My Journey To Virtual Production

BTM_Pix

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@Gianluca I would love to see what you do with “The City” in the Unreal and python background remover thread!

I just got a used computer with a 3090 in it.  When I use the mouse to navigate there is a little screen tearing but it is playing back in real-time fine. When I use the arrow keys it is is pretty much smooth. I believe it is because I only have a 6 core CPU (AMD 5600). I also did not change the quality setting which can make a difference.

My next move is to purchase a AMD 5950x CPU . And put a large fast second hard drive to pull the data from. When I’ve done these things I will have met the minimum specification for The City so I think it will be fine with mosts maps.

The thing is for virtual production, if you are just loading a fixed set / location rather than a 4 kilometer area map with lots of AI traffic and crowds it should be fine for real-time if you meet the minimum specifications.

What is fascinating to me is how Unreal Engine 5 basically uses / allocates resources so efficiently.  It is as if it has a George Lucas producer mindset.  What is the minimum to fool the audience by taking advantage of cutting edge technology…

What I don’t think is there yet are the meta humans … so real actors shot against a live virtual background is about as real as Unreal can get right now…

• 1 month later...
On 3/4/2022 at 9:45 AM, BTM_Pix said:

.... various protocols to handle lens position encoders, translators for PTZ camera systems and more generic protocols such as DMX and MIDI.

Although it is obviously most closely associated with music, it is this final one that I decided to use.

The first commercially available MIDI synth was the Sequential Prophet 600 which I bought (and still have!) a couple of years after it was released in 1982 and in the intervening four decades (yikes!) I have used MIDI for numerous projects outside of just music so its not only a protocol that I'm very familiar with but it also offers a couple of advantages for this experimentation.

The first that, due to its age, it is a simple well documented protocol to work with and the second is that due to its ubiquity there are tons of cheaply available control surfaces that greatly help when you are prodding about.

Enjoyed seeing the Prophet 600 mentioned, bought mine in 1986 and it still works fine.

Today, sorry to see the news on the passing of Dave Smith, the man who invented MIDI, and the Prophet.

https://www.npr.org/2022/06/07/1103569627/remembering-dave-smith-inventor-of-midi-and-the-prophet-5-synthesizer

• 1 month later...

This is somewhat off topic but the software has been mentioned here. 

I want to use Background Matting V2 professionally; it is very impressive. Essentially it used AI to perform rotoscoping of a subject, allowing you to “green screen without a green screen.” My concern however is privacy. The successor to this project, Robust Video Matting, has the following on its GitHub page: that it was developed at ByteDance Inc. I know this company owns TikTok and are known for storing user data on Chinese servers. My question is, is background matting v2 safe to use? I mean the developers seem like fine people, but the lead developer worked at ByteDance for a while, and just seeing that text I’m the GitHub description I guess got me a little worried. Should I be concerned?https://github.com/PeterL1n/BackgroundMattingV2 

https://github.com/PeterL1n/RobustVideoMatting

44 minutes ago, FHDcrew said:

My concern however is privacy. The successor to this project, Robust Video Matting, has the following on its GitHub page: that it was developed at ByteDance Inc. I know this company owns TikTok and are known for storing user data on Chinese servers. My question is, is background matting v2 safe to use? I mean the developers seem like fine people, but the lead developer worked at ByteDance for a while, and just seeing that text I’m the GitHub description I guess got me a little worried. Should I be concerned?

Robust Video Matting appears to be open source, licensed under the GPL-3.0.

If that is so, there isn't too much to worry about -- the source code is open for all to scrutinize.

23 hours ago, tupp said:

Robust Video Matting appears to be open source, licensed under the GPL-3.0.

If that is so, there isn't too much to worry about -- the source code is open for all to scrutinize.

Are there really any FOSS solutions superior to BGM v2?  I know there is RVM but I feel if you can get that clean plate, BGM V2 is better.