Ursa G2 in 2022?

seanzzxx

Hey Folks!

I am currently saving up for a 12K. I got offered a really good deal on a secondhand 4.6k G2 with viewfinder, cards, etc. I would get the camera for roughly the price of a 6k pro and pay the rest in on set labor. I am however doubting with the 4.6k G2 no longer being supported through firmware etc... What do you guys think, am I a fool to turn this down or am I a moron for buying an older (2019 year) unsupported camera while there might be new stuff on the horizon?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Well, I´d say there are a couple of things to consider:

• What kind of work are you planning to film with the URSA? 
  • Do you need a final resolution of 4k+x?
  • Do you have enough storage in case you get the 12K?
  • Do you have the editing-capabilities for 8K/12K Footage?
  • Where are the areas you would profit from the high resolution of the 12K the most?

I´d say right now, the URSA G2 is the Nr.3 Camera in BMD´s linup, maybe sharing the 3rd Place with the Pocket 4K because of the dual native ISO. Second place goes to the Pocket 6K/Pro and first  Place to the 12K Ursa.

What kind of firmware updates you you expect for the G2? I think there won´t be anything revolutionary, same for the Pocket 4k, except maybe another sets of BRAW Compression Options.

I expect the URSA G2 to get a new version in the future, maybe an 8K FullFrame Model? Maybe BMD focuses more on the midrange cameras, keeping the 12K as their flagship.

A fully rigged G2 with EVF and shoulderpad for 2000 USD? Go for it. Nuff said, besides the NDs, changeable mount, S16 crop, framerates, the Dual Gain sensor. All in a light and pretty sturdy body. I would go for it! G1 was awesome and used prices for full sets with cards, EVF, etc, are still higher than 2000 - 2500 USD, around 3500 to 4000 USD.