CanonRumors owner decides to quit

hoodlum

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

Facebook's vision with the tech that started with Oculus is to virtualise our everyday lives so we do nothing but sit at home with a bucket on our head watching ads.

This. I love VR for entertainment, I have high hopes for it as a productivity tool, and it's a huge benefit in many training applications. But the Metaverse concept--particularly with Facebook behind it--is a terrible idea.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 2/7/2022 at 5:36 PM, HurtinMinorKey said:

What did VR ever do to you? It's like the last bastion of where tech still makes a huge difference in the end product. 

That being said, I agree with your sentiments about the abhorrence of the almost complete corporatization of human interaction. What a time to be alive. 

VR goggles are one of the most retarded inventions ever.

172806.jpg

My two cents about all this.

Rumour sites: like them, because sometimes it could help you with purchase decisions. But all of them, without exception, should be name "fansites". Never anything could be said there except praise to the brand in question, even if you like the brand, even if you want to give constructive feedback to make the brand you like even better.

Brand worship is everywhere - even here.My take is that people invest a lot in a brand / mount and just want a confirmation bias and want to justify their purchase - it is a thing not exclusive to the photo industry, smartphone industry is the same. These people forget some basic things:

1) The brand X could be REALLY better for you, even if everyone say the contrary. Don't get offended by bad things said to "your" brand - no brand is perfect. Filter it, see if it its a legitamte flaw, see if it is really a flaw FOR YOU, and if it is a thing, if you can circunvent it. A problem is only a problem if it affects you.

Case in point: AF for video. For some people, it is a very important issue for some people - gimbal people, action people, some wedding cases (@MrSMW gave a very good example of it). It is non issue for other people - all of the movie industry which have amazing focus pullers, people in controlled enviroments, interview shots (amaze me people testing af in static shots videos - why?). It is a issue for you or not? In each case, don't dismiss the other camp, just look if it a issue FOR YOU.

2) ALL BRANDS have good and bad points - and all these point follows the 1 rule, all bad points and good / bad FOR YOU. I was a m43 user. Still love the portability of the lenses, still have a soft point for the format - but it have bad / good points. Moved to Fuji, liking it too. FOR ME, it is working better than m43 - but I will never say that m43 is crap IN ALL INSTANCES. And yes, even liking Fuji, there were some point that m43 is better (could changing ISO with a huge overlay screen without histogram to choose the right ISO is my number one point). 

No brand is perfect. NOTHING is perfect in this life. Is just a brand, for fuck sake. Don't worship it.
=============================================
About internet trollism: in the past, information was spread by media outlets. Interests aside, at least, in most cases, it was vetted for somewhat reasonable people, in both "sides"  - and I live in a country with media dictated by interests for the last 50 years; even then, there was more reason than the current times.

People still don know how easy is to "make" trending news nowadays - a little bit of money invested in specialized companies with dedicated teams with robots could make anything relevant. And I'm a TI guy, REALLY know how easy is to do it.

For 95% of the people,  if "everyone" (in your bubble) is talking about it, it is true. Because it is kinda was in the past - lies where spread because of interests, but insanity was more or less filtered. Bad for our dreams of free speech and liberty, but now we were seeing that freedom without knowledge is troublesome.

And no, I don't see a solution for it in the shor term.

For my part, I hear everything - even from some disgusting sources. Register it in the head, in 95% of the cases is bullshit, but even now and them you could get something good. Case in camera industry: Ken Rockwell. 95% of what he says is VERY bad, but I've got some good tips from him. Never will spread his word, but for my personal filter, is useful.

These are very dark times - sometimes I wonder if it was a good idea to bring a 3 yeas old girl to this world. But it is too late, and I just wish I can help her to live in this sea of hate. Hope I can.

Yep @Marcio Kabke Pinheiro some folks do get their knickers in a right old twist if you mention the slightest possibly deficiency in their tool of choice.

Me, I couldn’t care less what badge it’s wearing, but rather it’s what works best, or has the lowest number of compromises.

I don’t much care for Sony (though have and have had some of their cameras) but if it made business sense to me to switch, I would quite easily.

Ditto Canon, despite their mighty cripple hammer. Not really a fan of the brand or some of their moves, but I could overlook anything like that if the business case was made above some other option.

Right now, I’m a mostly happy L Mount user and will remain so until such a time as something justifiably better for me needs comes along. Hopefully it will be S2H flavored, but if wears a different badge, it wears a different badge!

7 hours ago, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

My two cents about all this.

Rumour sites: like them, because sometimes it could help you with purchase decisions. But all of them, without exception, should be name "fansites". Never anything could be said there except praise to the brand in question, even if you like the brand, even if you want to give constructive feedback to make the brand you like even better.

Brand worship is everywhere - even here.My take is that people invest a lot in a brand / mount and just want a confirmation bias and want to justify their purchase - it is a thing not exclusive to the photo industry, smartphone industry is the same. These people forget some basic things:

1) The brand X could be REALLY better for you, even if everyone say the contrary. Don't get offended by bad things said to "your" brand - no brand is perfect. Filter it, see if it its a legitamte flaw, see if it is really a flaw FOR YOU, and if it is a thing, if you can circunvent it. A problem is only a problem if it affects you.

Case in point: AF for video. For some people, it is a very important issue for some people - gimbal people, action people, some wedding cases (@MrSMW gave a very good example of it). It is non issue for other people - all of the movie industry which have amazing focus pullers, people in controlled enviroments, interview shots (amaze me people testing af in static shots videos - why?). It is a issue for you or not? In each case, don't dismiss the other camp, just look if it a issue FOR YOU.

2) ALL BRANDS have good and bad points - and all these point follows the 1 rule, all bad points and good / bad FOR YOU. I was a m43 user. Still love the portability of the lenses, still have a soft point for the format - but it have bad / good points. Moved to Fuji, liking it too. FOR ME, it is working better than m43 - but I will never say that m43 is crap IN ALL INSTANCES. And yes, even liking Fuji, there were some point that m43 is better (could changing ISO with a huge overlay screen without histogram to choose the right ISO is my number one point). 

No brand is perfect. NOTHING is perfect in this life. Is just a brand, for fuck sake. Don't worship it.
=============================================
About internet trollism: in the past, information was spread by media outlets. Interests aside, at least, in most cases, it was vetted for somewhat reasonable people, in both "sides"  - and I live in a country with media dictated by interests for the last 50 years; even then, there was more reason than the current times.

People still don know how easy is to "make" trending news nowadays - a little bit of money invested in specialized companies with dedicated teams with robots could make anything relevant. And I'm a TI guy, REALLY know how easy is to do it.

For 95% of the people,  if "everyone" (in your bubble) is talking about it, it is true. Because it is kinda was in the past - lies where spread because of interests, but insanity was more or less filtered. Bad for our dreams of free speech and liberty, but now we were seeing that freedom without knowledge is troublesome.

And no, I don't see a solution for it in the shor term.

For my part, I hear everything - even from some disgusting sources. Register it in the head, in 95% of the cases is bullshit, but even now and them you could get something good. Case in camera industry: Ken Rockwell. 95% of what he says is VERY bad, but I've got some good tips from him. Never will spread his word, but for my personal filter, is useful.

These are very dark times - sometimes I wonder if it was a good idea to bring a 3 yeas old girl to this world. But it is too late, and I just wish I can help her to live in this sea of hate. Hope I can.

My take is fundamentally different, and I expect to get pushback on this, but I don't think it's getting worse at all.  Not picking on you @Marcio Kabke Pinheiro - the "it's all going wrong" narrative is pretty common around here.

I think the fundamental issues are to do with humanity and the aggressive parts of our nature.  That hasn't changed.  Anyone who thinks the current period in history is bad should review history and see how things used to be.  Life used to be brutal and short.  In almost all cases "might made right" and the golden rule was the only rule - he that has the gold makes the rules.  

Social media isn't bad at all, it's just an echo chamber.  If you don't like the echos you're hearing then find another chamber.  

Actually, find 27 other chambers.  Find something that inspires you.  My favourite YouTubers are metalworkers and woodworkers and are building their own homes or cabins in the woods or write music or cook or talk about town planning or explain philosophy or mathematics or physics or economics or travel or living in other cultures/places or....  <and I stopped here, but I was only up to G in my subscriber list>

This advice goes for me too, as I need to spend less time on social.  I'm trying to read more.  I'm actually looking for more hobbies as the pandemic has limited things for so long that I need to have some new things in the mix to break things up and inspire me again.

Other than lashing out, did he ever actually go into detail and show his receipts re: Gerald, etc? He seemed to imply that he had some but didn't share anything specific, from what I can tell? 

I very much sympathize with him over the abuse he has received, but I hate when people drag others into the mud but don't ever go into detail and share evidence. All we've got is vague accusations, but nothing concrete, which doesn't really give us any info, and doesn't give the person they're targeting a chance to defend themselves. 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, newfoundmass said:

Other than lashing out, did he ever actually go into detail and show his receipts re: Gerald, etc? He seemed to imply that he had some but didn't share anything specific, from what I can tell? 

I very much sympathize with him over the abuse he has received, but I hate when people drag others into the mud but don't ever go into detail and share evidence. All we've got is vague accusations, but nothing concrete, which doesn't really give us any info, and doesn't give the person they're targeting a chance to defend themselves. 

He didn't go into detail or put any more out on Twitter as it would jeopardise the sale of the site. That's what he told me. Hopefully when he is 100% out of the industry he will be able to blow the whistle. If he doesn't, I'll be disappointed.

I can somewhat relate that people burn out in their field, or get extremely tired of some personalities that basically live of making or breaking products and false advertising because they get paid by x or y brand.  Social media has become extremely toxic, Youtube included. People are literally living to insult/diss/make other people feel bad. 

I work in a segment where there are not too many Youtubers (compared to camera gear) but there are millions of instagram accounts.  Sometimes people ask us for insider info (which we contractually cannot share), and they start harassing us, telling all their followers to unfollow and insult us etc... 

but you can be sure, if that guy would be in front of me, he wouldn't even dare to open his mouth, but being online gives people a sense of being untouchable

It's all such a missed opportunity really.

The internet has morphed from "we put ads around what you watch, that keeps it free" to "literally everything is an advert".

It all ties up with the false narrative of infinite growth, the endless destruction of resources in order to replace goods with intentionally shortened lifespans, the rewarding of the most narcissistic and least intellectually and emotionally developed people with the greatest prizes...

I've had VR since very early on, it's cool but full of flaws, I hope more people do good things with it. But what's supposed to be the draw with a highly corporatised "metaverse"? I get to watch even more invasive adverts, have lowest-common denominator borderline-educationally subnormal "influencers" shouting and pulling WIDEMOUTH WIDEYES face directly injected into my eyes hahahah, all the while being somehow exploited for data in ever more dystopian ways? Why would I bother?

On Canonrumors chap's meltdown on Twitter, I find camera YouTube remarkably depressing because it's just endless clones of the same #content over and over saying the same things. Every person with pastel coloured backlight, every person with a softbox off to the side, every person saying the same things and doing the same tests, hoping to get their scraps from the table. Then you buy a camera and actually use it to make stuff and it is NOTHING like any of them said it would be cos they only scratch the surface and move on to pulling pogface beside the next piece of gear...

I was thinking maybe I should make a vid that is a "2 years in" review of the S1H cos it'd be a bit different, but I bet the algorithms would just hide it because it isn't selling the latest trending model. That's how disheartening it is, it just makes me think "why bother".

• Super Members
1 hour ago, jgharding said:

I was thinking maybe I should make a vid that is a "2 years in" review of the S1H cos it'd be a bit different, but I bet the algorithms would just hide it because it isn't selling the latest trending model. That's how disheartening it is, it just makes me think "why bother".

Here you go, try it with this thumbnail to tick all the boxes that will get you on the front page.

masterclass.jpg.6f4e92e25c98dda06f9798ec9ff370a2.jpg