First impressions of the Panasonic GH6 I have on loan

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The opening made me laugh so much! 

I am hoping they rush a firmware update to fix the issues you're having. 

One of the most interesting things I've noticed in the reviews so far is how good the colors look, and how accurate they remain even at high ISOs. While Canon and Sony beat them in low light, their colors get gross the higher you get while the GH6's colors still look good (though noisy.) 

I’m thinking that for 99% of users, for 99% of the time, the S5 is a better option.

Unless anyone really really really needs the ‘extra’ video capability of the GH6, S5 for me all day long.

Except for the rear screen. The GH6 spanks the S5 there.

S5ii with phase and the GH6/S1H rear screen and happy days.

I'm currently on Canon/Sony/Leica systems. I've been on Nikon/Fuji as well. GH6 is the first Panasonic camera I'd consider. That's kinda saying a lot.

From the footage I'm seeing, it looks like the colour science has been greatly improved. Add a very detailed 5.7K ProRes IQ and enhanced dynamic range, and that's a winning combo imo. 

Lack of dual or why not even quad pixel AF is baffling though as Andrew's hilarious intro decries.

I mean if OM Systems did it on their first MFT attempt. Why can't Panasonic get it right on their 6th iteration?

The other image quirks are also of concern. Especially after all the release postponing. 

Did the new sensor manufacturer mess something up they need to fix in firmware? 

Whole thing is a bit curious. This camera needs more testing as everyone has been rushing to deliver their hands-on review.

1 hour ago, MrSMW said:

I’m thinking that for 99% of users, for 99% of the time, the S5 is a better option.

Unless anyone really really really needs the ‘extra’ video capability of the GH6, S5 for me all day long.

99% ?!

5.7K / 4K120p / ProRes / DR boost are extra video capabilities well worth their weight in gold.

Apple & oranges though really. FF vs MFT. 

Some great features:

Punch in to check focus while recording is a game changer for me. I means they can stick with their funky AF as I can always check focus like I did with my C100.

Flip screen thingy is excellent.

Full HMDI

All the 10bit 4k etc and especially ProRes.

I'm sure it'll pair really well with the 10-25 f1.7 and 25-50 f1.7

Does it have the digital crop without losing quality in 4K like the GH5? That was a great feature. Made the 10-25 into a 20-70 f1.7 equivalent.

In saying that I think the FF Panasonics are great and I don't think I'd go back to M43 (just sold the 10-25 f1.7 as well!). What I'm really interested in is having punch in to check focus on the FF cameras, full HDMI on the next S5and the same flippy screen, FF 4K 50p 10bit (not so bothered about 100p and over) and in camera Prores. I imagine a S1Hmk2 will show us if that's going to happen as the S5 is still a new camera. A FF 20-50 f2 and 70-100 f2 would be amazing.

3 hours ago, Django said:

99% ?!

5.7K / 4K120p / ProRes / DR boost are extra video capabilities well worth their weight in gold.

Apple & oranges though really. FF vs MFT. 

Well that also...

For real filmmakers, I guess so, but for us that do say wedding video etc, we don't 'need' any of it.

But yes, different use case etc...

DR boost is fine and all but still one stop less than the S Series. So, no I'm not selling my S5 for the GH6. Extra IBIS is nice too but I don't walk with my camera and for tripod shots the IS boost give approximately 1.5-2 stops more to the S5's 5 stops. Prores is useless for me as well as 5.7K. I don't see any meaningful difference and I don't want to deal with the huge files. 4K is plenty enough for my use and if I want a bit more I can live with my S5's 5.2K internal. Which I almost never use. The only thing I envy a bit is 4K 120fps but either 4K60fps slowed down with Davinci's Speed Warp or 150fps FHD upscaled to 4K with Topaz Lab's VEAI is enough for my needs. And 120fps I use only once in a blue moon. I'm not a professional, I know, but I don't think the GH6 interests me. Maybe in a couple of years to a discount price but still .. GH6 plus Speedbooster plus lens...it's huge for running and gunning handheld stuff.

53 minutes ago, projectwoofer said:

DR boost is fine and all but still one stop less than the S Series. So, no I'm not selling my S5 for the GH6. Extra IBIS is nice too but I don't walk with my camera and for tripod shots the IS boost give approximately 1.5-2 stops more to the S5's 5 stops. Prores is useless for me as well as 5.7K. I don't see any meaningful difference and I don't want to deal with the huge files. 4K is plenty enough for my use and if I want a bit more I can live with my S5's 5.2K internal. Which I almost never use. The only thing I envy a bit is 4K 120fps but either 4K60fps slowed down with Davinci's Speed Warp or 150fps FHD upscaled to 4K with Topaz Lab's VEAI is enough for my needs. And 120fps I use only once in a blue moon. I'm not a professional, I know, but I don't think the GH6 interests me. Maybe in a couple of years to a discount price but still .. GH6 plus Speedbooster plus lens...it's huge for running and gunning handheld stuff.

The dynamic range in the highlights on the S1H/S1/S5 is better however it quickly falls apart in the shadows. They all display vertical banding when underexposed. This is something overlooked in dynamic range tests. I also think the 4k 60p on the GH6 looks a lot better than the cropped 4k 60p on the S1 series.

I see what you mean the the S5 is pretty damn good and is full frame, so the want to switch won't be for everyone.

6 minutes ago, TomTheDP said:

The dynamic range in the highlights on the S1H/S1/S5 is better however it quickly falls apart in the shadows. They all display vertical banding when underexposed. This is something overlooked in dynamic range tests. I also think the 4k 60p on the GH6 looks a lot better than the cropped 4k 60p on the S1 series.

I see what you mean the the S5 is pretty damn good and is full frame, so the want to switch won't be for everyone.

Interesting...I haven't noticed that with the shadows but I generally try not to push highlights and shadows too much in post. Good to know though. My workflow with S5's 4K60fps is to add a Neat Video node with a very subtle noise reduction and NV's sharpnening tool on 100% for the tiny details only. To my eyes it's then indistinguishable from the regular 4K24fps. The 4K60fps from the GH6 I really can't judge from YouTube.

• Administrators
31 minutes ago, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

You've made the video private, Andrew?

Yes, the intro no longer is appropriate given today's events.

Going to re-do the video and post it later when had more time with the camera.

I am still in shock with all this... What the hell is it? History will judge and have no mercy, no matter how wild the wildest of our dreams are : X

Truth is external to us, we adhere to or are out of the game, no doubts on it.

My prayers and thoughts with all my brothers wherever they are.

Too sad and bad all this, strange days these we're living today in 2022...

: (