Possible GoPro 4 specs leaked - shoots 4K and 1080/120fps

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

use some decent lenses on it.

Hardware hacks probably would be easy.  

That's a small sensor though:  5.75 × 4.28 mm.  Even with lenses built for 16mm, 10.26 x 7.49 mm, you'd have some extensive cropping.  

And, Ooooooo, what about our precious shallow DOF?  How can we shoot anything without shallow depth of field!  No one these days is allowed to make movies unless the DOF and bokeh is incredible.  I'm pretty sure one's DIY cinematographer's credentials are in danger of being revoked if an aperture is closed down beyond f4. 

The chip specs have been released for a while but I'm calling this particular leak ...bogus ...because ...

"You shouldn’t to have" is really bad english ! As well, there are other grammatical errors but I hope the image stabilization part is real !

These mock images of the Hero4 have been doing the rounds before the 3+ was released.

If a 4 was around the corner - why not announce at NAB? But knowing GoPro, they are very similar to Apple. No news and then - bam, Order your Hero4 today!

I think we can all believe the 4 will be exactly the same size/dimensions as the 3/3+ as GoPro have had a flurry of new accessories out for the 3+ now.  3D housings, black housings etc etc

If they really have this up their sleeves and didnt show it off at NAB, that was just dumb. Why would not want to show your new 4K camera off to all the pros who will buy a few of them. 

I don't know if making that sort of splash is as important to a company like GoPro, where the product is at once "niche" and ubiquitous and they have a huge percentage of the marketshare. Someone else mentioned Apple, and I think that's a good analog for the type of market GoPro operates in.

Really badly written.

"GoPro Hero 4 is really capable of recording video in 4K"

"GoPro Hero 4 will also come with a 13-megapixel photosensor and a completely new lens for shooting in dark."

"remote viewfinder playback which is extremely easy to use. You shouldn’t to have special technical knowledge or skills to do it"

" GoPro Hero cameras are amazing because they have a waterproof housing with a flat lens for shooting under water (up to 60m). Built-in Wi-Fi module, USB & HDMI – the only thing that brings it closer to homeliness."

"Action Cameras of GoPro have become extremely popular as an excellent way to capture high-quality video at high speeds relative to the price that usually is $340."

This isn't a professional press release - at least, not one that was originally written in English.

Really badly written.

"GoPro Hero 4 is really capable of recording video in 4K"

"GoPro Hero 4 will also come with a 13-megapixel photosensor and a completely new lens for shooting in dark."

"remote viewfinder playback which is extremely easy to use. You shouldn’t to have special technical knowledge or skills to do it"

" GoPro Hero cameras are amazing because they have a waterproof housing with a flat lens for shooting under water (up to 60m). Built-in Wi-Fi module, USB & HDMI – the only thing that brings it closer to homeliness."

"Action Cameras of GoPro have become extremely popular as an excellent way to capture high-quality video at high speeds relative to the price that usually is $340."

This isn't a professional press release - at least, not one that was originally written in English.

Really badly read.

"Possible GoPro 4 specs leaked - shoots 4K and 1080/120fps"

My first go-pro bricked the first shot I took with it (lame) --so I sent it back and never followed up with replacing it.  However, I'll be getting this guy for the specific reason that having a 4K cam to fly in a cheap DJI will be invaluable for certain productions.

My Hero3 black bricked right away too, though apparently in my case just fiddling with the settings, pulling the card/battery in and out fixed it. But recently had some broken video clips, recoverable but frame rate halved and macro blocking everywhere.
And along with short battery life + battery leakage I wonder how this camera became such a hit with professionals that complain about every imperfection a real studio cam has... image quality is good, lightweight and the case protects the cam from anything but man, internal reliability a little?

Really badly read.

"Possible GoPro 4 specs leaked - shoots 4K and 1080/120fps"

It's a fake press release designed to fool people. Knock yourself out if you want to remain open to every bit of bullshit on the internet, but I think a bit of skepticism goes a long way.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Have you guys seen this?

Z54ON12.jpg

deDtoDX.jpg

~ http://petapixel.com/2014/09/25/gopro-hero4-revealed-4k-video-30fps-first-built-touch-display/

I remember the early guesses where based on the Ambarella SoC...

1EpM1QH.png

Not entirely the case... But it does have a usable 4K mode at 30fps now and the 1080p at 120fps for example.

'official announcement date for the GoPro HERO4 cameras will most likely be October 8th, 2014'