CanonRumors owner decides to quit

hoodlum

Below is a short excerpt from his post but this is not surprising as so much goes on behind the scenes that most don’t know about. 

https://www.canonrumors.com/thats-all-folks-for-me-anyway-canon-rumors-will-live-on/

This has sort of been in the works for about the last year or so. I haven’t had much fun with this site over the last 2 or 3 years, a new demographic of people have exhausted me. I think a lot of this change started with the proliferation of YouTube personalities over the last 5 years.

Nothing is about information anymore, it’s only about whose saying it. This is true for all forms of media and I really don’t want to be a part of it.

However, yesterday they came at my children and my wife. They came at my family….. little fanboys of certain YouTubers that have obviously been raised horribly. What was in my inbox I won’t even show my wife. I’m tearing up writing this with absolute disgust for how horrible people are becoming. All of this is created by the personalities (I refuse to call them creators), they feed off of it, they profit off of it and they don’t care

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Certainly came out of the blue, did this from Craig. I wish him all the best. Sounds like he needs a break like me. If he sold the site to a good home, and took a good pay cheque from it I hope he can build something fresh and new out of that and use the money to take a good photographic adventure.

Social media brings out the worst instincts in human beings.

Tribal behaviours. Epidemic misinformation and lies.

I didn't see what has been going on with Craig, but he seems to have completely deleted his Twitter and closed up shop there.

The internet is fucked.

Facebook can go out of business as far as I'm concerned, and they've ruined Instagram / WhatsApp too, so they can go in the bin along with the whole Meta group. Fuck VR as well. Nobody wants this shit. It's a distraction at best, at worst it can takes lives or destroys democratic political system.

Facebook and social media has sucked so much life out of my own business - this forum would be busier too, if it weren't for the distraction of Facebook groups and Twitter. Thankfully $200 billion shaved off FB's share price this week so couldn't happen to a nicer company.

I haven't always seen eye to eye with any of the rumours sites. But I genuinely do wish Craig well in what he does next

2 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

There needs to be an evolution of internet culture in order to healthily engage with it.

The way that people behave online (both good and bad) is predictable if you understand basic psychology, inter-personal communication channels, and the current way that the internet is designed.

History tells us that technology always comes before our ability to understand and manage it, so anything new wreaks havoc before we gradually work it out and restore some degree of balance.  The acceleration of technology means that there are more things expanding unchecked than ever before, and it can be a rough ride.

Times are also tough in COVID times where people are more likely to be stressed and venting online, rather than being calm and forgiving.  

A good strategy is to monitor what you do in life and pay attention to those things that make you feel better about yourself and those that don't, and then moderate or remove those negative influences.  Ultimately we're all battling the temptations of our more base instincts....  do I eat salad or a burger? do I read a book or scroll social media?  do I spend time with people or watch TV? etc etc..

I use social media (IG) for business only otherwise the greater portion of it is toxic in my opinion.

So much misinformation and soapbox ranting…

I keep it to an absolute minimum as I do YouTube comments.

The single biggest problem as I see it is the complete anonymity of the most toxic. It empowers them in their cancerous commentary.

• Super Members
9 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Social media brings out the worst instincts in human beings.

To be honest mate, he was more than happy to set his gang of rabid little shits off on you over the R5 overheating issue until he belatedly realised he had backed the wrong horse.

That was grade A shithouse behaviour.

10 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

He did some great things on there. Yeah time to move on. All this social media stuff is going to hell. Crazy ass world we live in now. I don't envy young people. 

On the spot Don... we live strange times these social media days although I don't think we have to put social networks and internet tools in the same basket ;- )

• Administrators
17 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

To be honest mate, he was more than happy to set his gang of rabid little shits off on you over the R5 overheating issue until he belatedly realised he had backed the wrong horse.

That was grade A shithouse behaviour.

Oh yes. I'd forgotten about that.

Crazy fanboy lunatics. I had daily anonymous threats via my contact form with fake email addresses. Found the guy by looking up his IP address and comparing it to previous website use where he'd used his name and email.

I think the reason I forgot about the Canon fanboys was because most of all I remember the Philip Bloom defenders coming after me in their hundreds.

Damn.. first Nokishita shutting down last month, now Canon Rumors?! WTF

Site will be missed, wether you like/hate Canon, one must recognise it was one of the most reliable rumour sites out there.

I don’t know anything about the fanboy wars going on social media etc but going after his wife & kids?! That’s plain fucked up and beyond wack. 

The online hate for Canon is strong as ever but cmon don’t shoot the messenger!

I might get a lot of hate here for saying this....but he came across as a complete prick to me and I personally will not miss him one bit; I will miss the rumors site and information itself but his behavior towards me IMO was not much better than the behavior he is saying he received from others.

When the Canon R5 overheating fiasco happened I was the first one on that site to really tell it like it was. I wasted many hours getting into endless debates with the Canon fanboys on that site who swore the overheating wasn't a big deal and wouldn't affect the camera's useability. I kept everything respectful, simply stated my opinion and basically said the camera would be completely useless for even light professional work (which turned out to be right in a big way), and Craig banned me for it and labelled my account a troll.

Incidentally, getting banned from there helped me discover this site so for me it all turned out fine. Craig made it clear that on his site any post that wasn't worshipping at the feet of all things Canon would get the user banned; not even a warning.

All people say crazy things about each other on social media. Thats not the main story. Name calling and ugly conversation came after Craig attacking youtubers for the fact they're stealing his work and pretend they're making original content. Its about money after all, because the videos that contain CR materials are getting more views, so making a lot of money for the channel owner. He was very angry that he does the job, he has the sources, but a bunch of Not_Even_A_Photographer "influencers" take most of the money. He lost his control when they told him "we owe you nothing", in many different ways.

I would handle this better, but I'm not him, and its a tricky situation. Because.. well.. you you can't copyright rumors 🙂

15 hours ago, MrSMW said:

The single biggest problem as I see it is the complete anonymity of the most toxic. It empowers them in their cancerous commentary.

Until a couple of years ago. Now people with their full name and with a profile picture of their family, posts in FB wishing death to someone else. It is sad, more than anything.

But adults are turning into rabid teenagers with zero responsibility.  

Read the Canon Rumors Twitter. He had a sort of meltdown and said he had “the goods” on youtubers like Gerald, Fro, and others. Not sure what it was all about.

He also told Tyler Stalman to just the fuck up because he gives Eoshd a voice or something of that manner. Not sure what that was about either. 

8 hours ago, herein2020 said:

Craig made it clear that on his site any post that wasn't worshipping at the feet of all things Canon would get the user banned; not even a warning.

If that's where he was with things (including getting the insults to his kids), then, yeah, it's definitely a good thing to step back in general.  I mean, all of it is just ridiculous and if anyone on either side loses healthy perspective, you might as well just throw it in the bin and walk away.  

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Video Hummus said:

Read the Canon Rumors Twitter. He had a sort of meltdown and said he had “the goods” on youtubers like Gerald, Fro, and others. Not sure what it was all about.

I think it's obvious what it's about, and I fully agree with him.

273037391_10220901987594969_6673737183509475829_n.jpg

272893195_10220901987434965_1677636408951678569_n.jpg

272973986_10220901987314962_221803289890714659_n.jpg

272905909_10220902835136157_7185884106832630266_n.jpg

1 hour ago, Video Hummus said:

He also told Tyler Stalman to just the fuck up because he gives Eoshd a voice or something of that manner. Not sure what that was about either. 

But on that I have no idea what is going on.

Strange times indeed!