EOSHD changes direction, explained in blog post

Andrew Reid

Just now, kaylee said:

if u wanna actually do this, you need a great script which ppl LOVE, something brilliant, and you need to determine a budget if u wanna produce it asap

what's your projected budget?

and you want to write a BOOK first? a NOVEL? sure, but this'll take a while and you may lose a lot of your [long] novel when you get to boil it down to a screenplay... 

I don't write anything without a concept of budget -- how could i? am I writing a $100 mil film or a $1 mil film? there's a big difference!

and you're going to crowdfund the budget? tell me more

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 minutes ago, kaylee said:

if u wanna actually do this, you need a great script which ppl LOVE, something brilliant, and you need to determine a budget if u wanna produce it asap

what's your projected budget?

and you want to write a BOOK first? a NOVEL? sure, but this'll take a while and you may lose a lot of your [long] novel when you get to boil it down to a screenplay... 

I don't write anything without a concept of budget -- how could i? am I writing a $100 mil film or a $1 mil film? there's a big difference!

oops

Potential story line. Based on a true story.

Potential to develop the various themes alluded to by Andrew - do we really control our own lives? Manipulation of junior staff. Rejection and alienation when things are no longer perfect. 

“Save Me”

A young recently qualified doctor has the world at her feet. Attractive, intelligent and ambitious, she wants a career in emergency medicine. 

And she is getting what she wants.

She is also saving lives.

She is used to relaxing at the end of a hard shift. Having a drink with friends and colleagues. Casual sex if and when the mood takes her. Lifestyle choice.

Nothing wrong with a drink after work. 

Nothing wrong with enjoying life.

She attracts attention. Not just because of her looks but because she works hard. She wants to succeed. She is eager to participate in research and writing papers and doing an extra shift.  

More saving lives.

“We should have a chat about what’s next…”

“We should discuss your project ideas…”

“We need to decide your next move…”

“We’ll go for a drink after work…”

And, she can’t say no. It’s a ladder and she’s looking up from the bottom rung. She wants to climb. Choices.

And she’s still saving lives.

A drink. On Monday. A meeting on Tuesday. In the bar. Dinner Wednesday.  Wine.

Lunch on Thursday. Only a glass of Chardonnay. Patients won’t notice. They’re being saved.

Senior staff delighted to be discussing work with her. In the bar. The restaurants and nightclubs in town. Looking after her future in the profession. Helping her. Nurses commenting about them being seen out with “the blonde” again. Massaged egos. Manipulation. 

Choices?

Who controls her life?

Another drink. Might as well have a glass before leaving the house. Shame not to finish the bottle.

Spiral. Descent.

Patient complaint.

Management meeting.

Quick drink to prepare.

Suspension pending investigation.

Friends are suddenly too busy to go out clubbing. Colleagues are working that night. 

No problem. The local bar is open. New friends. Buy them all a round. Money not an issue.

[insert steady decline into alcoholism]

No friends. No money. No job.

Hope?

Casual sex. If someone is paying.

Drink. Theft. Drink. Violence. Drink. Sex.

Drink. Theft. Drink. Violence. Drink. Sex.

Friends and colleagues.

They no longer return calls or emails. 

Too busy saving lives.

Different friends. Know where to sit on the street and beg. Know where to find alcohol. 

Suicidal thoughts.

Despair.

Hope?

She pleads.

Who will save me?

[insert ending]

Happy to help!

It would be splendid if the "fullofhimself" director would be played by Philip Bloom or Froknowsfoto or better by the Angry Photographer but he is probably to nice.

It think keeping it simple is a major priority. It feels like the two workshop situations could already be enough discrepancy. Controlled environment, cast can improvise, etc...All the things mentioned like, power,"terror and alienation, loneliness and dumb stupidity"etc. will be woven in by dress, acting, situations in the play.

Plot twist? While Alienated Heath giving the workshop, the Uni is being stormed by a Fret boy that is feeling hard done by to start a massacre. 🤪

x

On 4/7/2022 at 4:05 AM, kaylee said:

I don't write anything without a budget. am I writing a $100 mil film or a $1 mil film? there's a big difference!

As a friend put it: "I am not willing to invest more than 250EUR into a short" (my remark: when I´m a DP for a shortfilm without guaranteed distribution and festival run.) 🙂 But that kid was kicking ass for his 250 or 350EUR!

I'm looking forward to the movie. And it's a great idea to go back to the root of filmmaking, which is to actually make a film. And I'm really interested in the new direction of the forum.

Talking about gears and technologies is great, but sometimes, it is easy to get caught up with all these things and forget filmmaking is so much more than just cinematography.

It was after I started to make my first short film have I realized there is so much to learn about filmmaking. And with each short film I make, I learn something new. This is much more rewarding and exciting than talking about gears all day.