New firmware for Sigma L-mount lenses, linear control for some lenses on L-mount cameras

Roger

A great feature that makes manual focusing easier with a lot of Sigmas lenses.

"[Benefit of the update]
・It introduces compatibility with the “focus ring control” function of the camera, allowing either “linear” or “non-linear” focus movement to be selected when using MF.
* SIGMA fp L, SIGMA fp, Panasonic Lumix S1, Lumix S1R, Lumix S1H, Lumix S5, Lumix BS1H, Leica SL2, SL2-S are supported."

https://www.sigma-global.com/en/news/2022/01/20/17062/

I've updated the 35 mm 1.4 DG DN, 24-70 2.8 DG DN and 45 2.8 DG DN lenses with my S5. You can't choose all focus throw options on the lenses, it differs from lens to lens.

A PDF with linear focusing capability on Sigma lenses:

https://www.sigma-global.com/en/wp/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/19194020/b426410d055d97782540c28f4b9b01d1.pdf

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

Nice, thanks. As an FP user, I also found this line quite interesting...

* SIGMA fp will be supported by updating to firmware which is scheduled to be released in April.

I wonder what else they'll be adding to that firmware.

We should know soon. The fp L 2.00 firmware is coming this Thursday the 27th. Other than the linear focus support, if there are any new additions we will most likely see them come to the fp in April.

I presume no benefit for af users?

I have the: 35 f2, 65 f2 (my filming workhorses on the S1H), the new tiny 18-50 f2.8 (for static tripod and gimbal video work on the S5) and the still relatively small, 28-70 f2.8 (paired with the S1R) for stills.

Might pick up the 90 and the coming soon 20 this year depending on need…

Big fan of recent Sigma glass with L Mount!

On 1/24/2022 at 12:34 PM, MrSMW said:

I presume no benefit for af users?

I have the: 35 f2, 65 f2 (my filming workhorses on the S1H), the new tiny 18-50 f2.8 (for static tripod and gimbal video work on the S5) and the still relatively small, 28-70 f2.8 (paired with the S1R) for stills.

Might pick up the 90 and the coming soon 20 this year depending on need…

Big fan of recent Sigma glass with L Mount!

Nothing for AF, other than the 35mm AF noise being reduced. I've updated my 35mm and 65mm and they work with linear support on the S1 perfectly. I am hoping it will work the other way so I can use my 24-105mm on the fp L with linear MF.

Looking to get that 20mm also to round out the kit!