Olympus OM-1

kye

5 hours ago, kye said:

A BIT??????

I didn't mind it too much as in it wasn't a deal-breaker but instead, a 'known compromise'.

In some ways, it was quite good, ie, ergos and stability etc...but actually, it was a bit of a beast to handhold for very long and so I had already decided to go back to using it on a monopod most of the time.

Anyway, no longer an issue as the courier collects tomorrow and then it's just a case of wait and see when the replacements turn up.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

It's still a pulsing mess from the leaked video.

If we are both thinking of the same video (the one from Japan) then the saddest part was that the autofocus tests were shot at 60fps / 1/100th shutter speed, and in a high-contrast profile, which normally is the BEST case situation for Panasonic Autofocus.

Which means that autofocus when shooting V-LOG at 24 / 25 / 30fps is going to be... not good...

1 hour ago, MrSMW said:

Ha, just read Andrew's tweet:

"OM-1 is a nice camera but will sell exactly 0 units at £2000"

Well one muppet has pre-ordered a pair so we're 2 up on your 0 already 😉

I just replied to Andrew's tweet: "I'll go the opposite direction and it will be sold out by the shipping date."

Here's what @Mattias Burling just said: "I visited my local camera shop. The owner was surprised at the high interest in the OM1 among his regulars, that are mostly still using pro DSLRs. The low price was what made them consider it. I haven’t read a single article about it so I don’t know. It’s just what he told me."

I want this camera too. Why, oh why? The elegant appearance of the camera body and the AF. Never was interested in AF. But imagining that a tasty 17mm 1.8 could work flawlessy in AF gives me an appetite for this camera. Interested to see if HD 240fps is oversharpened or not, if low light video is without mushy noise reduction, if codec is at least as good as on the Gh5 is in good light. Super16 crop, open gate mode would be great. Battery life seems promising. Then this is a want to buy camera.

Oh, mini Hdmi, yikes.

2 hours ago, John Matthews said:

I just replied to Andrew's tweet: "I'll go the opposite direction and it will be sold out by the shipping date."

Here's what @Mattias Burling just said: "I visited my local camera shop. The owner was surprised at the high interest in the OM1 among his regulars, that are mostly still using pro DSLRs. The low price was what made them consider it. I haven’t read a single article about it so I don’t know. It’s just what he told me."

The Olympus/OM Systems UK rep myself and several other potential customers were talking to yesterday said Oly/OM had already sold all of the first (March) shipment into the UK of OM-1 bodies (and most of the body+lens kits).

I suspect a lot of those are sales to existing Oly owners upgrading (as you would expect) but hopefully this bodes well for future sales.

38 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

And he was I thinking 2x crop sensor cameras are dead at £2K!!

I may have to order an OM-1 as well.

You may need to wait for the next shipment. An OM UK rep mentioned yesterday that all of the OM1 bodies allocated to the UK were sold-out already and most of the body+lens kits as well.

6 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

HD 240fps is oversharpened

It is.

3 hours ago, ac6000cw said:

The Olympus/OM Systems UK rep myself and several other potential customers were talking to yesterday said Oly/OM had already sold all of the first (March) shipment into the UK of OM-1 bodies (and most of the body+lens kits).

I suspect a lot of those are sales to existing Oly owners upgrading (as you would expect) but hopefully this bodes well for future sales.

I'm honestly wondering if the name, OM-1 and also it being said as being the last camera with the Olympus badge on the front is helping to sell it. Kinda sad knowing this, but also makes me want to have it as a MFT option for shits and giggles.

9 hours ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

Sooo... I am a bit curious...

Why go with the OM-1 over the Sony a7 IV???

For me, it’s the entire package including lenses.

I have a list of requirements.

Against that, I matched every available option.

The OM-1 (including lens choices) ticked more boxes than anything else on the market now or coming any time soon.

The only box it didn’t tick was it has a flip out side screen rather than a tilt screen.

And it’s not a Sony…

7 hours ago, ac6000cw said:

OM had already sold all of the first (March) shipment into the UK of OM-1 bodies (and most of the body+lens kits).

It's difficult to get this kind of info from France, but as things stand, the body alone is available for pre-order with deliveries starting from the 7th March.

The kits are still not available and all you can do is register a wish to be informed when they become so.

I went with just the bodies despite the offer on the kit zoom.

If the option comes up any time soon, I may switch my order to have one body with the kit zoom because I could see a use case outside of work.

It's cutting it fine with work though as my first gig of the year is 8th April...

Worst case scenario, I still have my ZV1 for ceremony & speeches and keeping it as my back up option anyway, plus I'd just have to buy a used EM1-iii or G9 to tide me over for a few weeks if there's any delay.

This has been a concern in even putting the order in at this time, but in the end, the last 2 years and the potential of this coming one, made the decision for me which was minimise the compromise, maximise the opportunity.

10 hours ago, John Matthews said:

I keep thinking: "What can I sell to get it?" Having just received a new E-M5 iii, I cannot really justify it, but believe me, I want it! ...just don't need it (and I'm not a pro). I'll be playing the used game when it's available in 1 or 2 years.

Exactly the same for me. I also have and love the E-m5 iii. There are some quirks (limited options to change settings during recording) and some wishes (better preamps, 10 bit internal, usable 6400 iso and better dynamic range, pd powering) that this camera addresses.

I will wait for the first reviews and OM promotion and then probably buy it. 

1 hour ago, John Matthews said:

On a side note, Olympus EU is already not accepting any more preorders of the OM-1 with the 12-40 f/2.8 ii bundles... at least for France.

Were they accepting any in the first place?!

I checked their website as soon as the camera was officially announced and pre-order for body only was available, but the kit simply read, "add your name to our contact list and we'll get back to you some time".