4k cinematic movies worth buying

leslie

Ok since i joined the 4k fan club with a 4k tv and associated 4k dvd player not to mention the 4k cinema camera i have, ( that doesn't get as much use i as i thought, well not so far anyway ) and the shift in forum focus. I was wondering if its worthwhile having a thread cataloging the better  "cinematic" movies out there. That would be worth having in a collection. 

Where i live its pointless trying to watch a full length mover over the internet. Some of you may get excellent connection speeds where you live and thats great, but for me its easier to wait for it to come on dvd and then purchase it.  Which brings us to another issue the price,  a new release 4k or uhd is $ 40  australian where i am, bluray is $29 and plain old dvd is $20 usually. I could add, we probably get gouged here but there's not alot of options.

Ideally i'd like to filter out the dross and save a few dollars which is where you fine people come in. Feel Free to add to the list and advance any movie that you feel adds a worthwhile cinematic contribution. Lets keep the spoilers to a minimum, However a paragraph explaining your thoughts would be beneficial 

First off i'd like to start of with Dune or the 2022 take on it anyway.  I'd describe it as "epic", worthy of that description in every sense of the word.

Next i feel the need to add would be blade runner and blade runner 2049 both visually extraordinary  and worthy of addition. 

The last i'll add is a bit of an oddity as its a collection of timelapses. Tom lowe was the 2010 astronomy photographer of the year. His  timescapes  dvd is visually extraordinary and worthy of addition.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Think of 4K equipment as cleaning your glasses before watching a film.

If it was shit, cleaner glasses won't help.  If it was good but not to your taste, you'll just get a clearer view on why it wasn't for you.

Buy what you will enjoy.

Incidentally, anything shot on film would benefit from a 4K release, as they're likely to remaster it and take more care in the digitisation process than perhaps they were able to do when it screened.  Plus, the scan might be from a higher quality copy, rather than the more degraded higher generational copy that was actually being projected in the cinema.

I've heard people say that film has higher resolution than 1080p, but by the time they duplicated it the copy in the cinema that people got to see was only around 1080p, which is why when cinemas went digital it made sense to project 2K.  However, the film scan for a 4K remaster would be from the best quality copy they could find, so may well benefit from being >2K.

Films I've enjoyed seeing in 4k HDR on a projector are mainly those I was too young to see at the cinema and as mentioned have been digitally remastered such as The Shining (great quality and colour), Apocalypse Now (love the grainy cinematography), 2001 and then more recent films like The Matrix benefit from the remaster. One film I would love to see in 4k HDR is The Fall by Tarsem Singh

In my experience; any classic film that has been properly restored and transferred to 4K will look absolutely amazing in comparison to any copy you have seen in the past. This is especially true for black & white films. Recent examples like The Godfather and Citizen Kane are well worth it.

In contrast, recent films, especially those captured digitally, you probably won't see much of a difference between the 1080p and UHD versions.