V.C. Marketing Brilliance -- Olympus Rebranded As "OM System."

tupp

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Lets give them the benefit of the doubt and see what they do. I think it will be hard going since MFT sensor development has slowed compared to FF and MF sensors.

Having moved to FF, and looking at affordable S35 cinema cameras, I still would consider MFT if the entire package is there. A MFT cinema camera with internal ND and good dynamic range around 13 stops in a mirrorless style body smaller than C70...that is interesting. Olympus has great f/1.2 primes. They need to update their f/2 zooms and revamp them for video in useful focal ranges: 9-25, 12-40, 40-100 f/2.

A 9-25 f/2 + 40-100 f/2 would be a sweet small package if the body has cinema features.

2 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

Lets give them the benefit of the doubt and see what they do. I think it will be hard going since MFT sensor development has slowed compared to FF and MF sensors.

Having moved to FF, and looking at affordable S35 cinema cameras, I still would consider MFT if the entire package is there. A MFT cinema camera with internal ND and good dynamic range around 13 stops in a mirrorless style body smaller than C70...that is interesting. Olympus has great f/1.2 primes. They need to update their f/2 zooms and revamp them for video in useful focal ranges: 9-25, 12-40, 40-100 f/2.

A 9-25 f/2 + 40-100 f/2 would be a sweet small package if the body has cinema features.

Have there been many new MFT sensors developed?  I have no idea.  It'll be interesting to see what the GH6 specs include, as obviously sensor tech will limit them.

I agree about the need for a fast wide zoom for MFT.  There aren't even any 16-35/4 equivalents, let alone 16-35/2.8 equivalents.

43 minutes ago, kye said:

Have there been many new MFT sensors developed?

Time does not stand still.

43 minutes ago, kye said:

I have no idea.

It does not take excuses or do repeats.

44 minutes ago, kye said:

It'll be interesting to see

The sun won’t ask for your permission to set

44 minutes ago, kye said:

as obviously sensor tech will limit them

a smile comes and goes

hi @webrunner5~!

On 1/15/2022 at 7:17 PM, Video Hummus said:

Lets give them the benefit of the doubt and see what they do.

Okay, but this vague, flimsy marketing announcement has all the hallmarks of "penny wisdom and pound foolishness" that is typical of venture capital brand acquisitions.  No doubt, the Japanese V.C. firm didn't write those shallow, "archy" lines -- they probably hired an American PR firm.

Hopefully, they will put a lot more resources into development. manufacturing and support than they put into their marketing.

On 1/14/2022 at 4:52 PM, webrunner5 said:

I hope they didn't pay someone a ton of money to design that webpage! They probably did. 😬

Let's hope that they put more effort and resources into developing, manufacturing and supporting future cameras.

6 hours ago, tupp said:

Let's hope that they put more effort and resources into developing, manufacturing and supporting future cameras.

The investment is encouraging, although I have heard that the last thing a company does before shuttering is do a massive advertising blast as a final effort.  Let's hope it's a larger strategy and not one from desperation, although renaming the company doesn't seem to make sense in a short-term context, so here's hoping!

13 hours ago, tupp said:

Hopefully, they will put a lot more resources into development. manufacturing and support than they put into their marketing.

I hope so.

On 1/16/2022 at 1:18 AM, kye said:

Have there been many new MFT sensors developed?

None that I know of that are for ILC cameras. A few for high-end video surveillance/industrial uses.

1 hour ago, tupp said:

Was Line Audio really forced to change the model name because of Olympus?

They won't say, but I did read somewhere (on a forum, probably) that they were pressured into doing it by a "big company" that threatened legal action.

It is a good mic; their wide-cardioid CM-4 is pretty legendary as well. They have relatively high noise floors compared with comparable mics from Sennheiser and Schoeps, but they are about 10 times cheaper.