, and so on. 

Like I said, it's a matter of taste, and depends on your personal needs. 

Besides, you brought up the A7s angle in the first place, not me. We're all just sharing our personal opinions here.

Peace.  ;)

Just saying, not saying it because I think you are calling me a fanboy :P

I mean, I also 'need' (read want) dynamic range, low light performance, 1x crop... I just can't see a solution that is double the price (at least!) as direct competition. Yes, the A7S + external recorder might still be relatively cheap, but I'm not willing to spend that much money on it for what I do with it. If the A7S would have internal 4K and would cost lets say €2000, then I'd have to think about my next purchase. Now I don't and in a way, I like that simplicity ;)

Can anyone recommend a good mid-grade memory card that might work best for shooting with the GH4? 

Bang for buck, I don't think you can go wrong with the new Transcend 64GB /128GB cards they have released. I haven't used Transcend cards before, so can't comment on reliability. But the cost vs performance, I can't see an equal!

I have ordered 2x the 128GB cards - they work out at 80€ each. That is for a guaranteed write speed of 30MB/s - I can't find cheaper!

Not sure where you are based, but here are a US and UK linky:

BHPhoto  -  http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1044487-REG/transcend_ts128gsdu3_128gb_sdxc_uhs_i_u3_r95_w60mb_s.html
Amazon UK - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transcend-128GB-Class-Ultra-Memory/dp/B00J3KA8JG/ref=sr_1_5?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1398243263&sr=1-5&keywords=Transcend+128GB

I used this card during my tests:

41gK0zcAx9L._SX225_.jpg

Didn't have any problem with 4K. Not sure if 1080p 200mbps works well for long recording times, haven't tested it.

I tested a number of cards (Sony 95mb/s read 30 mb/s write), all 'old' but fast. Pretty much everything worked fine for 4K recording.

Bang for buck, I don't think you can go wrong with the new Transcend 64GB /128GB cards they have released. I haven't used Transcend cards before, so can't comment on reliability. But the cost vs performance, I can't see an equal!

I have ordered 2x the 128GB cards - they work out at 80€ each. That is for a guaranteed write speed of 30MB/s - I can't find cheaper!

Not sure where you are based, but here are a US and UK linky:

BHPhoto  -  http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1044487-REG/transcend_ts128gsdu3_128gb_sdxc_uhs_i_u3_r95_w60mb_s.html
Amazon UK - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transcend-128GB-Class-Ultra-Memory/dp/B00J3KA8JG/ref=sr_1_5?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1398243263&sr=1-5&keywords=Transcend+128GB

I have been thinking SD cards for my future GH4. I had a look at the Transcend 128GB but know very little about Transcend cards (Reliability wise)

Also someone on personal view was mentioned doubts about 128GB cards working on the GH4. I don't know why they wouldn't but would like someone to confirm if they are ok before I make the purchase.