Olympus OM-1

kye

• 1 month later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Well I've just edited 2 weddings where I used the OM-1 and have to say, dodged a bullet with that one.

The 4k 50p is not even in the same conversation as Panasonic's S35 crop from full-frame. Not even in the conversation with the 8 bit out of the S1R.

Thin and horrid colour. Trying to match it is a nightmare. Low light, rubbish.

Fortunately, I only used it for long static stuff rather than a couple of hundred clips, but nope, thank fcuk I stuck with L Mount.

You'd have to drag me kicking and screaming into 4/3rds World now 😜

On 11/30/2022 at 6:19 PM, MrSMW said:

Well I've just edited 2 weddings where I used the OM-1 and have to say, dodged a bullet with that one.

The 4k 50p is not even in the same conversation as Panasonic's S35 crop from full-frame. Not even in the conversation with the 8 bit out of the S1R.

Thin and horrid colour. Trying to match it is a nightmare. Low light, rubbish.

Fortunately, I only used it for long static stuff rather than a couple of hundred clips, but nope, thank fcuk I stuck with L Mount.

You'd have to drag me kicking and screaming into 4/3rds World now 😜

You shot in LOG? Is the highlight roll off as nasty as the VERY few sparse samples out there suggests? Most samples of it I have seen looks worse than GH4 in terms of overall image feel, feels very digital and compressed compared to S5 which feels like a proper cinema camera and even poorly lit shots have character to them.

Did you ever get to try the ProRes RAW via Atomos with OM-1?

11 hours ago, SMGJohn said:

Did you ever get to try the ProRes RAW via Atomos with OM-1?

No just in camera, I am a run & gun hybrid video shooter and don’t (can’t) rig anything out.

But same scenes shot back to back with the S5, just no contest.

17 hours ago, MrSMW said:

No just in camera, I am a run & gun hybrid video shooter and don’t (can’t) rig anything out.

But same scenes shot back to back with the S5, just no contest.

LOG 10bit profile with the OM-1?

Such a shame I really really love the form factor of it and such small f2.8 MFT lenses for it.......

Would it be too much greed to ask just for a couple still images from the video if not I totally understand.

• 3 weeks later...

Not the reason I sent it back, but I didn't like the video coming out of it so was happy I had returned it just for that aspect alone.

I'm not sure though whether it was just not great or simply because I have been spoiled with Panny full frame, but suspect it's more a case of the latter.

4/3rds is officially dead to me now 😜

On 12/28/2022 at 7:52 PM, SMGJohn said:

Never seen such bad video from these guys before, well maybe 10 years ago LOL but wow, thats terrible, GH4 produced better looking images than this OM-1, user error?? Or just bad codec and CFA implementation? 

Agreed.

Very strange indeed, because the last time thet I've used an Oly for video was the E-M5 MK II in 1080p. The resolution was not good (compared to the 1080p from Panasonic at the time), but the colors were wonderful. Much better than in this video.

• 1 year later...
On 2/15/2022 at 7:59 AM, Mark Romero 2 said:

Thanks for posting the link. Gonna pour myself a beverage and watch it.

Watched the DP review video on the OM-1 earlier and it seemed like Chris and Jordan were pretty underwhelmed by it. 

4K 60p 10-bit internal is nice, but that is just kind of keeping pace with what has become pretty standard now. Guess the color space is bt.2020 so I guess you need to use a Color Space Transform (or maybe ACES???) until there is a new LUT for it.  At least that explains the weird green color for their previous video of the Sigma 10mm lens.

My methods that seem to work ok, 2 options
There are two main options i have found, to grade OM-log-400 in Divinchi Resolve.
1. Color management or alternately 2. In Manual (better as you can turn off/on LUT)

1.Select in "project settings" "color science" select color manged" select "output color space"= rec709 (standard stuff). Under "look up tables", select OM-log-400 LUT. (this needs to be pre-loaded into Divinchi) Make sure it's the "output table" you have selected (NOT input table). This enables you to grade before the LUT . With this option Divinchi applies the LUT for you at the end.

2. Manual ( all in your own node tree) same as above in outcome but you do the work.
In "project settings" select "color science" Davinchi YRGB".
Select timeline color space rec709 or Davinchi WG/intermediate. (DWG is better for some color tools) Select "output color space" = Rec709 Gamma 2.4. Do not select any LUT's in the look up tables section.
Now add the OM-log-400 LUT in your node tree at the end. Grade before the LUT, for best results.

Note the full color space gamit (range of CIE chromaticity) is preserved. To prove this, (experiment) set "output" in project settings to Divinchi wide. Save, then view CIE chromaticity viewer, you will see an huge color gamit over shooting rec709 boundary markers, reset "output" to rec709 and you can see the CIE chromaticity viewer indicating the gamit inside the 709 color space boundary markers. Therefore we know the full color gamit is available and is only suppressed to rec709 at the end. Please comment if you add more to this