EOSHD interview with Panasonic manager about the GH6

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

Thanks for posting this. @Andrew Reid I really enjoy your older work. Before you sell off the site, it could be fun to see you revisit some of these classic cameras.

For a site based on gear and tech and how they merge to create a craftsman's tool, one intangible variable, often overlooked is mojo and it oozes from some of these older cameras. I don't know what has changed over the past 10 years, but these newer cameras seem to lack it.

On a side note, I came to your site for your reviews and stayed due to these videos that accompanied them.

Thanks and good luck with your future endeavors. 

• Super Members
15 minutes ago, mercer said:

I don't know what has changed over the past 10 years, but these newer cameras seem to lack it.

Don't think its necessarily the cameras myself.

Its mainly the move away from slowing down, seeing the composition rather than just the opportunity and using the lost art of putting it on a tripod.

Too much running, too much gunning and not enough cunning these days.

22 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Its mainly the move away from slowing down, seeing the composition rather than just the opportunity and using the lost art of putting it on a tripod.

On some level, you're probably right. Slowing down and finding the shot based on what you want to communicate will yield better results. Even in this video, Andrew's use of Dutch Angles superimposes a different feel of the city. It's like every puddle has a story to tell.

With that, I still feel like there is something missing from these newer cameras. With all of their advancements in color depth and resolution, the images look more brittle and similar. Obviously, there are exceptions...  and maybe I'm just being nostalgic.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Blimey blog posts were a lot shorter back then!

Not as short as a social media post, but not a book either.

Fond memories.

• Super Members
18 minutes ago, mercer said:

With that, I still feel like there is something missing from these newer cameras. With all of their advancements in color depth and resolution, the images look more brittle and similar. Obviously, there are exceptions...  and maybe I'm just being nostalgic.

I think perhaps a lot of the similarity aspect might be to do with there being so much more received/perceived wisdom about the best way to expose and colour footage etc now than there was a decade ago so a lot of people ploughing a very similar furrow.

Back then people were finding their own way and working within what they had in camera a lot more, particularly as the then £250K DaVinci colour correction suite had yet to be released as a free of charge piece of software, so there was a lot less fannying around in post.

At some stage, helpful advice and shared experience morphed into dogma and many people end up singing the same song.

An example of which would be a sizeable amount of Tokyo Rain Cinematic videos you'd find on YouTube now would have a substantial amount of slow motion in them as that is the common expected aesthetic. 

Also, life was a lot less shit ten years ago so there's that as well.

5 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I always said, EOSHD library is a treasure chest. Forum family just didnt seem to hunt for it enough. Member posts are also gems to be treasured dearly.

Andrews interview with Lumix GH pieces is my favorite journalistic camera piece of 2022 so far! Had to watch the GH1 piece and GH2 anamorphic in Spreepark Berlin.

Thank you very much, Andrew. Great form, taste and article! @Andrew Reid Giving back some memories with the Spreepark piece!

@mercer Well said, Awesome! Great mojo of older and interesting tech is exactely the mojo and asset of this site!

4 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I agree with @mercer that it's true in my experience.  I've shot at length with the GH5, including doing many tests to try and understand the best settings and colour grading treatments, but when I bought a BMMCC, put a lens and monitor on it, and then waved it around at the beach, pulled it into post and did basic adjustments, all of a sudden I had some of the best images I'd ever shot.  My level of cunning was no different when shooting on the BMMCC than on the GH5, either before or since, so I think it's a valid test.

The images I got from my Panasonic GF3 and vintage lenses also had some magic to them that the GH5 does not willingly provide either.

As you know, I've tried and tried to find what explains these differences, designing and executing test after test with controlled and isolated variables, and come up empty on basically every occasion.

7 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Had the opportunity to interview Masanori Koyama, product planner for the GH6 and S1H:

https://www.eoshd.com/news/interview-with-panasonics-masanori-koyama-product-planner-for-the-gh6/

Hope you enjoy.

There are some interesting comments in there from Masanori Koyama, and although a lot of it is "PR level" communication, it is interesting the way he talks about the overall vision and hinting at how they are trading-off features against each other.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the 1080p Prores HQ and the RAW files that come out of the GH6 once the firmware update is released.

On 3/31/2022 at 1:40 PM, BTM_Pix said:

Already said that it here, but repeating myself - this single video made my buy a GH2. 🙂

Awesome colors until today (except, maybe, the greenish skintones, a trademark for Panasonic until the GH5). Noisy by the current standards, but these colors...