Olympus OM-1

kye

35 minutes ago, John Matthews said:

Sounds like a wise business choice. As a Drewnetwork VP, the policy has always been to never pre-order a camera. However, I think Drew (the president) did it with the first generation BMPC and the Sony A7S iii.

I think an OM-1 based system is probably the still the best option for me right now, but for that operative word, ‘probably’.

Sticking with L Mount means sticking with a known quantity and putting +1500 euros back into my account.

Switching just adds a little uncertainty into the bigger picture plus costs me minus 3500 euros.

Sometimes it’s simply a case of playing safe and that was what I set out to do this year and so I’m sticking to/going back to that plan. For my own sanity more than anything!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 hours ago, MrSMW said:

Well I have done a total back flip and cancelled my pre-orders.

Why?

I blame Putin. He's responsible for everything else including the GH6 not having PDAF so why not?!

But seriously, I looked again at all my options and came to the conclusion that what I needed most in 2022, was stability.

I'm less than 6 weeks out from a stupidly busy season and it's not the time to make sweeping changes.

So I have somewhat reluctantly cancelled any/all plans to go M4/3 for my video needs.

The S1H has already gone. Love(d) that camera, but it's just overkill (and overweight mainly) for my needs.

Kept my S5 just in case the OM-1's arrived too late or any other such problem and the good news for me financially is actually I will come out of this next/current move financially ahead as I'm selling 3x lenses + the S1H and ordering a second S5 body.

I'm putting my new gimbal on ice for the season and will look at that again some other time after this next season is over.

It's really only the tracking AF I have any issue with in regard to the whole system and if the GH6 is anything to go by, I think there's a good chance that a further tweak for the S line in regard to AF may be coming.

And if any S2/H/R etc is in development and has CAF, they will halt all further work until a PDAF solution has been sourced. Or they go out of business.

Also, this gives me time to see how the OM-1 shapes up in reality for others over this coming year. You/they can be the beta testers! 😬

I think that's a smart decision.

Financially, sure, but also for the final results.  Better cameras are great. but only if you know them and know how they shoot and how to expose to get the best files, and any gotchas around annoying features or battery issues or whatever that can screw things up and lose footage over.

The best camera in the world, used improperly, is worse than the camera you know and trust.

3 hours ago, John Matthews said:

I guess it's official in Europe. OMDS is no longer accepting pre-orders for the OM-1 due to high demand. It's funny because some people thought it wasn't worth the price tag, but the evidence shows otherwise.

I must admit, I'm not that surprised that a bunch of folks on a forum don't understand the market as much as they think they do!

Still, it bodes well for both OM and also the MFT system in general, which by extension is good for all consumers as it encourages competition.  As much as FF enthusiasts are quick to point out that FF is now a serious competitor to MFT in specs, I wonder if it wasn't for the MFT manufacturers pushing things forward if FF would be nearly as advanced now as it is.

18 hours ago, kye said:

I must admit, I'm not that surprised that a bunch of folks on a forum don't understand the market as much as they think they do!

Still, it bodes well for both OM and also the MFT system in general, which by extension is good for all consumers as it encourages competition.  As much as FF enthusiasts are quick to point out that FF is now a serious competitor to MFT in specs, I wonder if it wasn't for the MFT manufacturers pushing things forward if FF would be nearly as advanced now as it is.

The amount of BS from people on the forum talking out of their ars is astounding, where cynical thought seems to be the norm.

The first mirrorless cameras were M43 and DSLR owner thought they were a joke. Fast-forward to today, mirrorless FF owners now think M43 mirrorless is a joke and DSLR's are dead. Crazy how that happened.

3 hours ago, John Matthews said:

The amount of BS from people on the forum talking out of their ars is astounding, where cynical thought seems to be the norm.

The first mirrorless cameras were M43 and DSLR owner thought they were a joke. Fast-forward to today, mirrorless FF owners now think M43 mirrorless is a joke and DSLR's are dead. Crazy how that happened.

The older I get the more I realise that people seem to operate without much consideration (or often knowledge) of history and the broader context.

Changing your mind on a subject you've already expressed a position on also requires admitting you were wrong, which seems to be an unacceptable cost in many cases too.  

The human condition is a strange thing!

Well as someone that has worked for around 63 years in my lifetime back in the day of the many different jobs I have worked at very few people other than a few at the top knew much about anything. And since the majority didn't know much, it was planned that way, how many at the top knew much either lol.

So things now are lot different, you have the opportunity to basically learn anything. So is that a blessing or a curse? I think it is more of a curse. Now everyone doubts everything and everyone, and most still don't know shit lol.

Adaptors could be a tight fit with the OM1

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/65980877

“Heads up for anyone who uses metabones or viltrox EF to M43 adapters.  Some of them do not fit on the OM-1 because they did not leave enough room.  The adapter back hits the hump.  I tried the metabones EF-M43 T adapter and viltrox speedbooster.  I imagine other adapters could have the same issue,”

On 3/5/2022 at 12:38 AM, hoodlum said:

Adaptors could be a tight fit with the OM1

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/65980877

“Heads up for anyone who uses metabones or viltrox EF to M43 adapters.  Some of them do not fit on the OM-1 because they did not leave enough room.  The adapter back hits the hump.  I tried the metabones EF-M43 T adapter and viltrox speedbooster.  I imagine other adapters could have the same issue,”

Good point. I had this problem with my E-M10 MK III, I guess with MItakon's Lens Turbo II.

In my case, probably grinding a little bit the touching part in the adapter could solve, but I bought Viltrox adapters and they worked well.

• 4 weeks later...

Very comprehensive review and thanks for the link.

The OM-1 at this time still remains the benchmark camera (inc. lens options) for me, ie, it ticks more boxes than anything else out there. That exists today.

1 disappointment that I hope they fix with firmware and 1 question only I could answer with a test.

The auto-ISO. I use it all the time for stills and the implementation sounds like it isn’t great. It never ceases to amaze me how any company can get so much wrong but the drop the ball on something so simple.

How the (raw) image quality stacks up against full frame. I could go back easily enough to 24mp FF from 47mp that I currently shoot, but 20mp…

I have had several 4/3rd cameras and the best of these was the 16mp EM5 mk II which was OK for stills but I think I’d be shocked if I tried putting something like that up against my S1R today.

The thing is, I don’t wish to and won’t change my current system for the sake of change.

I would…and at some point will, only when a system ticks as many boxes as my current system, as in on a tech spec level, we are already there, so for me, all that remains is:

Size, weight, ergos. Slightly smaller and slightly lighter S1H would be the ideal, so why not the new GH6?

Well it’s a contender. More video spec than I need, but it’s also on the list.

10 hours ago, MrSMW said:

Very comprehensive review and thanks for the link.........

1 disappointment that I hope they fix with firmware and 1 question only I could answer with a test.

The auto-ISO. I use it all the time for stills and the implementation sounds like it isn’t great. It never ceases to amaze me how any company can get so much wrong but the drop the ball on something so simple.

Thank you!

And YES. I tried to make a big point of that in my review, so hopefully they listen! It sucks so much, it's such a waste of the amazing IBIS.

I had the chance to try out the om-1 yesterday with a omd rep in store. Also was able to try out all the pro lenses including the new 20mm and 45-150 f4. Super fun 🙂 I used it over an hour.   

I was really impressed with the camera. Great build and ergonomics. Loved the new evf and interface. And finally you can override the autofocus during recording with a press of a button and get peaking. Iso 6400 was grainy in video but colors hold up well. Also the grain is a nice pattern not color noise. To me it looks like a refined camera for m43 video and photography that’s is a pleasure to use.

19 hours ago, hoodlum said:

Optyczne posted a detailed video review of the OM-1. 

https://www.optyczne.pl/59.1-Inne_testy-OM_System_OM-1_-_test_trybu_filmowego_Wstęp.html

The video resolution test chart results don't look very impressive for a 2022, $2000 camera - I was hoping the OM-1 would be at least as good as a GH5 or G9 in that respect. As the review says "OMDS engineers have something to work on in the near future"

3 hours ago, ac6000cw said:

The video resolution test chart results don't look very impressive for a 2022, $2000 camera - I was hoping the OM-1 would be at least as good as a GH5 or G9 in that respect. As the review says "OMDS engineers have something to work on in the near future"

It's a real shame they didn't test the DCI 4K option. In both the EM1iii and the EM1ii this is clearly the best option, with significantly more detail than the UHD readout.

3 hours ago, Simon Young said:

It's a real shame they didn't test the DCI 4K option. In both the EM1iii and the EM1ii this is clearly the best option, with significantly more detail than the UHD readout.

Yup. At to me, it is a shame that in the E-M1 MK II, Olympus didn't include DCI 4K at 23.98fps, only at 24fps (maybe at 30fps too, can't remember).

As for the OM-1, why don't they allow 10-bit video in the other picture profiles besides OM LOG and HLG??? 

And as far as I understand it, All-I is only available in FHD??? It seems that all UHD and DCI 4K  is only Long GOP 😞

14 hours ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

Yup. At to me, it is a shame that in the E-M1 MK II, Olympus didn't include DCI 4K at 23.98fps, only at 24fps (maybe at 30fps too, can't remember).

It's only 24p on E-M1 ii/iii. At least on the OM-1 I think DCI, UHD & FHD are all available at 23.98/24/25/30/50/60p which is a major improvement.

14 hours ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

As for the OM-1, why don't they allow 10-bit video in the other picture profiles besides OM LOG and HLG??? 

I agree...Oly/OMDS has a good looking Natural profile, so why not make it even more useful by having a 10-bit version available?

• 4 weeks later...