Sigma update on their (upcoming) full frame Foveon sensor

Anaconda_

Sigma recently released a statement about a three-layer image sensor that they want to get into a camera and onto the market as soon as possible. I hope they can get it ready soon. They first mentioned in in 2019 with loose plans to release in 2020, but they obviously had some hangups. Glad to see they've not given up on the idea though.

https://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/update-development-of-sigmas-three-layer-image-sensor/

https://www.sigma-global.com/en/news/2020/02/08/10874/

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 2 weeks later...

I admit to being tempted by one of these odd sensored beasts. From memory the Quattro and h use sigma lenses right ? I mean it’s hard to adapt lenses to them ? 
Since I already have a bunch of lenses to use any body I buy must be able to utilise said lenses. Not the least bit interested buying into another lens system but that’s just me.

• Super Members
7 hours ago, leslie said:

From memory the Quattro and h use sigma lenses right ? I mean it’s hard to adapt lenses to them ? 

With the SA mount, you are pretty much limited to M42 adapters.

Leitax do a mount product for Leica R where you physically change the mount so you would need one per lens.

The "limitation" of only having an M42 option is all relative, of course, as there are plenty of excellent affordable lenses out there.

Sigma dropped the SA mount for new cameras to concentrate on the L mount so any new Foveon will be in that mount, but you can still buy the lenses which include ART favourites like the 18-35mm, 50-150mm etc

I wonder if it will be TRUE Foveon, as in three full-colour layers, or not?

IIRC the later DP Quattro cameras were not quite true stacked equal RGB layers like the earlier ones, and used some trickery to get over the sensitivity downsides, though I'm googling and drawing a blank.

I had the earlier DP3 Merrill for a while, and colour and resolution wise it was phenomenal, but was so insensitive it was quite a problem getting clean pictures. You really needed to be using it at ISO100 TBH

• Super Members
1 hour ago, jgharding said:

I wonder if it will be TRUE Foveon, as in three full-colour layers, or not?

I'm guessing that from the protracted development cycle then it might well be going back to that as well as going full frame.

You'd imagine that they could have put the SD Quattro into an Fp body relatively quickly and I'm still surprised that they haven't as an interim version.

Switching to L mount would open up their own APS-C 16/30/56mm f1.4 lens range which would be an absolutely great match with the existing sensor.

Being in the Fp body would also mean it not being built like a brick shithouse.

I think they're committed to full frame though and I'm hoping that the delay is also being caused by them managing to squeeze video out of it. 

I'd take APS-C and video over Full Frame and not.

I love the FP camera. As a concept.

I couldn't use it however because it's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too compromised.

But get the next one at least to a certain level of usability and I'm in.

As long as they keep it L Mount.

A funky new sensor could be just the ticket.

I was always intrigued by their Quattro range, but based on the fact that you could really only use them in daylight killed it for me.

I did try an FP-L kindly loaned to me by Sigma France and whilst I could forgive the lack of a tilt screen and IBIS, the banding under certain light for stills killed it stone dead for me.

Pity because the quality from the files was stunning.

An FP for video would have been great...if it had 4k 50/60p, a tilt screen (can be had after-market) and IBIS (monopod if I had to). I could have gone for that despite the latter 2 compromises, but the former meant I couldn't go that route.

Paired with an FP-L for stills. Again, I could overlook the tilt screen and the IBIS, but the banding...aaaaargh.

Just a fatal flaw with each, for my needs.

Fingers crossed for the next one. If there's a next one...and maybe the Foveon sensor could be the icing on the cake...

8 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

MrSMW owns a S5 and S1H, no need for a a7iv. 🙂 @webrunner5

I held a Sigma FP in the hand for a short time and it did not resonate. Plus, not having a mechanical shutter is not

appealing neither to me. I think the rangefinder style FF camera with 10bit video and IBIS would be great for the L-mount lineup and for me.

Plus an S1R 😉

MrSMW has considered the Sony A7iv (hybrid use) and the Canon pairing of R5 (stills) and R6 video and I cannot deny there is some appeal…

Just not enough.

If AF was my primary requirement, then sure, I would not just switch to either of them, I would already have been with one of them.

But nah, neither tick enough boxes for me and the few compromises that I have with L Mount ie, the size and weight of the S1R and S1H and the less than stellar tracking AF are the choice I made.

And as always, it’s ONLY forward tracking AF that is not completely reliable. The rest of the time for video…95% of my work, it’s more than good enough and for stills, isn’t even a factor. Slower than PDAF, but not by much in the real world and actually more accurate.

But back on the Sigma FP, straight out of the box, it’s ergonomically a bit crap, but add the smallest native grip or the Smallrig wooden one (which looks quite ye olde schoole cool), it’s transformed.

Based on the Z9 performance, as a 51% photographer, I’m actually OK now with e shutter only, just not with Sigmas at this time as it’s not quite there yet.

As above, that is the ONLY real dealbreaker for me for stills use and the lack of internal 4K 60p for video, the ONLY real dealbreaker in that regard.

A rangefinderesque L Mount camera would be fanfuckingtastic IMO as 2 of my favourite cameras of all time have been the X100 and X Pro2, with which I have done a ton of work.

Hopefully, one of the two, Panny or Sigma will bring one out but my money would be on Sigma.

I have always had a thing about slightly left-field cameras when the herd are using something else.

Sony? It would be too easy. And utterly boring 😉

On 3/8/2022 at 8:23 PM, BTM_Pix said:

With the SA mount, you are pretty much limited to M42 adapters.

Leitax do a mount product for Leica R where you physically change the mount so you would need one per lens.

The "limitation" of only having an M42 option is all relative, of course, as there are plenty of excellent affordable lenses out there.

Sigma dropped the SA mount for new cameras to concentrate on the L mount so any new Foveon will be in that mount, but you can still buy the lenses which include ART favourites like the 18-35mm, 50-150mm etc

thats rather interesting i didn't know about the option for m42 glass. i'll have to look into it.

Funnily enough and slightly connected Kye is why 'MrSMW' in the first place?

It came from some extreme sarcasm from me years back on another forum where someone who had a bee in their bonnet with me over something (I never found out what, nor much cared), used to always refer to me somewhat sarcastically as 'Mister Simon Mark Whitten' which they suffixed the Mister to after lifting my name off my website.

MrSMW always then used to respond to them in the third person.

Just without the hat. Or purple jacket. The bow tie I have.

1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

Well I will admit you certainly have plenty of damn nice pictures on your Instagram account!

I noticed you had followed!

More pics than followers, that’s for sure, but then I cannot be bothered to play the games or practice the BS that is necessary in order to create a tribe.

Funnily enough however, I get more work from IG than many of my colleagues with 10x or more tribe members so sometimes less is more…

Mostly just been rehashing stuff I have shown at least once before due to the lack of work in what will be nearly 2.5 years when I get going again next month, so looking forward to showcasing some actual new material!

There is actually a Sigma FP-L image amongst the 4000+ 😜

I'm hoping they return to the 1:1:1 RGB layers (instead of Quattro's 4 (blue):1 (red): 1 (green)). Or something more interesting, perhaps.

Also hoping they improve the DNG output. That was a huge step forward for many, myself included, because I absolutely loathe SPP, but the DNG files were still not as good as running the regular raw files through SPP first.

I'm almost certain they'll finally drop the SA mount and go to L mount with it. I'm not even sure if the SA mount is designed to work with a FF sensor. I think it's similar to the EF mount so it would probably work fine, but they'd be stupid to keep it at this point. There's already an SA to L Sigma adapter for legacy users.

11 hours ago, MrSMW said:

Funnily enough and slightly connected Kye is why 'MrSMW' in the first place?

It came from some extreme sarcasm from me years back on another forum where someone who had a bee in their bonnet with me over something (I never found out what, nor much cared), used to always refer to me somewhat sarcastically as 'Mister Simon Mark Whitten' which they suffixed the Mister to after lifting my name off my website.

MrSMW always then used to respond to them in the third person.

Just without the hat. Or purple jacket. The bow tie I have.

Can't help with the hat or jacket.

If you branch out with into wedding car rental, also doubles down as crowd control.

I know a guy...   😉

eldorado.thumb.jpg.fd62478088668044e0c4174359e60f4b.jpg

• Super Members
9 hours ago, M_Williams said:

I'm almost certain they'll finally drop the SA mount and go to L mount with it.

Barring a complete U turn from Sigma, it will definitely be L mount as they announced they will not be developing any new SA mount cameras when they joined the L mount alliance.

https://www.sigmaphoto.com/article/to-our-customers-using-sigma-sa-mount-cameras