Julian

Recently I got a cat, so now I can make proper test videos :P

Panasonic GH4 firmware 1.0
Lens: Minolta MD 28mm f/2.8 + >Petit Cinevision 1.5x anamorphot

4K @ 24 fps (3840x2160)
Cinelike V profile, ungraded

All shots at f/2.8, 1/50.
ISO around 4000.

Soundtrack: "Menehune Dance" by James Pants (jamespants.com)

gallery_20742_23_58037.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

That looks really good for ISO 4000.  It's a fairly sharp anamorphic, looks small too.

How are you liking the GH4?  Easy to work with the 4K MOV files?  Did you upload it 4K or did you downconvert to 1080?

BTW you have a very resourceful cat.  Fat cat @ 00:25!  LOL!

Are you calling my cat fat!? :p

I absolutely love the GH4.

I bought a 5D Mark II a while a go to shoot ML raw but actually I never use it because the workflow is just too much trouble for me.

The GH4 is small, it has pretty much everything you need. Great EVF, great flip screen. Focus peaking, zebras, good customizable profiles, electronic level. I love the 96 fps slomo. The quality isn't as good as normal 1080p but it is a lot of fun to use. Also it has a perfect built in time lapse mode, and electronic shutter so it won't wear out the camera.

The 4K 100mbps files are very easy to work with. In Premiere CC I don't notice any difference with 1080p, only exporting takes longer (like 25 minutes for this video). I'm using a 3 year old pc: Intel i5 2400, 16GB, GTX660, SSD for software, files are on a normal hdd. Haven't tried grading in resolve yet, will do soon.

I edited on a 5760 x 2160 timeline but Premiere doesn't let me export that size (max 4096), so I exported to 3840x1440 because I think that will scale the best on 1080p screens. You can download the 4K file from vimeo.

For me it's a perfect camera. I'm just a hobby shooter, I can just grab it and go... No need for rigs or whatever extras. Can adapt pretty much every lens to it. Just have to grab a speed booster of some sort.

Only wish I have left is stabilisation. There aren't many native m43 lenses with OIS, except for the zooms and they are either cheap with small aperture or pretty expensive (12-35mm 2.8). I'd love some cheap-ish primes with OIS.

This anamorphic lens is tiny btw.

Wow! I see a not bad at all iso performance here! Thanks for sharing this, i'm every day more sold on this camera! I'm not a colorist but for being a 8bit footage it seems to grade fairly well too. The lens is simply spectacular, and your cat is nice too! :D

PS: "around 4000 iso " means 3200? 4000? 6400?

You can get MD adapters for like $15 shipping included from China/Hong Kong. MD lenses are cheap too, that 28mm 3.5 you have will probably sell for like 5 or 10 dollars... Can't decide for you if it's worth it. They are cheap, probably too soft for 4K wide open. But then again, it costs next to nothing.

• 4 weeks later...