Sigma FP-L v2.00 Firmware

BTM_Pix

• Super Members

Sigma have quietly-ish released quite a significant update for the FP-L

https://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/major-firmware-update-for-the-sigma-fp-l-ver-2-00/

The big headline is the inclusion of false colour and I'm curious to know whether this can go some way to address the, erm, "quirky" metering issues when shooting RAW.

It also adds the linear/non-linear option for the focus ring on compatible lenses and smart new option to select which exposure settings you want to carry over when switching from Still to Cine.

No word yet on whether that will adopt the new Canon industry standard metric for hybrid cameras of taking 8 seconds to switch between....

The big question, of course, is when this is coming to the regular FP as it seems unlikely Sigma would do a snide differentiation thing.

Has anyone here actually got an FP-L ?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Just now, BTM_Pix said:

No word yet on whether that will adopt the new Canon industry standard metric for hybrid cameras of taking 8 seconds to switch between....

Unfortunately, the switch is still near instantaneous. Hope we get the glorious 8 second wait soon..😉

I have a Sigma fp L, and it is a fantastic camera. Sigma documented in it's lens firmware updates that the regular fp camera will get it's firmware in April.  

3 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

canon haven't thought this 8 second time out through very well.  If they had of, it would be a touch longer, long enough to observe some niceties, you know like a coffee or cup of tea perhaps. 

4 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Of course not, that would be silly.

Instead, I think they quietly slipped in by way of firmware, the switch to activate the IBIS system. And possibly the hidden tilt screen trigger. And the mechanical shutter.

It’s now utterly brilliant.

In all seriousness, I did want to love and even purchase several of these little buggers, but it didn’t ‘quite’ hit the mark for me and I fear any future one wouldn’t either.

Love their lenses however and I know they read Sigma posts on EOSHD because it’s how they contacted me to ask if I’d like to try one (an FP-L) and any lenses.

One of the better companies that seems to care about their customers. Unlike some I could mention beginning with C…

9 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

In all seriousness, I did want to love and even purchase several of these little buggers, but it didn’t ‘quite’ hit the mark for me and I fear any future one wouldn’t either.

I'd still recommend the original fp to anyone wanting to do only video, but it is a much better stationary camera than run and gun. I think your Lumix cameras would serve you better for wedding videography.

Although, in my last wedding I hung the fp L with a clamp high up as the ceremony space was extremely limited. With the small size it was  hardly noticeable. The tally lamp let me verify recording and the crop zoom let me use one my I series lenses with a small crop to get the frame I wanted. Recording raw directly to SSD and ran no problem for almost an hour. All handheld video was with the S1.

In situations like that it works great. I think there are a few revisions they can make to the next one to entice me to upgrade, but let's see where they take it. 

6 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

The big question, of course, is when this is coming to the regular FP as it seems unlikely Sigma would do a snide differentiation thing.

According to this release about the focussing... 

https://www.sigma-global.com/en/news/2022/01/20/17062/

* SIGMA fp L will be supported by updating to firmware Ver.2.00 scheduled to be released on January 27, and SIGMA fp will be supported by updating to firmware which is scheduled to be released in April.

No word on what else will come to the OGFP, but I would imagine most of the same updates.

12 hours ago, amweber21 said:

In situations like that it works great. I think there are a few revisions they can make to the next one to entice me to upgrade, but let's see where they take it. 

Well I am 100% in the L Mount system now with; 3 bodies (S1R, S1H, S5) and 6 lenses (2 Panny, 4 Sigma) and ideally, I'd like to stay with them for as long as the system works for me.

Which it currently does ticking more boxes for me than anything else currently out there.

For the duration of 2022 at least, I won't make a single change to the line up. I've built it up from the S5 in Oct 2020, through the other 2 bodies and most of the lenses last year and added the final lens this year.

It's only weakness (for my needs) is the less than reliable tracking AF.

As to 'wants', - I'd ideally like identical bodies and if I could get those somewhere realistically bigger/heavier than the S5, but slightly smaller/lighter than the S1H, that would be great, ie, take all 3 camera that I have and make them have a menage et trois lovechild.

That may happen with a Panny S2H, but at this point in time, that is just a wish/fantasy.

Anything FP flavoured, whether used for filming or stills could potentially fit in somewhere to my line up as all the glass works.

If Sigma do make a 3rd generation FP however, that could be another alternative option but they would need to:

1: Have a level of non-mechanical shutter equivalent to the new Nikon Z9, arguably the first camera that has made e:shutter work properly.

2: Have IBIS because for my needs, only 1 of my 6 lenses has OIS and I need good handheld stability. Is the FP body too small however?  The Olympus EPL10 has it and so does the Sony A6600. In regard to the former, it's actually slightly smaller and lighter...but maybe doesn't have the heat management of the FP...

3: Ideally, I'd like a tilt screen but it's not a dealbreaker as an aftermarket option does exist.

4: It would have to be compelling enough to beat out any S2H for my needs.

When I tested the L model, I loved it's form factor and with a small grip, it would be fabulous.

Loved the files. Maybe a little larger than I'd ideally like (around 40-50mp would be my ideal) but didn't test the video capability because it had already failed on the stills side of things due to banding under artificial light and with weddings where I have little to no control over that kind of thing. Bought a used S1R instead.

So I really really hope Sigma do not abandon the FP line now, but expect they are more likely to than continue because sales must be pretty low (?) and they instead simply concentrate on their increasingly popular lenses.