M43 Trivia: What is the only M43 native lens, under 150g, capable of wider than 12mm, yet has AF and a wider aperture than f/2.8?

John Matthews

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'm curious too.

I get there just over the 150g weight limit with the panasonic 14mm 2.5 with the Sony VCL-ECU1 on front.

That works out to around 10.5mm but the converter is 125g and lens is 55g, so 170g together. I'm also unsure if the converter knocks it down to below f/2.8, but I like using the combo.

1 minute ago, homestar_kevin said:

I'm curious too.

I get there just over the 150g weight limit with the panasonic 14mm 2.5 with the Sony VCL-ECU1 on front.

That works out to around 10.5mm but the converter is 125g and lens is 55g, so 170g together. I'm also unsure if the converter knocks it down to below f/2.8, but I like using the combo.

You're getting VERY close...

12 minutes ago, homestar_kevin said:

Are you using the panasonic branded DMC-GWC1 adapter?

I just googled and that's only 70g, so that'd be around 125g all in.

Bingo. You win @homestar_kevin! Congrats to bragging rights.

Indecently, how do you like your Sony VCL-ECU1? I checked out some videos on it, but most people just said they got it because the DMC-GWC1 wasn't for sale anymore.

I had been looking for a used one for roughly 4 years (off and on). I finally found one a few weeks ago and the guy wanted a direct transfer... (a bit risky) but I did it and he followed through. As I mentioned above, I cannot believe that we don't have a better solution as this set up dates back to 2012. I saw a few others available over the years, but they were just asking too much or they were too far away.

Here it is on my GM1 (as my Olympus E-P7 had to go into the shop for IBIS recalibration). The AF is working almost flawlessly on my E-M1 ii with tracking and face-detect on. I have to make a few more tests, but I like what I see. Also, as it was designed for this lens, everything is super easy to take on and off. I'm going to try adding some ND on it now, but it should be a challenge as there are no filter threads (nothings perfect).

398291135_2022-01-14_20-34-34_Fleurey-les-Faverney_France_E-M1MarkII_45mm_F5.6_ISO6400_DXO.thumb.jpg.340d986322aea61e61afb71be495d82c.jpg

2022-01-14_20-34-05_Fleurey-lès-Faverney_France_E-M1MarkII_45mm_F5.6_ISO6400_DXO.jpg

8 hours ago, tupp said:

allowing the use of a wide angle adapter is a trick question!

Maybe. The fact remains that there's no other solution at the moment. Also, let's remember that the DMC-GWC1 wasn't just ANY wide-angle converter, it's the one that Panasonic specifically designed for 2 lenses: the 14-42 PZ (at 14mm) and the 14mm f/2.5. I've heard of it working on others too (like my Olympus 14-42 EZ), but not officially. With the Panasonic 15mm f/1.7, it supposedly works, but it'll only get you to 12mm f/1.7... might at well get the Olympus 12mm f/2.0 and save weight.

If you were to tell me in 2012 that there would be no other solution to this in 2022, I would have called you crazy. Of course, M43 manufacturers would have found something in 10 years. Sadly, it doesn't look like it'll EVER happen.

10 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Looks nice

Show us some results 🙂

I plan on it. I was hoping to do more with the Olympus E-P7 (weighing in at 337g, 5-axis IBIS), as it's a fairly unique camera allowing for full-saturation control of 12 colors (like the Pen F), yet it shoots 4k (unlike the Pen F). Granted, you need to use the AEL button in order to have manual control with those color options, and only available in photo mode. Previous Olympus cameras have surprised me with how good IQ was (E-M1 ii, E-M10 iii, E-M10 iv, E-PL9, E-PL10). Anyway, I had to send it back for warranty-related issues regarding the IBIS (I was getting better results WITHOUT using it than WITH using it around 1/15s). I have to also say my interaction with OM Digital Solutions has been excellent. We'll see if it gets fixed later this month.

On 1/15/2022 at 12:00 AM, John Matthews said:

If you were to tell me in 2012 that there would be no other solution to this in 2022, I would have called you crazy.

Well, perhaps the 150g stipulation is a bit arbitrary (and rather low, considering that fast superwides require bigger, heaver glass, and need bigger heavier housings to hold that glass).  Remove the 150g stipulation, and solutions appear.

3 hours ago, tupp said:

Well, perhaps the 150g stipulation is a bit arbitrary (and rather low, considering that fast superwides require bigger, heaver glass, and need bigger heavier housings to hold that glass).  Remove the 150g stipulation, and solutions appear.

I'd be happy even with 200-250g. A 9-11mm f2 with AF (and much better IQ than the 14mm f/2.5 + adapter offers). I'm sure it'd sell enough as nothing our there currently exists.

On 1/14/2022 at 4:16 PM, John Matthews said:

Bingo. You win @homestar_kevin! Congrats to bragging rights.

Heyyy, Bragging rights sound great to me, I'll take em!

The panasonic adapter looks great! I like the sony a lot, it fits perfectly on the 14mm and is still a super small set up once put together (Smaller than the Panasonic 25mm 1.7) The Sony adapter is bigger and heavier than the 14mm, but they make a great combo. The biggest downer is no front filter threads on the sony. I'll dig up some pics with the combo soon, but they're great together and the sony can be had fairly cheap online.

47 minutes ago, homestar_kevin said:

Heyyy, Bragging rights sound great to me, I'll take em!

The panasonic adapter looks great! I like the sony a lot, it fits perfectly on the 14mm and is still a super small set up once put together (Smaller than the Panasonic 25mm 1.7) The Sony adapter is bigger and heavier than the 14mm, but they make a great combo. The biggest downer is no front filter threads on the sony. I'll dig up some pics with the combo soon, but they're great together and the sony can be had fairly cheap online.

Yes. no filter threads is the same situation on the Panasonic version... however, I have a couple of ideas for putting a nd-ish filter between the adapter and the lens itself. It would be loose inside there and should be enough to keep down the super high shutter speeds, but I'm not sure it'll be enough for 1/50th. Some say it doesn't even matter as you can add in post... not sure about that, but I'll try with my solution.

• Super Members

I used to have one of these adapters that Cokin made for their A series filters to enable you to use them with compact cameras that, obviously, don't have a filter thread.

cokin_a.thumb.jpg.de6ac87b69636805123f19e7ec2128d6.jpg

The smart thing about it as well is that the grid of openings allow you to account for different mounting positions and distances from the lens so you would be able to position it to be snug against the front of the WA adapter.

It holds three filters so is quite flexible and is made of plastic so weighs barely anything and folds flat for transport.

They are long since discontinued (and I'm fucked if I can remember where my one is now) but might be worth a scout on eBay if it suits your needs.