Steve Huff On The Camera Review Game

BTM_Pix

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 hours ago, Yannick Willox said:

I honestly dont know if it is so different from centuries ago. We remember maybe 5% of painters, or composers. Or that one blacksmith that made a fantastic blade.

The problem now is we see all of those wannabies and amateurs pretending to be something they aren’t - all on a big pile in just one place !

and they are getting paid for it…

That should not withhold us from maintaining some kind of standard.

I think there is an element of fact in that but also there are more people than there ever has been with more access to tools that are ever easier to operate and a platform to inform the world that reaches more people by a factor of x 1000+.

By that or any logic, far more and arguably some even greater artists exist, but at the same time, the body of water has increased exponentially…

A Mozart or a Davinci was a big fish in a relatively small pond.

His or her equal now live in an ocean.

That doesn’t mean they can’t be seen or heard but rather they have to work harder to be found.

I know that even in just over 20 years, there are at least 5-10x more people offering a wedding photography service now than there was back then and there are more ‘better’ photographers than there was in 2000 also. On another level actually.

Back then it was easy to be found and it took maybe 5% of your time and effort at most meaning you could spend the other 95% effort in your craft.

It is almost impossible to put a definitive number in it today, but I’d say for effort alone, it’s more than 50% of what I do, - being found and seen/heard.

And I think if you can remain authentic and that has a market, you can do well.

8 hours ago, MrSMW said:

for effort alone, it’s more than 50% of what I do, - being found and seen/heard.

And I think if you can remain authentic and that has a market, you can do well.

Yup. Which is why, at my age, I feel as if I need to bow out of this career.

(low level corporatey one-man-band sort of thing)

In that space it doesn’t make sense to compete with the young’uns are willing and able to navigate it. 

What it was, for me, isn’t what it can be…so yeah… not sure what’s next for folks in a similar situation. 

Toward the end when I was doing weddings it became a race to the bottom also. So not much has changed I see.  But in my market, there was no one at the time that was making or even charging Crazy money. But you had to charge pretty good money because in my era everyone was using a Hasselblad that was taken seriously. And even used that stuff was and still is big bucks.

But I gave it up because mostly I got tired of spending every damn weekend doing it! The money was good, and, in my era, people respected each other on average more so there were a lot less Karens and Bridezillas lol. But even back then you spent a lot of time "being found and seen/heard". also. That part I doubt will never change. And that part I think is the least fun part of the game.

Being in business for yourself, I have had 4 of those adventures, is a hard way to make a buck. Sometimes even the worse punch a clock job is far better in the long run than some pretty successful self-employment. Stress sucks and it can ruin not only you but friends and family to boot. A lot of times it is just not worth it in the long run.

I figured Not being a wedding photographer would not mean me and my family would eternally starve to death, or all end up taking a poison pill to end our lives. We all ended up better not worse because of it. More family time is what most men my age regret looking back at their lives. You can never make that up. 

3 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

Yup. Which is why, at my age, I feel as if I need to bow out of this career.

(low level corporatey one-man-band sort of thing)

In that space it doesn’t make sense to compete with the young’uns are willing and able to navigate it. 

What it was, for me, isn’t what it can be…so yeah… not sure what’s next for folks in a similar situation. 

Well I don’t know your age and I’m 51 myself  which even to me sounds ‘old’ on paper, but I don’t feel any older than maybe 35?

I’m not talking about the, “who are you kidding mate?!” scenario but most folks I meet at weddings think I’m just over 40…but the reality is I was started shooting weddings when most of my clients were at kindergarten.

I also have plenty of industry mates well into their 60’s and still holding their own in this industry.

I’m not planning on going past 60 myself. I just reckon that the 30 year point will be a good time to call it quits.

In the meantime, I’m not even slightly bothered about the cheaper guys. They have always existed and some even make it, but I just do my own thing and for 22 years that has worked for me.

What does my closest competitor charge?

Don’t know, don’t care.

Who is my closest competitor?

Don’t know, don’t care…but it’s not the guy charging less than 50% that I do know.

I think it’s relatable across most industries and for YouTubers etc ie, it’s a constantly evolving situation and you do what works for you.

There’s parts of my job I don’t much care for but compared with a 9-5, 48 weeks per annum, with a commute each day? 

Not many options out there I’d swap my situation for.

1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

I will be 75 years old in a few days. 

If you have a 9 to 5 job you like that's not a problem.

Happy pre birthday wishes then... 

Even in 9 to 5 jobs there are those that are married to it.

Whether your a boss, employee or self employed i think contentment or a balance is the key. 

I liked my last job, then covid hit and i probably did two weeks work in two years. In that time my dad got ill, became pretty frail has alzeimhers. So now the government pays me a pension to take care of my father which includes showering and wiping his ass once a day. 

Let me just say any job where you dont have to wipe someone's ass is a good job lol.

I only do it as he's looked after me his whole life, now its time i repaid the favour. Still i feel blessed, fortunate, lucky, i own my property, i live in a country with a pretty good health care system and there are no doubt people much worse off than me.  

If you are really lucky you have friends you work with that you do things together with their and your family, like boating or camping, heck even hunting, fishing. That is when even if your job sort of sucks the enjoyment of friends overcomes it all.

Yeah the butt wiping would be a bit rough no doubt, but hey it would probably be worse if it were your mother. 😬

I just had my Gallbladder removed a month ago and I feel a Lot better. I now only feel like I am 93 lol. I am lucky, I am not gimped up so feel great.

• Super Members
26 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

His "Miracle Box" app for communicating with spirits seems to be doing quite well for him.

He just needs to be careful that the spirits he's communicating with don't have names that can inadvertently lead to creating phrases that are so hilarious that they can bring the facade of even leading TV programmes about it crashing down.

• Administrators

Turns out we've been wasting our time with Wifi apps for the EOS R5.

This one is number 88 in the Utilities chart on Apple App Store

Only has 2.7 rating however and the developer's name is all lower case "chris rogers" which is always a bad sign.

On 3/27/2022 at 12:13 PM, MrSMW said:

started shooting weddings when most of my clients were at kindergarten.

Glad you found your angle.  I tied weddings years ago and just couldn't jibe with it.

So I went corporate video.  And I found my level in it over the years.  My level and space is diminished now-a-days with the development of tech.  Clients that I'd make nice, simple, and polished vids for in the past have moved onto DIY.  Can't blame them.  If it accomplishes the same, why not?

In 2021 My 5 year old nephew made almost the same money doing videos on YouTube than I made doing videos for clients.  That's true.

So, there ya go. 

I've thought very hard about whether or not I should try and do some sort of production for YT monetization.  I've decided I'd rather not.  I'm just not interested in chasing that stuff. I don't have any passion for it.

• Super Members
1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

This one is number 88 in the Utilities chart on Apple App Store

Only has 2.7 rating however and the developer's name is all lower case "chris rogers" which is always a bad sign.

My favourite line from the description is :

It will not work for everyone (no app or box does). 

I was curious about the reviews, this one on Play store caught my eye :

It actually works!!!! Not fake like the other apps.

I just wonder how many spirit decoder apps one has to go through first before thinking that maybe its a load of old bollocks. My limit would be less than one so credit to that user for having the patience to do the heavy lifting for everyone else so that they can now buy the real deal.

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

So the question for EOSHD is, what should I pivot to now...

Special lenses that can spot elven spirits in the woods?

Maybe you can review lenses that can spot unbiased reviews on YouTube?

Probably need to start with something like this though.

1974067641_bigsigma.thumb.jpg.d3b69c9e3a98d2ba2e3064b3699237db.jpg