Olympus OM-1

kye

31 minutes ago, hoodlum said:

The person who posted this was a beta tester for the OM-1 and would have access to a reliable source at OM.

https://www.mu-43.com/threads/new-omds-camera-being-announced-in-july-ft3-rumour.115931/page-11#post-1579407

"From a very reliable contact at OMDS, it will be an OM1X…………aka an EM1X replacement."

The details provided by the admin at 43rumors was that the new body would have the same sensor and same battery as the OM-1.  He assumed it would be a lower price OM-1 so similar to E-M5.  The same battery and same sensor would also apply to an E-M1X replacement.  There was also mention of 15fps.  This spec was a bit confusing as the E-M5iii already supports this, but if it refers to full C-AF for the mechanical shutter then that is beyond even the OM-1.   We will get clarity as more details leak.  OM is likely trying to clear out the remaining E-M1X bodies in advance of this release.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Wildlife, wildlife and more wildlife seems to be the market.

Oh and traveling types.

I was very interested for a while due to various factors but in the end was put off due to sensor size (pretty sure I would always have had regrets in that department) and cost. 

Ultimately I was going to get much better AF in a much smaller package but would have been trading image quality and for me that would have been a step in the wrong decision.

I think I’d still pick it over the GH6…

Though the OM-1 has a ‘stupid’ rear screen and the GH6 a superb one…

I am anticipating the om-5 and currently have an e-m5 iii. Does anyone with the om-1 is able to compare 1080p quality to the e-m5iii or e-m1ii?

I am curious if the 1080 24, 60p and 120p have a big quality jump now that 10 bit internal is available. I find the 1080p on the e-m5 iii total garbage even the high bitrate all-i. Looks soft and oversharpend at the same time, like upscaled 720p footage.

Not mine, but there are a few 1080p 8-bit and 10-bit clips here, which might help a bit - https://www.youtube.com/user/LexTNeville/videos

Also on 'Optyczne.pl' there is a 1080p resolution test movie (I don't know if any of it is 10-bit) - https://www.optyczne.pl/59.4-Inne_testy-OM_System_OM-1_-_test_trybu_filmowego_Jakość_obrazu.html - and some downloadable 1080p samples here - https://www.optyczne.pl/59.5-Inne_testy-OM_System_OM-1_-_test_trybu_filmowego_Podsumowanie_i_filmy_przykładowe.html

• Administrators

Talking of 10bit, it is a very low bitrate in 4K/24p, something like 77 mbit.

I did a comparison with the E-M1 X if anyone is interested it will be on blog tonight.

The spoiler is I sold the OM-1.

And the AF was better on E-M1 X as well which is big surprise.

Maybe they are going to get the most of the new hardware with an OM-1 X instead for more pricey sums.

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

Talking of 10bit, it is a very low bitrate in 4K/24p, something like 77 mbit.

I did a comparison with the E-M1 X if anyone is interested it will be on blog tonight.

The spoiler is I sold the OM-1.

And the AF was better on E-M1 X as well which is big surprise.

Maybe they are going to get the most of the new hardware with an OM-1 X instead for more pricey sums.

EM1 X also does Prores RAW via the Ninja V if you want more color info. Excited to read the article!

3 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

The spoiler is I sold the OM-1

I think I’m about to buy one…

I thought it was off the agenda but I have pretty much decided I am going to get a Z9 next year unless anything else comes along that can match it’s spec as a long term keeper along with the Megadap adapter and the Tamron 35-150. There just isn’t anything else that even comes close for my needs without needing multiple bodies and lenses, - it just ticks every bloody box!

I need to pair it with something that can shoot 4K 60p, 10 bit, internal, unlimited recording, great AF, compact and light for smaller gimbal work plus longer static stuff. OM-1 tops the bill for me.

The S5 needs to go in for repair anyway and my previously trusty ZV1 has overheated on 3 jobs now so I have stopped using it and need something for the rest of the season, plus going forward.

There’s little difference in size or weight (2g!!) with lenses, but it’s got good AF and from what I have seen, quite a neutral colour science that will match up nicely with almost anything without too much effort.

There’s a few lenses I am not using either so together with the S5, most of the cost of the OM-1 14-40mm kit combo plus I’ll pick up the 17mm f1.8 for gimbal work.

I’m going to lose a bit of low light capability I know, but having had a play with some gimbal work now, I’d like to develop that some more and after 25-30 jobs with L Mount, I can’t see any future for me with it sadly, for my needs. The image quality is stellar, but it’s requiring me to need too many bodies and lenses and it’s slowing me down and eating into my creativity. I cannot see the next gen S models hitting my needs and especially on the lens front.

Fairly sure I won’t be getting a Z9 this year though due to lack of availability and I’d be lucky to pick one up even for my last job off the season (only 6 weeks away) and then it’s 6 months off, so no point!

• Administrators

I colossally messed up my OM-1 vs E-M1 X comparison which is bad because I put the OM-1 in a cardboard box at the end of it and took it to the post office. So don't think I'll be reshooting that one any time soon.

The OM-1 was somehow set to digital stabiliser mode and so all the images are a bit cropped and a bit soft. Also although I checked several times it was in OM LOG 400 the resulting files don't look anything like LOG, so there's that.

I don't really regret my decision to keep the E-M1 X instead and save some pounds. As where pounds are, shillings follow! Yes another case of overhyped new camera by the usual shills again.

Not to say it isn't a great little camera (although it can't really do ISO 3200/6400)

Not to say I didn't like certain aspects of it like the new EVF which is very good.

But I think Panasonic S1 and Sigma Fp trounce it for overall image quality to be honest.

47 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

I colossally messed up my OM-1 vs E-M1 X comparison which is bad because I put the OM-1 in a cardboard box at the end of it and took it to the post office. So don't think I'll be reshooting that one any time soon.

The OM-1 was somehow set to digital stabiliser mode and so all the images are a bit cropped and a bit soft. Also although I checked several times it was in OM LOG 400 the resulting files don't look anything like LOG, so there's that.

I don't really regret my decision to keep the E-M1 X instead and save some pounds. As where pounds are, shillings follow! Yes another case of overhyped new camera by the usual shills again.

Not to say it isn't a great little camera (although it can't really do ISO 3200/6400)

Not to say I didn't like certain aspects of it like the new EVF which is very good.

But I think Panasonic S1 and Sigma Fp trounce it for overall image quality to be honest.

We all mess up, don’t worry. Still really want to see the test though!  Maybe just put a disclaimer in the opening paragraph?  The EM1X looks like a beast. The stabilization when in Mode 1 appears to be near steadicam-level!  I imagine the 8 bit image grades very well. OM LOG on the EM1X isn’t very flat, similar looking to canon log, which we all know is the 8 bit dream picture profile!  And you still get solid GH5-beating autofocus, plus I imagine the used prices aren’t crazy. Please i would love to see the comparison!  I imagine more content like this would also breathe life to EOSHD!

• Administrators

I do like the E-M1X's image overall, has a bit more mojo, more reliable WB and bit more detail in 4K.

It is only 8bit but at a much higher bitrate than OM1.

Perhaps more interesting comparison would be between E-M1X and the GH6.

Maybe throw in the A7 IV which I have, Sigma Fp-L and EOS R5.

Micro Four Thirds can't compete at high ISOs but the rest is fair game.

My thoughts:

I would say DO IT!  First publish your OM1 comparison tonight if that was your original plan, as I’m dying to see it. And then we would all love to see that comparison!  Seriously I eat up your camera articles, I miss them and that has always been a HUGE appeal to the site. I believe the same held true to many others!

9 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Yes another case of overhyped new camera by the usual shills again.

Yes, I’m taking with a pinch of salt some of the reviews etc, but I think for my needs, essentially as a static locked off B cam or good light, lightweight gimbal cam, plus personal travel/mountain hike camera, it should tick the boxes.

I’m going to try it anyway and if it doesn’t work out, there’s always MBP 😜

14 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

I do like the E-M1X's image overall, has a bit more mojo, more reliable WB and bit more detail in 4K.

It is only 8bit but at a much higher bitrate than OM1.

Perhaps more interesting comparison would be between E-M1X and the GH6.

Maybe throw in the A7 IV which I have, Sigma Fp-L and EOS R5.

Micro Four Thirds can't compete at high ISOs but the rest is fair game.

That would be a phenomenal test.

I don't think that we've really seen the potential of any of the cameras you listed except maybe for the R5 which has gotten a lot of coverage from competent people.  From what I have been able to gather, which is cobbled together from random snippets of information, the FP might be the one with the most potential, but it would be great to see a real stress test of all of them, plus some well-lit skin-tones.

Button pushed, arrives Friday.

I have 7 weddings left this season so going to give it a whirl for static full length ceremonies & speeches and then still on a tripod for all entrances & exits ie, static tracking stuff and then gimbal for those few occasions where I now use one.

It’s replacing the ZV1 and S5 and the 20-60mm kit lens, so I am hoping to get the tracking of the little Sony, but with better quality (and 4K 50p instead of 4k 25p) in a compact package the same size & weight as the Lumix.

The ZV1 has overheated 3x in a row with the long stuff and the S5 rear screen is now hanging off, so the timing is just about perfect to give this little beast a go.

I can’t see it doing anything but shining in it’s role actually. The only thing I don’t like about it (so far) is the flip out side screen and I wish it had the GH6 style, but can’t have everything I suppose…