Filming a Live Gig - If it can go wrong, it will go wrong!

Bioskop.Inc

This will probably go down as one of my worst filming experiences:

1) Ideal wide shot unavailable because the venue has loads of big support beams scattered around, which block everyone on stage.

2) The main act have so much equipment that the support band are scattered into small spaces (the drummer is behind some keyboards & the bass player is doing a balancing act at the top of the stage stairs - he does fall down them at one point).

3) The only available wide shot is the worst wide shot in the history of wide shots.

4) The band play the wrong song during their 10min sound check & so you get what you get as far as close ups go.

5) The band insist on recording their own sound (better quality) & they forget to record the first 1m48secs of the song, so you have to use some of the sound you recorded with the 60Ds internal mic.

GOOD GRIEF!

So this is what i managed to put together:

Canon 60D (H264), Mir 1b & Iscorama 54.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

its not that bad! i like the closeups and atmosphere, my only objection is going for half color/half b&w. I would prefer it if it was all unified.

why did you choose the b&W?

br 

Thanks, that's v.nice of you.

I suppose on the upside it'll never be that bad again.

The use of Colour and B&W was to make the distinction between the different time zones - the gig & after the gig.

And i converted the concert footage to B&W because during the set they were showered in this horrible Pink light & the band didn't like it.

So it was simpler to go B&W with H264.

Respect for pulling off what you did...the Fleece is not exactly film friendly - those pillars are incredibly frustrating for photographers and videographers alike.

Thanks Hans.

Wasn't sure it was going to be that bad, but knew it was a problem. And to make things worse they now have these big speakers hanging from the ceiling, just to make sure you really can't get any sort of decent wide shot!

More bummed about the missing sound & it was a miricle that i'd left it turned on on the camera.