Olympus OM-1

kye

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Thanks for posting the link. Gonna pour myself a beverage and watch it.

Watched the DP review video on the OM-1 earlier and it seemed like Chris and Jordan were pretty underwhelmed by it. 

4K 60p 10-bit internal is nice, but that is just kind of keeping pace with what has become pretty standard now. Guess the color space is bt.2020 so I guess you need to use a Color Space Transform (or maybe ACES???) until there is a new LUT for it.  At least that explains the weird green color for their previous video of the Sigma 10mm lens.

I've viewed a couple of these initial 'early looks' now out of curiosity and it's what I expected it to be and that is not 'wow'.

I know that wasn't a label OM Systems tagged themselves, but rather one that was taken up by media in general?

Looks solid enough for me as an upgrade from the previous EM1 mkiii, but otherwise nothing really that challenges (never mind surpasses) a lot of the full frame options.

How many are honestly going to choose something like this over say a Sony A7iv? 

Unless already invested in M4/3, somewhere round about nobody I suspect is the answer.

It does actually cover all my needs for video work, but not above (and in some respects, below) what I am using now, so not something I'd move to.

Let's see if the GH6 can do better...

I'm glad to see it exist though, especially with the OLYMPUS logo front and centre.

1 hour ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

Watched the DP review video on the OM-1 earlier and it seemed like Chris and Jordan were pretty underwhelmed by it. 

4K 60p 10-bit internal is nice, but that is just kind of keeping pace with what has become pretty standard now. 

That's my reaction too - a good, solid, upgrade over the EM1 mk 3 but it's up against strong competition from the (somewhat cheaper) GH5ii, G9 & XT4, let alone all the full-frame stuff from Sony, Canon & Nikon (e.g. a Z6ii is the same price).

It's got a nice niche as rugged, smallish, lightweight camera with solid stills and video specs (which holds some interest for me personally), but it's going to be a very hard sell against Sony, Canon & Nikon full-frame cameras at similar price points.

3 hours ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

Thanks for posting the link. Gonna pour myself a beverage and watch it.

4K 60p 10-bit internal is nice, but that is just kind of keeping pace with what has become pretty standard now. Guess the color space is bt.2020 so I guess you need to use a Color Space Transform (or maybe ACES???) until there is a new LUT for it.  At least that explains the weird green color for their previous video of the Sigma 10mm lens.

The GH5 has "HLG" but it turns out that HLG isn't a standard, it's more like a concept.  Rec2020 and rec2100 are standards, but unfortunately the GH5 HLG isn't either of them (I tested it myself).

I use rec2100 in Resolve and it does a pretty good job, but having HLG isn't worth nearly as much as it actually being a standard.

This camera far exceeds my video and photographic needs right now and looks like a great addition to M43. I'm curious to see what real-world footage looks like. Is it really that much better than what we currently have (which I think is great)? I'm just happy to have another great option for all the small M43 lenses out there. I'll probably get this camera, but wait for a heavy promo.

Finally, a camera manufacture willing to slap a IP rating on their "weather sealed" camera and stand behind it!

IP53 is a pretty good guarantee of protection. The rating says it is essential highly resistent to dust ingress (but not dust tight; no ingress) and can handle spraying water—think lightly blowing rain from all angles or a low pressure garden sprinkler.

Definitely not a "wow" camera but decently solid. Like @John Matthews said I will probably pick up this camera and perhaps the 12-100 f/4 and a f1.2 prime for a "ultralight" camera kit now that it has 10-bit internal up to 4K60p.

I'm more interested in the fast and light stills performance. The HiRes handheld without a tripod, handheld or monopod astro abilities, etc...

GH6 still no PDAF...more DfD "fast" AI technology. I guess I will hold my beer awhile longer to see how that turns out.

26 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

Finally, a camera manufacture willing to slap a IP rating on their "weather sealed" camera and stand behind it!

IP53 is a pretty good guarantee of protection. The rating says it is essential highly resistent to dust ingress (but not dust tight; no ingress) and can handle spraying water—think lightly blowing rain from all angles or a low pressure garden sprinkler.

This cannot be understated in terms of build quality. Another way to read it from the other manufacturers is: "Sure, we have a weather-sealed camera, just don't use it as a weather-sealed camera." I still remember the imaging resource tests of the "weather-sealed" options from Canon, Nikon, Sony, and Olympus. Olympus E-M1 ii was great and it still didn't even have the rating then. The Sony A7r iii did the worst (must have been the camera's consumer electronics heritage). Now, all the E-M1 iii, E-M1x, E-M5 iii, and OM-1 cameras have IPX or IP53 ratings.

2 minutes ago, John Matthews said:

This cannot be understated in terms of build quality. Another way to read it from the other manufacturers is: "Sure, we have a weather-sealed camera, just don't use it as a weather-sealed camera." I still remember the imaging resource tests of the "weather-sealed" options from Canon, Nikon, Sony, and Olympus. Olympus E-M1 ii was great and it still didn't even have the rating then. The Sony A7r iii did the worst (must have been the camera's consumer electronics heritage). Now, all the E-M1 iii, E-M1x, E-M5 iii, and OM-1 cameras have IPX or IP53 ratings.

I believe they rated the EM1X as IPX1 which is still essentially a really low rating and still gives them an out on the warranty of use.

IP53 on the other hand is a guarantee this thing could handle blowing rain from multiple angles and it won't get damaged and they stand behind that claim and not some vague "weather sealed" (unless you something more than a sprinkle of rain gets on it) kinda of BS.

15 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

I believe they rated the EM1X as IPX1 which is still essentially a really low rating and still gives them an out on the warranty of use.

IP53 on the other hand is a guarantee this thing could handle blowing rain from multiple angles and it won't get damaged and they stand behind that claim and not some vague "weather sealed" (unless you something more than a sprinkle of rain gets on it) kinda of BS.

I've never heard of anyone having any problems with weather sealing on Olympus cameras (although I'm sure it exists). Mine have taken heavy showers and direct snowballs without any problems (and that's my E-M1 ii which doesn't have ANY rating whatsoever). Olympus and Pentax have always been excellent in this regard.

3 hours ago, slonick81 said:

It has PDAF the half of forum here was raving about. And this sensor is most likely going to GH6, too. Real life performance is still a thing to check. I was hoping Jordan would give a word or two about it but no clues yet.

He is likely tied up testing the GH6 that was provided to him.  😀

The problem is that the WOW moniker that OM Systems kept saying will now hurt them.

Looks like an amazing camera for stills, not so much for video. OM Digital gave all the hints in interviews that their market now is wildlife / telephoto / adventure stills - the video capabilities were upped to the current state, which could be enough for a lot of hybrid shooters.

There were some surprises in this camera, some very well thought ones, and some new tech too.

The one thing that I was sure that OM will not touch was the menu - and it was completely redesigned. Not perfect (not being touch capable is a huge missing), but the layout is much better now, and have a thing that EVERY manufacturer misses - when a menu item is grayed out, pressing OK will list which other settings are disabling this item.

The sensor is a very new one, which looks like have much better low light performance (the Phoblographer guys said that the ṕrevious Olympus cameras were only ISO 1600 usable for A3 prints, and now got a very good one in ISO 6400). The sensor is a 80mp quad bayer, but with a single lens covering the 4 pixels, and each one of the pixels is used for AF (hence the "quad-pixel AF" moniker. Very interesting stuff, used now in smartphones.

The camera looks much better than I expected, ate least for stills, but at US$ 2200 and the now "common sense" that everything less than full frame is garbage, could not be enough.

18 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

I think it is suicide at the price point they have. Even 2K sounds a bit high.

I agree, it is a bit pricey. There is savings in the lenses that should be taken into account.

I think a OM-1 + 12-100 f/4 + 7-14mm f/2.8 would make a sweet, light kit for people adventuring or want a light setup.