R5C VR Test Footage (with Canon 5.2mm 2.8L Fisheye VR Lens)

HurtinMinorKey

Below are links to some very rough, ungraded VR180 shots with the R5C using the Canon 5.2mm 2.8L Fisheye VR lens. Note, I’ve only tested these in Virtual Desktop (on a Samsung Odyssey), so I can’t vouch for them in other formats. Please download before playing for best quality. 

First things first, I wanted to show the ramifications of the fact that Canon’s EOS VR Utility cripples a crucial feature of the R5C for VR: being able to shoot 8K in 60fps.  You cannot use the VR Utility on raw files (only with MP4), and since the R5C only records 8K60fps in RAW, you are shit out of luck (at least until someone finds a workaround—which will probably involve rendering your files in an NLE, creating an MP4 version, and then spoofing some metadata so the EOS Utility thinks you are using a native Canon file).

Anyway, here’s the first 8K shot at 30fps, and then the same clip sped up X2 to simulate the 60fps look (you can see the judder is significantly reduced—although this will vary depending on what HMD you are using—I’m using the Samsung Odyssey because the extra contrast from OLED is worth the loss of resolution IMO).  I chose a seen with a lot of movement intentionally. If a scene has less movement, you probably won’t suffer as much from the 30fps.  

8K 30fps: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uGmzJJzMnw6ZVo5S0kFaHSp6SQ6kdFZW/view?usp=sharing

8K 60fps: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GGP6O0hRt8MFjcKfcXmiiy4nyANUZyqA/view?usp=sharing

Now for some shots in 4K at 60fps. I also included versions sped up (in post) to 90fps, so if you have a 90hz HMD you can see what a big difference it makes to have your fps match the native refresh of your HMD. The 4K is clearly softer than 8K, but not bad. It’s most noticeable on objects in the distance. Things up close generally look quite sharp, even in 4K.  In fact, I’d say the best image is taken of a subject that is between 4-10 feet away (which is much closer than the trains in this video).

First sequence in 4K:

60fps: https://drive.google.com/file/d/19iV1KAwc9AKK1cLtqttZsaW0guMwgC92/view?usp=sharing

90fps: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1igs1_ErnqWhMDSwocaDw8xlJ2jJU2B8t/view?usp=sharing

Second sequence in 4K:

60fps: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QM5tDfHzXO5-GX-TlwdG7ifJeOfzjfvQ/view?usp=sharing

90fps: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1u8lVM0Z_GYxkxatW81msPzJ8pmcZM7pR/view?usp=sharing

Last, some random still images, which don’t do the camera justice. The stills feature is great, the resulting images are very smooth from edge to edge, which is not something I’m used to. Typically a stereo image gets very distorted as you look 90 degrees in any direction.  However, this only makes me more frustrated that I can’t shoot 8K 60fps in video.  

Still Images: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PBR8sLXu4-GqiSPlBxz6ErmXxp7EfYSH/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BRvRbbTusFd4EfLTacC-VFDwFGq_YVO4/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tVipjBXyyJiAQWz3Ktw8SjEH9XxoQZ20/view?usp=sharing

FWIW,  I tried to shoot 4K in the 120 fps mode, but It looked like noisy garbage, when I tried to speed it back up to normal speed. There might be something wrong with my workflow here, but Canon forces anything about 60fps into a Slow Framerate mode, and you can’t just take regular speed video at framerates above 60—so it’s possible there is a big quality loss from this process internally.

Note: All video clips edited in Adobe Premiere with the Canon EOS VR Utility plugin.  The premiere plugin is a must on PC, otherwise you are stuck rendering your videos in the native Canon EOS Utility App, which will turn your videos into a blocky-compressed and ungradable mess. If you have a MAC you can render in PRORES using the native app (or so I’m told), but I haven’t tried it. I can’t Canon charges $5 a month for the app, it looks like it took $5 to create.  Really all its doing is transforming the image(s) so that the two circular images (two dots) recorded by the sensor will fill up the entire frame.  

PS: let me know if you have trouble playing any files. Most are file are h264, but the 90fps are H265.

• 2 months later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I am also extremely disappointed by their lack of support for raw/60 fps. I messaged and heard back from Canon Canada that it's not supported, and they have NO plans or anything in development to support it. Too bad they don't care that they're handcuffing the current best 180 camera on the market.

I guess something with support will come from a different company that's fully useable, and this set-up will disappear in a couple of years and be forgotten except of those of us that spent good money on it. What a shame.

• 2 months later...

Anyone find a work around for 8k60 files?  I can't believe I'm even typing this after spending $7500 for a canon R5C and the fisheye lens SPECIFICALLY for 8k60.  We're just trying to apply an equirectangular projection to the file.  How have other people pulled off 8k60 180 videos with the Canon R5C and fisheye lens?  How can they advertise 8k60 if you can't process the file with ANY software?  I even tried the mistika VR trial... cannot find a way to put an equirectangular projection on my 8k60 files.  I was able to manually swith the eyes (how the hell did that mistake make it to the camera?!?!!) but the footage is unuseable if you can't change the projection.  There has to be a way to just export the file as an mp4 and then change the metadata.  

• 1 month later...
On 9/8/2022 at 3:34 PM, Adam Kontras said:

Anyone find a work around for 8k60 files?  I can't believe I'm even typing this after spending $7500 for a canon R5C and the fisheye lens SPECIFICALLY for 8k60.  We're just trying to apply an equirectangular projection to the file.  How have other people pulled off 8k60 180 videos with the Canon R5C and fisheye lens?  How can they advertise 8k60 if you can't process the file with ANY software?  I even tried the mistika VR trial... cannot find a way to put an equirectangular projection on my 8k60 files.  I was able to manually swith the eyes (how the hell did that mistake make it to the camera?!?!!) but the footage is unuseable if you can't change the projection.  There has to be a way to just export the file as an mp4 and then change the metadata.  

Can you post a small sample of 8K 60fps RAW? I'd like to look into any options on converting this or a work around.

• 2 months later...

Here is a test video from the Canon R5, shooting in 8K DCI All-I Clog3 and using Canon's VR Utility with its built-in Clog3 LUT. I outputted 8K H264 8bit from the utility. Clips were losslessly merged, injected with VR180 metadata, and uploaded to YouTube.

It is a true 3D VR180 video, but you can only see the 3D with a suitable VR headset. Without that it is 2D but you can still look around with your mouse (PC) or by moving your phone.

The video should be 4K, but it is not yet.

Man, thanks for your posts on these three option routes (before along with GoPro 11 / FX30) I sincere praise as best ones out there : ) Much appreciated for your tests (now on VR180 potential side WOW) I also guess match your shooting style. This RAW sample then says a lot from it how brings some real upgrade, not only specs on the paper : )

PS: I am just a bit stuck on EF lenses because of the revolutionary new Panny AF offer now to pair IBIS and all the usual goodies coming from them, we'll need to couple both I'm afraid LOL ;- )

• 4 months later...

Hi, has anyone else discovered slight glitching and random sporadic frame blurring when exporting to H265 4:4:4 using the EOS VR Utility in Windows?  It is very annoying and renders the footage useless. Seems this feature in v1.2 has not been fully tested (unless it is my system).    

• 5 months later...
On 6/7/2023 at 1:02 AM, Robo-T said:

Hi, has anyone else discovered slight glitching and random sporadic frame blurring when exporting to H265 4:4:4 using the EOS VR Utility in Windows?  It is very annoying and renders the footage useless. Seems this feature in v1.2 has not been fully tested (unless it is my system).    

Are you using the new tracking feature? That can do some weird things to the footage. 

• 1 month later...