Fun Simple Story With Fun Simple Cameras

fuzzynormal

We're still heavily tweaking the mix and grade, edit... you know, stuff, but here's a close to finish draft for any of you chuckleheads that want a sneakpeek of M43 doing B&W stuff.  

Everything was shot at f2.8 on three lenses.  Two primes, 24mm and 50mm, from the old Pentax Auto110 series, and the Oly 12-40 Pro.  I had fun with it.  We didn't do much fancy shooting 'cuz it was all one set and we wanted to emulate a 30's movie, but that was part of the joy of it all.

Oh, GH5 and a EM10iii.  23.96 fps @25ss.  ISO 800, mostly.

What else?  FilmConvertPro using their Ilford400 setting.  Also (god help me never again) RedGiant's misfire plugin and universe transitions.

So, look, small indy films involve a ridiculous amount of compromises along the way just to get made.  It's a small miracle it happened, warts and all.  Believe me, I pretty much only see the warts at this point.  

Hooray!  Filmmaking!  (I'll only leave this up for a short time...)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

WOW Many Congrats! I am delighted! Top outcome < 3 I'd love to distribute it... : ) No film festivals? BTW did you close your funding campaign already? I've handled more than one hundred successful crowdfunding campaigns crossing different countries and distinct platforms worldwide so far, you know? :- )

39 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

WOW Many Congrats! I am delighted! Top outcome < 3 I'd love to distribute it... : ) No film festivals? BTW did you close your funding campaign already? I've handled more than one hundred successful crowdfunding campaigns crossing different countries and distinct platforms worldwide so far, you know? :- )

Thanks for the pleasant feedback.  We just started submitting yesterday.  We are in one local fest that happens in March.  So we'll see how all that goes.

Fundraising is still open, hopefully, to alleviate the damage to our credit cards:  https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-wrap-the-gift-for-all-ages-film

If you have any other questions you'd like answered, drop me a DM.

And again, thanks for the compliments.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2022 at 8:05 PM, fuzzynormal said:

Thanks for the pleasant feedback.  We just started submitting yesterday.  We are in one local fest that happens in March.  So we'll see how all that goes.

Fundraising is still open, hopefully, to alleviate the damage to our credit cards:  https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-wrap-the-gift-for-all-ages-film

If you have any other questions you'd like answered, drop me a DM.

And again, thanks for the compliments.

Sent : ) Matthew, your short movie is something really unique... and I just think this production should be celebrated, once people end fully surrendered < 3

On 2/3/2022 at 4:11 AM, fuzzynormal said:

We're still heavily tweaking the mix and grade, edit... you know, stuff, but here's a close to finish draft for any of you chuckleheads that want a sneakpeek of M43 doing B&W stuff.  

Everything was shot at f2.8 on three lenses.  Two primes, 24mm and 50mm, from the old Pentax Auto110 series, and the Oly 12-40 Pro.  I had fun with it.  We didn't do much fancy shooting 'cuz it was all one set and we wanted to emulate a 30's movie, but that was part of the joy of it all.

Oh, GH5 and a EM10iii.  23.96 fps @25ss.  ISO 800, mostly.

What else?  FilmConvertPro using their Ilford400 setting.  Also (god help me never again) RedGiant's misfire plugin and universe transitions.

So, look, small indy films involve a ridiculous amount of compromises along the way just to get made.  It's a small miracle it happened, warts and all.  Believe me, I pretty much only see the warts at this point.  

Hooray!  Filmmaking!  (I'll only leave this up for a short time...)

At 4.16 how did you manage to get @webrunner5to do a cameo ? 😉 

nice work that must some sort of mission to do that set, all the period items  and suchlike. i'm building a lego set so i take my hat of to you guys for all the effort you all put in. 

17 hours ago, leslie said:

some sort of mission to do that set, all the period items and suchlike.

Yeah, the ExProd's background is in set building, so he really loved helping on that part of it.  But, truth be told, we cut a ton of corners when it came to authenticity.  Made do with a lot of compromises.

One of the funnest, coolest, and most useful tools we found for getting our lenses and camera ready was using the free app of BLENDER for pre-visualization.

Honestly, we tried a bunch of "pro" solutions to create pre-viz and storyboards, but nothing was as effective (and obviously as affordable) as BLENDER.

Here's an example of one of our master shots compared to the final result.  Audio was taken from our initial video conference call/table read:

Special thanks to Jacob Zirkle for the tutorial allowing us to be much more practical with this simple and creative solution.