Canon R5/R3 raw CRM video files to Cinema DNG

ChrisInColour

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Cheers Andrew, I'm aware that the raw partially debayerd with Cannons secret sauce embedded in (or what ever the technical term is).

I just hoping there was some way of converting them with what ever data is there. I really like Adobes processing of Cinema Dngs, the process is mind numbing slow but the results are very good.

Does anyone know of a workflow or an app the might be able to do it?

Also does anyone have a workflow to get the best possible processing out of the canon raws?

Thanks

Chris

I'm guessing that if you have the studio version of Resolve you could do it?

I'd imagine that the files from the R5/R3 will be readable in Resolve and it can definitely export CinemaDNG files.  You'll need the paid (Studio) version though as the free version has a resolution cap on it (4K perhaps?) and I'd assume you're dealing with larger resolutions from those cameras.

• Administrators

There is no option for DNG in Resolve export.

You can only import Cinema DNG.

This is all a bit like trying to import a JPEG into Photoshop and saving it as a RAW file!

I don't think it can be done or even makes sense because what makes DNG handle so nicely with Adobe's processing is the fact that it is virtually uncompressed true sensor RAW data, and Canon RAW isn't - that stuff is already processed and a lot is lost.

5 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

You can't use Adobe Camera Raw controls with a TIFF I don't think?

This page at Adobe says "You can still edit JPEG and TIFF images in Camera Raw, but you will be editing pixels that were already processed by the camera. Camera raw files always contain the original, unprocessed pixels from the camera."

That's why I suggest it might be an option.  IIRC TIFF can also be uncompressed and can contain high bit depths so it seems a good container to keep the benefits of RAW files but get the pixels into a container that works with ACR.  It would still have to be de-bayered in Resolve of course, but I doubt that the aesthetic difference that the OP is seeing is some revolutionary approach to de-bayering.  Of course, maybe it is and this approach may not work, but if it didn't then Resolve would be out, and it's a convenient tool considering the OP already has it.

As soon as you export to something Resolve would need to process the RAW. I wish there would be a tool that can generate a cRaw frame out of a CRL video file.

As I process video and photo differently and I do a lot of frame extraction this is how I do:

- In Resolve on a 8k timeline I do select the CRL and then the frame that I want hit I and then O so basically mark the a single frame and drop it to the timeline, repeat for each frame that I want.

- Render the 8k timeline as 16bit Tiff

- Edit the Tiff in Adobe Camera Raw

- I also have the canon LUTs installed in Adobe Camera Raw

- Ev final edit in photoshop if needed

I set the camera raw panel in resolve to not apply any sharpening.

If you need a big wb change you need to do it in Resolve up front, the rest I can do all in ACR and I’m quite happy on how much processing I can do on the 16bit Tiff.

For video I do everything in Resolve I see no point in doing CRL -> Tiff -> ACR for video…

Thanks gt3rs for the workflow, really helpful. Unfortunately with after effects you cant force it to open in camera raw.

There doesn't seem to be anyway to open and make use of camera raw with the Canon CRM files. Shame I do very much prefer the cinema dng camera raw workflow.

Andrew

On 1/27/2022 at 6:45 AM, Andrew Reid said:

Here's a suggestion, dump the EOS R5 and get a 5D Mark III with Magic Lantern RAW DNG, or a Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K with original firmware 😉

Yes I already do.

I have a 5d mark iii with magic lantern that I do a lot of projects with, using one of the Dante builds. Convert the MLV to cinema dng and process in after effects. Slow but the results are amazing. Truly amazing.

I also have a Blackmagic Cinema Camera 2.5k MTF with a speed booster using the original firmware for non compressed CDNGS. Again processed in after effects. The results from that sensor are stunning.

I just was looking at either the R5 or R3, just for workflow on some projects. In built stabilisation, autofocus, small in built screen. Faster transcoding workflow.  Everything in a small package.

Chris