Olympus OM-1

kye

• Administrators
On 4/28/2022 at 10:26 AM, Simon Young said:

Excited to see that @Andrew Reid picked up an OM-1. Is there still a vast difference with regards to detail between the 4K UHD and the C4K modes? All the samples I've seen seem a bit mushy. Great colors and great IBIS, but concerned about resolution and digital sharpness.

I did indeed manage to pick one up from Camarthan Cameras in Wales! Only retailer in entire UK to have a couple of units. Glad I did though as the camera is a miracle in itself. Punches well above expectations.

I am only scratching the surface compared to you Simon, but will get to know it better in coming days. Brought it to Berlin with me. Not even shot any C4K with it yet but in UHD I did play with it a bit and love that you can punch in 1.4x in the middle of a shot with little to no loss in detail. No need to stop recording, you can just punch in and out on the fly.

The IBIS was out of this world brilliant. 1 second handheld photo PIN SHARP

The menus and ergonomics are in top 1% of all cameras. Love the way it feels to use and that they didn't go crazy abandoning the small size advantage with fans and stuff.

I have GH6 with me as well so will be interesting to compare the two. They are very different. GH6 has the edge for high frame rates and overall video specs. OM-1 has a significant advantage in terms of size, weight, ergonomics, stills features and a few unique abilities in video mode as well. The EVF on the OM-1 is superior to the GH6. Out of this world big and immersive, especially impressive for such a small body.

Can confirm the lovely Olympus colours are still present and correct!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
19 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

I am only scratching the surface compared to you Simon, but will get to know it better in coming days. Brought it to Berlin with me. Not even shot any C4K with it yet but in UHD I did play with it a bit and love that you can punch in 1.4x in the middle of a shot with little to no loss in detail. No need to stop recording, you can just punch in and out on the fly.

Very interesting!  While things like this feature don't mean much to the full-manual folks, I think that implementation of little features like this can really influence the experience and even the overall capability of a camera, especially when shooting fast in uncontrolled conditions.

I use the 2x digital zoom on the GH5 all the time, which when in the 1080p mode, still oversampled from ~2.5K sensor area to the 1080p, giving a high-quality image and extending the focal range significantly.

Considering the size of these cameras, and the hand-held target market, these are the things that really matter.

19 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

I have GH6 with me as well so will be interesting to compare the two. They are very different. GH6 has the edge for high frame rates and overall video specs. OM-1 has a significant advantage in terms of size, weight, ergonomics, stills features and a few unique abilities in video mode as well. The EVF on the OM-1 is superior to the GH6. Out of this world big and immersive, especially impressive for such a small body.

I'll be looking forward to this comparison!  I'd imagine I won't be the only one - everyone who hasn't been tempted to the dark side by FF will be very keen to see how they compare.

Looking forward to hearing more as it's still on 'My List'.

My only real 'questions' are in regard to ultimate image quality and whether I could live with that side hinge screen...

The rest of it appeals greatly.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, jgharding said:

@Andrew Reid How is the video AF on this bad boy? Is it up to Sony standards for following a face etc?

So far I get sense it is working at the Sony level, and much better than GH6.

I've not gone deep into it, but AF features are many many pages in the menus.

Such a mistake for Panasonic not to have this but OM-System does.

Can't seem to find an ALL-I codec mode though anywhere.

Looks like only 1080p has All-I

High Bit rate recording and multi-frame support

An image size of H.264, H.265 and Multi Frame Rate are supported.
Video clips that go over 30 minutes*1 can now be recorded as a single file.

Image sizeVideo codecInterframe
compressionFrame rateBit rate*2

4KH.264Long GOP23.98 / 25 / 29.97 / 50 / 59.94202Mbps (59.94p)

C4KH.264Long GOP23.98 / 24 / 25 / 29.97 / 50 / 59.94202Mbps (59.94p)

FHDH.264Long GOP23.98 / 25 / 29.97 / 50 / 59.9452Mbps (59.94p)

FHDH.264All-Intra23.98 / 25 / 29.97202Mbps (29.97p)

4KH.265Long GOP23.98 / 25 / 29.97 / 50 / 59.94152Mbps (59.94p)

C4KH.265Long GOP23.98 / 24 / 25 / 29.97 / 50 / 59.94152Mbps (59.94p)

FHDH.265Long GOP23.98 / 25 / 29.97 / 50 / 59.9442Mbps (59.94p)

FHDH.265All-Intra23.98 / 25 / 29.97 / 50 / 59.94162Mbps (59.94p)

• Administrators

After a little more testing it is apparent that the phase-detect AF is flat out amazing for video on the OM-1. Really nothing like the GH6.

Really natural movement to handheld shots with the IBIS as well. Especially as you can tune it. High setting for a locked down shot and -1 when you want more fluid movement.

Just trying to figure out of the battery is identical to the one in my Sony A7 IV. Feels like there is a LOT of Sony about the OM-1. Feels like a buy-out by proxy!

7 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Feels like there is a LOT of Sony about the OM-1. Feels like a buy-out by proxy!

43rumors ran a "Interesting speculation: Is the new OM-1 nearly entirely made from Sony parts?" story recently, based on speculation from a Russian blogger, so you're not the only one to have noticed some similarities 🙂

Given that OMDS isn't really a head-on competitor to Sony, it wouldn't surprise me too much to find there's more Sony content in the OM-1 than OMDS would want to own up to (and personally it's far more important to me what the OM-1 does rather what's inside it that matters).

• Administrators

43rumors run any old bullshit.

Turns out battery is entirely different!

IMG_1968.jpg

IMG_1969.jpg

I am sure the stacked sensor is Sony manufactured and the EVF probably a Sony panel.

But beyond that seems OM Digital has custom LSI & firmware, plus many of their own parts.

Camera is assembled in Vietnam.

I'm waiting on the OM-1 vs GH6 smack down.

For ultimate video spec, I am sure the GH6 has the OM-1 licked and it certainly (for me) has the better rear LCD type.

AF we know will be OM-1.

IBIS probably quite close?

It's the picture side of things I am most interested in...

A little thing that marveled me in the Fuji X-S10, and I was amazed that only was implemented in m4/3 in the GH6 (I always used mid-tier m4/3 bodies): the ability to punch-in focus during recording (enlarge the image to focus but the recording was not enlarged).

Since Andrew already mentioned that you could enlarge the image with little to no loss detail durign recording (a neat trick that I had in my E-M10 III), maybe there is a setting to punch-in focus?

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, ac6000cw said:

The full OM-1 (written) review is on dpreview now - https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/om-system-om-1-review

Interesting that UHD 8-bit video looks about the same as on E-M1 iii, but 10-bit HLG/OMlog400 is noticeably more detailed.

...also GH6 images are now available in the 'Video Stills Comparison' tool - this is OM-1 UHD 10-bit versus GH6 UHD and OM-1 UHD 8-bit versus GH6 UHD (it doesn't say if the GH6 images are 8 or 10-bit video)

• 2 months later...
10 hours ago, hoodlum said:

It looks like the new OM body coming this fall will be a replacement for the E-M1X. I would expect to see some additional updates to video that could also come down to the OM-1. 

Is the E-M1X their flagship camera?  For some reason no-one seems to understand their range and how the model numbers work.

19 minutes ago, kye said:

Is the E-M1X their flagship camera?  For some reason no-one seems to understand their range and how the model numbers work.

Yes, it would be similar to the top end bodies from Canon and Nikon that have a built-in grip.  I presume it will be called OM something since they started with the OM series now. 

1 hour ago, hoodlum said:

Yes, it would be similar to the top end bodies from Canon and Nikon that have a built-in grip.  I presume it will be called OM something since they started with the OM series now. 

Interesting.

Olympus has the reputation for having superior stabilisation and of course have PDAF, but have been let down by lack of bitrates and other codec options (such as the open gate functions of the GH line) but maybe they'll rectify that on this new body?

If they took some inspiration from the GH6 and implemented Prores then it could be a serious camera for those in the MFT ecosystem.

21 hours ago, hoodlum said:

It looks like the new OM body coming this fall will be a replacement for the E-M1X. I would expect to see some additional updates to video that could also come down to the OM-1. 

Out of interest, where did you read that?

The rumor stuff I've seen is talking about an OM-5 in September/October, which appears to be positioned in the E-M5 iii market segment i.e. smaller, lighter and down-spec'd from the OM-1 but probably using the same sensor.

The large body E-M1X always seemed to be an aberration to me, the opposite of the traditional 'small camera body' Olympus ethos, probably driven partly by engineering necessity to get enough cooling for the dual processing chips they needed to improve autofocus performance. It's interesting (from a user demand/popularity point of view) that the used prices in the UK of E-M1X are now lower than for the E-M1 iii, despite it being a more expensive and capable camera originally.

2 hours ago, ac6000cw said:

Out of interest, where did you read that?

The rumor stuff I've seen is talking about an OM-5 in September/October, which appears to be positioned in the E-M5 iii market segment i.e. smaller, lighter and down-spec'd from the OM-1 but probably using the same sensor.

The large body E-M1X always seemed to be an aberration to me, the opposite of the traditional 'small camera body' Olympus ethos, probably driven partly by engineering necessity to get enough cooling for the dual processing chips they needed to improve autofocus performance. It's interesting (from a user demand/popularity point of view) that the used prices in the UK of E-M1X are now lower than for the E-M1 iii, despite it being a more expensive and capable camera originally.

The person who posted this was a beta tester for the OM-1 and would have access to a reliable source at OM.

page-11#post-1579407