M43 Trivia: What is the only M43 native lens, under 150g, capable of wider than 12mm, yet has AF and a wider aperture than f/2.8?

John Matthews

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 minutes ago, noone said:

Wouldn't the Oly 12mm f2 qualify IF you shoot RAW and turn off corrections?

It has been many years since I had it.

Technically the question was "wider than 12mm".  It sounds pedantic, but for me 12mm isn't wide enough for landscapes and architecture, and it's also not wide enough for comfortable vlogging either as you have to hold your arm out basically straight to get a neutral composition.

3 hours ago, kye said:

Technically the question was "wider than 12mm".  It sounds pedantic, but for me 12mm isn't wide enough for landscapes and architecture, and it's also not wide enough for comfortable vlogging either as you have to hold your arm out basically straight to get a neutral composition.

Yes but some M43 lenses are actually wider than marked and it is AFTER the distortion correction is applied that they become that focal length.

I do not know if the 12 f2 is one of those (maybe not since it is a bit older).     There is a chance it MIGHT be something like 11mm or 11.5 (You can not out pedant a pedant!).

5 hours ago, kye said:

Turns out the Oly 12 f2 IS wider than 12mm (if you can find a RAW convertor that does not correct for distortion).

What do i win?

https://www.lenstip.com/310.6-Lens_review-Olympus_M.Zuiko_Digital_12_mm_f_2.0_ED_Distortion.html

2 hours ago, noone said:

Turns out the Oly 12 f2 IS wider than 12mm (if you can find a RAW convertor that does not correct for distortion).

What do i win?

https://www.lenstip.com/310.6-Lens_review-Olympus_M.Zuiko_Digital_12_mm_f_2.0_ED_Distortion.html

Well, it's not my challenge, so I'm not the official adjudicator, but pretty sure that fame and glory is the reward...

12 hours ago, noone said:

Wouldn't the Oly 12mm f2 qualify IF you shoot RAW and turn off corrections?

This IS a good point. However, if you turn off the corrections on the Olympus 12mm, you could also do the same with the Panasonic 14mm with the wide-angle adapter. Both would show crazy distortions though (above 5%, horrendous for primes).

There's also a point to be made that people might be confusing: focal length is not field of view. For photography, the Olympus 8mm fisheye is the widest and brightest lens for M43, perhaps for all systems. Also, the field of view is much wider than other 8mm or 7.5mm lenses. You can use it for photography, no problem. For video, it's ok on a tripod or hand-held, but if you walk with it, the horizon bounces around. This lens doesn't count in that it's more than 300g.

Finally, you can always get wider results with these cameras: GH2, GH5s, and BMPCC 4k. Those cameras have wider sensors than all the typical M43 sensors when shooting video.

• Super Members

I'll call your having to use a RAW convertor bereft of distortion correction and raise you just putting it on an LS300.

You'll then have 10.56mm of wide angle goodness.

Obviously you lose the whole compact thing but I've never knowingly let practicalities be the enemy of pedantry 😉

15 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I used to have one of these adapters that Cokin made for their A series filters to enable you to use them with compact cameras that, obviously, don't have a filter thread.

cokin_a.thumb.jpg.de6ac87b69636805123f19e7ec2128d6.jpg

The smart thing about it as well is that the grid of openings allow you to account for different mounting positions and distances from the lens so you would be able to position it to be snug against the front of the WA adapter.

It holds three filters so is quite flexible and is made of plastic so weighs barely anything and folds flat for transport.

They are long since discontinued (and I'm fucked if I can remember where my one is now) but might be worth a scout on eBay if it suits your needs.

That looks great! When I had my RX100 (mark 1) in 2012, there were many solutions for it. I had chosen one that essentially glued on a filter thread and it worked well.

The solution I was planning in my head was to simply use some thin plastic ND sheets that I received with my Lomography kit lenses. I think the filter(s) will do the job. No, the aim isn't quality, here- just functionality.

The other solution is to use my 58mm ND with some gaffer's tape- job done!

One very cool thing about the DMC-GWC1 is that it's super easy to take off and put back on, as there's no screwing anything.

4 hours ago, kye said:

Looks like this approach might be catching on....

Thanks @kye. It looks like it's a 0.75x, making the 24mm on the ZV1 go to about an 18mm. I've tried a few of these over the years and this one looks much better than ones I've seen for smartphones that were complete garbage. At 294g for the camera and 133g for the WA adapter, it would be a decent setup for 427g, achieving 18mm FOV equivalent f/1.8 on a 1" sensor.  The only real problem I see is with the stabilization system on the ZV1, which isn't so great- you'd probably end up with about a 20-24mm FOV with decent stab in post. I have to say I like the tally light on the ZV1- that's cool!

4 hours ago, John Matthews said:

Thanks @kye. It looks like it's a 0.75x, making the 24mm on the ZV1 go to about an 18mm. I've tried a few of these over the years and this one looks much better than ones I've seen for smartphones that were complete garbage. At 294g for the camera and 133g for the WA adapter, it would be a decent setup for 427g, achieving 18mm FOV equivalent f/1.8 on a 1" sensor.  The only real problem I see is with the stabilization system on the ZV1, which isn't so great- you'd probably end up with about a 20-24mm FOV with decent stab in post. I have to say I like the tally light on the ZV1- that's cool!

One article says the EIS crop factor is 1.25, so I think that makes the widest a 22.5mm - wider than 24mm but really not by much.  Not really a good vlogging setup.

It's a tough one for compact vlogging if you want wider than 20mm and stabilised.  The X3000 action camera has gimbal-like OIS built-in but doesn't zoom or have crazy slow-motion, but on the other hand its fixed focus means no more AF debates - it's the only type of focus system that is actually reliable.

1 hour ago, kye said:

One article says the EIS crop factor is 1.25, so I think that makes the widest a 22.5mm - wider than 24mm but really not by much.  Not really a good vlogging setup.

It's a tough one for compact vlogging if you want wider than 20mm and stabilised.  The X3000 action camera has gimbal-like OIS built-in but doesn't zoom or have crazy slow-motion, but on the other hand its fixed focus means no more AF debates - it's the only type of focus system that is actually reliable.

At 22.5mm, it's not that much with just "OK" stabilization. If it were 22mm and great stabilization, it might be passable. Also, you could get it a little further away with a make-shit selfie stick.

The X3000 was great... everyone is waiting for the successor to no avail. I think it really doesn't offer that much over a phone with a wide-angle on it though. It would seem customers are putting in much more thought into this type of camera than all the manufacturers.