Laughable Chris and Jordan video on medium format

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

"Nothing unique or special about the look"

"They are all equivalent... APS-C, full frame, medium format"

*Stops down GFX lens to F3.5...."Same look to DOF as APS-C at F1.8"

FUCK

When camera store salesman become an authority on photography and video...

You get this!

Widespread misinformation.

Sad to see how many people in the YouTube comments just accept it.

Stopping down a medium format camera and then complaining it can't do anything different to an APS-C model at F1.8????

Put a Minolta MD 58mm F1.2 on APS-C, full frame and medium format and tell me they all look equivalent!

With same lens, look would be completely different on all 3.

Equivalency is being taken to mean there is no difference in the look of different camera formats.

It completely ignores the fact that lenses are matched to sensor size.

If you take one designed for one format and apply it to another, it looks different!

I wouldn't be surprised if they punted this out just to generate the heat.

It is after all quite chilly in Canada.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

There are too many typical blunders and erroneous assumptions in this slipshod equivalency test to make it conclusive or worthwhile.  Additionally, the testers are biased at the outset.

Like almost all other such tests, the results suggest a difference between formats, which the testers acknowledge but dismiss.

Sets the cameras to match each other, and surprised they look the same. One of the dumbest exercises I've seen in a while. Full frame is nothing special compared to M43 by the same logic.

Thinking that DOF is the only reason to choose a sensor size is ridiculous. MF is often shot at the other end of the aperture spectrum where the detail, dynamic range, and physical size of the optical and sensor area provide an advantage in image fidelity, or retaining the DOF while stopping down where a lens preforms better.

Alas, a typical Dpreview video.

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, amweber21 said:

Thinking that DOF is the only reason to choose a sensor size is ridiculous.

Yeah, a gross over simplification in order to generate clicks.

It is the job of people like DPReview to break the surface and expand the knowledge of those in the market for gear. It's incredibly depressing to see the sheep in the YouTube comments. The same people who rave about full frame Sony this and Canon that, all seem to buy the Chris & Jordan line that sensor size doesn't matter and it all looks the same. Why aren't they all shooting with a GoPro then!

I really don't believe DPR are this stupid and I think it could be a ploy. They are either doing this on purpose to create controversy, discussion and attention, or pandering to their vast majority of readers who own Sony & Canon full frame or APS-C cameras. If Amazon sells more of those, DPR has done its job. GFX and medium format users probably don't need to read DPReview anyway for advice on sensor size! Especially not when it's this wrong.

The F3.5 vs F1.8 shit is what really gets me.

It's like comparing the top speed of a Ferrari and a family run-around, but never accelerating past 30mph... then claiming they are the same! WTF!

It's impossible to satire it.

It even feels stupid criticizing it because in order to do so you have to point out such blindingly obvious stuff!

Every time Chris and Jordan recommend a full frame camera over micro four thirds from now on I will remind them of this video.

13 hours ago, Nikkor said:

They will have to make a correction video explaining why they are wrong. When people in the comment section know more than the guys writing the articles, maybe it's time to look for alternatives.

The people in the comments section always know more than the people in the video, even if they don't lol.

13 hours ago, MrSMW said:

I got about 1.5 minutes into this one earlier today…and then said “nah” and flipped over to watch the latest day in the life adventure of Kotaro the otter.

I was just going to post a reply saying "where has this been all my life??" but I realise I watched one recently that was hilarious....  they try sparkling water!

In a rare moment where every star in existence aligned, I sent that to my daughter while we were out at breakfast with a few of her friends and she played it for the whole table on her phone and everyone watched and for 5 whole minutes no-ones ADHD interrupted.  I wouldn't have believed it was possible if I didn't actually witness it!

I find sensor format discussion to be the least fruitfull discussion in the video/photo community.

But I'll join it anyway with my opinion:

- There isn't anything magical about any certain sensor sizes

- "Full-frame" is the best choice in most situation simply because it's the most adopted format with a large selection og good lens and up-to-date image sensor and focusing technology

- I enjoy shooting 6x9 and 4x5, but 4x5 is too impractical for everyday use

1 hour ago, UncleBobsPhotography said:

I am not too sure I would totally agree with that statement, but I really don't like the old well all you have to do is step back or forward to get the same viewpoint. You can't always do that and I don't want to buy super zooms just to make it even.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, UncleBobsPhotography said:

What do you mean when you say "magical"? It's a bit of a strange word you can read all sorts of meanings into. Also you have to take the lenses together with what sensor size they look most interesting on. Oddly enough a lot of my full frame lenses look more interesting on a GFX camera even though they're designed for a full frame sensor.

Some look better, some don't work. Likewise, put the vintage Canon Dream Lens 50mm F0.95 on Micro Four Thirds and the magical look is lost.

Larger sensors have magical technical properties as well. More light gathering abilities per exposure, and usually higher dynamic range in RAW. That's not to say you can't fake it with smaller sensors by combining multiple frames like smartphones do and other advanced DR and noise reduction techniques, but the larger the sensor the cleaner the image all else being equal.

GFX for me is magical, it has a different look with ALL of my lenses compared to full frame. Of course I have more lenses designed for full frame but the fun is in trying these on an even larger sensor, and capturing images with a look I've simply not been able to do before.

I hope we can think in terms of matching lenses to cameras, not in basic terms of tech specs or shallow DOF.

There are beautiful lenses and looks on ALL formats. Even smartphones with their computational optics and apps.

Kern Switar 26mm F1.1 I would never trade in just because it only covers a relatively small Super 16mm sensor.

The look is special.

Canon Dream Lens I would never sell because it vignettes on medium format GFX mount.

Medium format I would never give up because that's unique as well.

So yes there is magic about a certain sensor size - both creative magic and technical - and in certain lenses when combined with particular sensor sizes.

Please do not listen to the click weasels and their oversimplification equivalence BS.

Yeah there is nothing special about medium format. Please if you happen to own a hasselblad or phase one system, put it on sale on ebay. Hurry before people notice how overpriced they are. I will happily buy your gear from you because I'm a very kind and generous idiot.

I'm specially interested in outdated and primitve CCD backs like a IQ280 or a h5d60. 

I should preface this by saying that most of my experience with medium and large format cameras are from analog cameras. I don't own any medium format digital cameras, but I've got 4 medium format analog cameras and 2 large format.

4 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

What do you mean when you say "magical"?

More surface area makes it easier to put in more/better electronics than on a smaller surface area. If it can be explained it isn't magical?

Likewise, put the vintage Canon Dream Lens 50mm F0.95 on Micro Four Thirds and the magical look is lost.

Lenses are perhaps even more important than the sensor, and adapting a lens to a smaller format than it's intended to will cripple its potential. This combined with the point above is the advange of larger formats.

More light gathering abilities per exposure

I guess this discussion is the one I dislike the most. The light gathering mostly comes from the lens. My fastest 6x9 lens is a Schneider-Kreuznach Xenar 105mm 3.5. My Canon f/1.2 lenses gathers more light on a full frame sensor than any of my 6x9 lenses. However, I don't really care as both of them gathers enough light for my uses.

My Kodak Ektar 152mm f/4.5 might challenge my Canon glass... if I only had a digital back for it.

GFX for me is magical, it has a different look with ALL of my lenses compared to full frame. Of course I have more lenses designed for full frame but the fun is in trying these on an even larger sensor, and capturing images with a look I've simply not been able to do before.

And now to the admission that you might be right. Every time I've taken photos with my GH5, I've been disappointed with the look. It's hard to explain why, but the photos simply looks boring compared with my full-frame photos. It's almost like the magic is missing. Maybe my full-frame cameras would feel the same if I owned a medium format digital.