Steve Huff On The Camera Review Game

BTM_Pix

57 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Special lenses that can spot elven spirits in the woods?

Just this morning I was considering this very thing.

Damn, but as you got there first, I’m happy to not contest you on this.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Holy crap! I started loosing interest with the Sony 7R2 review, because I felt some oddity shining through his message about the cameras that "might be for me, don´t have to be for others". At first he focused his reviews on the underdog and niche cameras. With the R2 review it was all big releases after another.

Gee, I never I figured he has been a ghostspotter. His otherwordly youtubechannel has been around 2012 even! Crazy! Would have never thought that. I am not into Hifi though. 😀

Started a third video of his ghost expertise. Not easy to watch at all! Puh!

But he quit the camera review game. 🙂

20 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Until it all goes wrong, the spirit jokes about his balding head and he ends up smacking the ghost in the mouth Will Smith style.

That´s right. And date of the video is three weeks before his info video about the camera review business. Don´t wanna post it here, cuz I kinda feel uncomfortable. "You´re bald!" The ghost sounds like he is making fun of Steve Huff big time, even kinda mimiking his voice.

Some videos with 10Mio+ viewers on his channel!

10 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Some videos with 10Mio+ viewers on his channel!

Maybe he found an audience more gullible than camera nerds?

The politics are probably easier to navigate too, considering that you can make videos about the dead without worrying about lobbyists or PR departments and audience members can't ever fact-check you!

I suppose there is always the possibility of getting a fatwa declared against you, but that's nothing compared to the retribution of Canon fanboys when you criticise Canon about, well, anything really.

• Administrators
4 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

I may be wrong, but I know I read a few months ago that to have Phase Detect in a camera you have to pay Sony a royalty for every camera you sell, and probably a huge upfront fee to even start. 

No that's only for Poltergeist Detect mode.

• Administrators
38 minutes ago, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Never had heard about that Steve's ghostbuster channel.

Now that he makes hifi review videos, I'm dying (oops) to see his testing a XLR interface with phantom power.

Hope he doesn't get any interference on the line.

The paranormal thing is amusing to me.  

A decade back or so in my hometown there was a rapper/filmmaker that would go around to different regional neighborhoods and make docs about places that were "haunted".  Some rural and some urban.  Didn't matter.  He'd just make these haunted films. All were horribly crafted.

In the middle of it all one of his co-producers approached me for advice.  They wanted to make the films technically better.  After explaining what they'd have to spend in time and money to do that, they (rightfully) said, "The hell with that" and kept making the films their way.

He'd then hype the hell out of whatever film he had just made.  He's instinctually good and marketing --and there's always and endless supply of people desperate to believe in the afterlife.  Thousands upon thousands of of people would go to his screenings.  He'd sell out 1,700 seat old-school movie houses.  They'd buy his DVD's and his other merch.  He did this year end and year out, eventually parlaying the shtick into a producing gig with a major studio.

The dude was ahead of his time, but maybe the time eventually just came around to him?  Or maybe our culture is what it is.  Worked for Barnum too.

Don't know...whatever hustle mojo the rapper guy made work for him is remarkable.  God bless him, he made a career out of it!

All that's just to say that American filmmaking is ultimately a commercial endeavor, quality be damned -- even though some art does comes out of it occasionally.

Eh.  I'm rambling.