Olympus OM-1

kye

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

Did you buy the OM-1 or the E-M1X?

OM-1

Does the X have 4K 50p 10 bit…not sure, but regardless, I just wanted the most compact package possible.

GH6 was out due to AF and I didn’t see any point in the APSC suspects of R7 and XH2s flavour as it’s all just getting slightly bigger and bulkier and I may as well then go the whole hog and FF.

My self-imposed rule of thumb going forward is it all goes in one single 30 litre backpack; 2 bodies, 3 lenses, 1 drone, 1 tripod, on camera lighting and audio.

No more lens swaps, no more multiple trips backwards and forwards from the car parked 1/4 mile from the church, before and after, on 40 degree C days etc etc etc.

Honestly fatigued now with how destructive regarding creativity and simply having the right tool in my hand at any given time and…there’s rarely a good time to change, but if something actually is broken…and it is, got to fix it.

10 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

It's ok they are already re-shooting with it themselves!

I heard that in some secret location, your OM-1 (voiced by Gerard Butler) is having a face off with 5000 undelivered preordered Nikon Z9’s…

• Administrators

Just keeping the E-M1 X, original plan was to upgrade but have to be careful with the finances at the moment.

I like the E-M1 X pro body design and in the hand feel, a really solid camera that can take some rough and tumble.

OM-1 is great but just didn't quite do enough better to make it worth selling the E-M1 X especially as E-M1 X only goes for about £850 used now, so over £1000 cost difference after selling it.

I also still have GH6 on loan from Panasonic and that does more than both of them 🙂

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

Just keeping the E-M1 X, original plan was to upgrade but have to be careful with the finances at the moment.

I like the E-M1 X pro body design and in the hand feel, a really solid camera that can take some rough and tumble.

OM-1 is great but just didn't quite do enough better to make it worth selling the E-M1 X especially as E-M1 X only goes for about £850 used now, so over £1000 cost difference after selling it.

I also still have GH6 on loan from Panasonic and that does more than both of them 🙂

Yeah I’ve seen EM1X’s going for around $1000 US. Crazy good deal, very interesting alternative to a used GH5

Interesting... Ya i have sold every hybrid camera recently and am rocking just the OM-1 for photos and C70 for video. Pretty happy with the setup... but it hurts my brain sometimes having two completely different setups. I just don't like any of the canon hybrid cameras right now and the lenses are freakin huge. 

Been pretty pleased overall with the image quality coming off of the OM1 taking pictures of my kids and stuff. Autofocus finally works a treat. Color science is good too... it's the low light that kills me though. Even when shooting with decent light and good exposures, you can't really go past ISO 400 or you're going to get noise. 

The new sensor on the OM-1 is nice though. Pleased with the dynamic range and the new EVF alone is worth the upgrade. 

Been having some really weird flickering in the EVF though with certain lighting. Never seen that much flicker before with any other camera. Just depends on the lighting but it's annoying for sure. 

@Dave Maze have you tried batch running the files through something like DXO Pure Raw 2 (or Topaz)?

Turns then into huge but vastly improved (the more noisy shots anyway) DNG’s that you can then import into your fave picture editor.

I only got my OM-1 yesterday so haven’t had the chance but that’s what I will be doing as I do this with Lumix full-frame files already.

I have only really taken it out of the box and attached the 12-40 lens and put it on to charge, but first impressions are I like the size & weight & ergos & build.

On 8/22/2022 at 5:21 AM, Dave Maze said:

Even when shooting with decent light and good exposures, you can't really go past ISO 400 or you're going to get noise. 

Try DXO PhotoLab 5 (free to try). The ISO 1600 shot will be indistinguishable from ISO 200. ISO 6400 gets "acceptable" all of the sudden. I ditched Adobe 2 years ago and couldn't be happier.

I like that it and am getting a second body.

One with the 12-40mm f2.8 lens for purely static tripod duty and the second with 17mm f1.8 for second static tripod duty but also gimbal.

I picked up a used 17mm from MPB and used to have this lens on one of my EM5ii’s (plus had the 45mm and 75mm f1.8’s) and liked them all.

There’s a faster but much chunkier f1.2 but for my needs, overkill and it means with the 1.8 I can keep my compact Crane M3.

I had hoped to trim down from 5 to just 2 bodies but it’s a stretch too far and decided on 3.

So a pair of OM-1’s replacing the S5 and ZV1, so fairly ‘like for like’, improving on image quality with one, but taking a small but acceptable hit with the other, but gaining; 2 identical cameras and footage, unlimited recording without overheating 4k 50p with what I have found so far to be good AF tracking.

All boxes ticked in that department.

Both S1R’s, S1H and their 5 lenses being exchanged for a single Z9 with just 2 lenses. But that is another story…

Pointless Sunday morning update other than to say, yup, still like it.

It’s basically doing exactly what I need it to do with zero fuss or drama.

Haven’t really explored the creative side capability yet, but for more static set it and leave it stuff, in AF, it seems to be doing the business and that is what it’s role for me primarily is, dependability.

• 1 month later...

Its difficult to find recent om-1 video examples on youtube made by professionals. The long-term reviews for video makers are also lacking. 

After reading this forum, my early enthusiasm is fading a bit to. With the upcoming om5 perhaps having the same video specs (based on nothing btw), a price point of $1600 puts it against a r7.

So what is the verdict on video quality and ease of use. I know 4k 24p looks good, but is 4k 60p line skipped or same quality? And 1080p is still the same Olympus style over sharpened garbage?

On the 'Optyczne.pl' website OM-1 'film mode' review, there is a collection of straight-out-of-camera 8 & 10-bit files at the bottom of this page - https://www.optyczne.pl/59.5-Inne_testy-OM_System_OM-1_-_test_trybu_filmowego_Podsumowanie_i_filmy_przykładowe.html

The list:

image.png.b3eca4b3cab5173ce188721d611c52b5.png

Also some resolution test chart videos on this page - https://www.optyczne.pl/59.4-Inne_testy-OM_System_OM-1_-_test_trybu_filmowego_Jakość_obrazu.html

Their opinion (Google translated) of the 1080p modes was:

In this case, the matter can be summed up quite briefly - it is bad. Theoretically, the read times for each recording mode at the end of this chapter would suggest that Full HD is oversampled in most modes. A glance at the above video shows, however, that this is probably not the case, because the detail of the image is poor, and the amount of aliasing (suggesting, for example, line skipping) is considerable. For the record, let's add that the image looks best (although still bad in absolute values) in the mode using the full width of the matrix, slow motion with 1.27x crop fares slightly worse, and the worst shots recorded using a 1.4x digital teleconverter.

It is therefore clear that this aspect of the movie mode has not improved compared to the "Olympus era", and OMDS engineers have something to work on in the near future.

Unfortunately dpreview's video resolution chart tests didn't cover 1080p. What they did find was that 4k 10-bit modes were noticably sharper than the 8-bit modes (except for 4k50p/60p, which appeared to be the same sharpness in 8 and 10-bit) - see https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/om-system-om-1-review#VD

I'm waiting to see what video functionality the OM-5 strips out...