Canon EOS R5C

Andrew Reid

@gt3rs Thanks for all the info! I actually used the same black mamba cage for my R6, didn't realise it also fit the R5C.

However it can't be compatible with the battery grip, which kinda sucks. Battery grip = no cage.

I did find a shop that sells the grip for 300€ so cool there are better deals but still 600€ with 3 extra batteries. Of course the benefit for me is vertical control for vertical shooting which again I do a lot (especially stills).

But the grip only takes 2 batteries so that's a whole lot of swapping, charging etc. I honestly don't like this solution, too much room for (charge) error, too much swapping which could happen in the middle of an event, missing key moment.

So yeah the external batteries seem better suited for long events. The Nano does have USB charging which is cool but yeah mounting it above the cage feels a little obstructive. The Anton Bauer is a lot more elegant imo, and indeed that Kondor D-tap to USB-C adapter/cable looks like an interesting solution as it also frees up your R5Cs battery compartment so you have internal + external power. I agree the cable looks clumsy with that box in between. Also it is backordered (like a lot of products on their website) do you know if they restock often ?

Gotta admit this whole battery conundrum is making me lean more again towards R3. I'd just need one extra LP-E19 to last me the whole day.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 hours ago, Django said:

Gotta admit this whole battery conundrum is making me lean more again towards R3. I'd just need one extra LP-E19 to last me the whole day.

LP-E19 gives you two hours per battery which is the same as the battery grip option. The cost of an LP-E19 is $169US. Two LPE6NH cost $150US. Sure you need to buy the grip but once you do, I don't know that there's really that much of a difference tbh. But hey maybe I'm missing something? 

2 hours ago, Ty Harper said:

LP-E19 gives you two hours per battery which is the same as the battery grip option. The cost of an LP-E19 is $169US. Two LPE6NH cost $150US. Sure you need to buy the grip but once you do, I don't know that there's really that much of a difference tbh. But hey maybe I'm missing something? 

Here in EU, LPE19 is 169€ and 2xLPE6NH is 190€. R3 comes with a dual charger and I'd rather charge 2 batteries than 4.

R3 is lighter than R5C + grip, has IBIS.. and overall more solid/pro feel. Here's a video from a dude that switched from R5C to R3 and I'm inclined to agree with most of his points although in the end its kind of a toss up:

On 1/19/2023 at 10:45 AM, Django said:

Ok back to R5C. Taking a closer look at it and it does have a lot going on for it, including various crop modes, various RAW compressions, XF-AVC, 8K/5.9K/3K, anamorphic de squeeze, LUT support, focus assist etc. And active cooling (bye-bye overheat for good). I mean its basically like a high resolution C70 without NDs plus a 45MP camera. For 3500€. 

It's almost a no brainer on paper but I keep hearing about the dreadful battery life. I just have to wonder how bad is it? If the camera keeps dying on me this sounds like overheat caveat all over again. How many batteries do I need for a 4 to 5 hour shoot ? what portable USB-C external power works for it ?

Losing IBIS is going to suck but for handheld shoots I guess I could go for the IS RF STM lenses  (24mm, 35mm, 85mm) plus DIS.

Basically if I can sort out battery life and stabilisation, R5C could be the top contender.

Yeah I can't wait until R5ii and also Canon Europe will sell it with a premium just like R6ii which basically means 5K.

R6ii is 2900€ here which is equally ridiculous considering I can get an R5 now for 3000€ and an R5C for 3500€.

I'm trying to get best bang for buck which means not the latest Canon release.

Your previous camera was an R6, you don't need 8K60, but a frankenrigged R5C is still attractive to you? Sure the R5C has some cool features, but you didn't have them before in the R6 and you are losing IBIS which IMO is more important than most of those video assist features combined. Just my opinion, but if you were able to deal with the R6's overheating, and its limited tools then the most natural replacement would be the R5; which overheats less than the R6, has more video options, higher resolution, and a normal battery grip that will power all video modes. 

Sure the R5C has more video options, and will definitely handle heat better, but no IBIS and major battery limitations sounds like a poor upgrade path from an R6 especially since you don't need one of its main features over the R5; 8K60P. Non line skipped 4K60 sounds pretty good too, but in real world shooting it truly is not perceptible. 

IMO there's other downsides as well to the R5C; long reboot time, fan that draws in dust/dirt, somewhat clunky form factor which could make shooting photos a bit ergonomically unpleasant, and the same DR as the R5.  I think you also lose the stickiness of the autofocus from the R5 when you reboot into the Cinema OS. The C70's AF is still far behind the R5's, I would imagine the R5C's AF isn't as good as the R5'ss as well but not sure about that one.

The video tools sound pretty cool and all, but I have them all in the C70 and barely use them, I just use the WFM in the C70 for exposing. Internal NDs and XLR audio is what makes the loss of IBIS bearable for me with the C70. For the R5 and R7 I just use the histogram kind of like a WFM. I'm guessing though that the R5C's video assist tools don't all disappear from the screen once you hit record especially the electronic level (personal pet peeve of mine); assuming of course that the R5C even has an electronic level when in video mode which is another major thing missing from the C70.

I think you are hung up on the line skipped 4K60FPS as well; here are two sample videos that I found that had a decent variety of footage out of the R5 shot at 4K60FPS and/or 4K/120FPS both of which are line skipped. The first video is a little annoying; obviously 4K60 and 4K120 look identical until you slow them down, but he does have a decent variety of detailed footage that shows the R5 shooting something other than a test chart at 4K60FPS.

@herein2020 I absolutely value your input, many thanks, but it ain't that simple. I've been shooting Canon since 5D mark1 and have had numerous bodies since, including cinema line (C100/C200/C300). I'm not just upgrading blindly from an R6. So I do really value the cine OS features such as focus/exposure tools, LUT support, XF-AVC, RAW Light, anamorphic de squeeze, unlimited recording, TC, smart hot-shoe etc. Those are the video features I'm missing. R6 was just a stop gap because I refused to spend 4.5K at the time for an overheating R5. C70 ticks a lot of boxes but no IBIS, S35, no high resolution, no stills and high price tag. 

In view of that, R5C is a mix of C70 & R5. The cine features, the fan, FF & 45MP. Downside is no IBIS, no NDs & battery life. The smart-shoe allows for the Tascam XLR unit so that's also a big plus. R5C also has dual iso so although the same sensor, better usage. And 4K60p isn't line-skipped.

R5 gives you back IBIS and ok battery life. Still need a grip. No smart-shoe. Potential overheating. It sort of feels dated and not really much of an upgrade from my R6 aside from 8K.

Then you have R3. up to 6K60p. No overheat. Pro body. IBIS. Stacked sensor. Best battery life. Killer stills specs.

It isn't an easy decision, there is no clear cut winner in everything. And I really just want one body that'll do it best.

6 hours ago, Django said:

@herein2020 I absolutely value your input, many thanks, but it ain't that simple. I've been shooting Canon since 5D mark1 and have had numerous bodies since, including cinema line (C100/C200/C300). I'm not just upgrading blindly from an R6. So I do really value the cine OS features such as focus/exposure tools, LUT support, XF-AVC, RAW Light, anamorphic de squeeze, unlimited recording, TC, smart hot-shoe etc. Those are the video features I'm missing. R6 was just a stop gap because I refused to spend 4.5K at the time for an overheating R5. C70 ticks a lot of boxes but no IBIS, S35, no high resolution, no stills and high price tag. 

In view of that, R5C is a mix of C70 & R5. The cine features, the fan, FF & 45MP. Downside is no IBIS, no NDs & battery life. The smart-shoe allows for the Tascam XLR unit so that's also a big plus. R5C also has dual iso so although the same sensor, better usage. And 4K60p isn't line-skipped.

R5 gives you back IBIS and ok battery life. Still need a grip. No smart-shoe. Potential overheating. It sort of feels dated and not really much of an upgrade from my R6 aside from 8K.

Then you have R3. up to 6K60p. No overheat. Pro body. IBIS. Stacked sensor. Best battery life. Killer stills specs.

It isn't an easy decision, there is no clear cut winner in everything. And I really just want one body that'll do it best.

Its not easy being a Canon owner; as always with Canon you really need to pick your compromise 😄. There is one small detail though; the R5 is also dual ISO, its just rarely talked about. It's native ISOs are 800 and 3200. I did forget one big downside to the R5 which is that ridiculous 30min recording limit is still there. No idea what Canon is thinking leaving that in place.

It is definitely a tough decision, I think when it comes to the R3 two more downsides would be the battery and the fixed grip. The battery because only other bodies that size use that battery so if you got a second body it would most likely be the smaller batteries. I really like being able to swap batteries between my R5 and R7. In fact, you probably already have some batteries left over from the R6 that you could use in the R5 and R5C.

The other downside is the fixed grip. I know you would probably never take the grip off of the R5 if you got it but I personally have never used a camera with a grip on gimbal. I would imagine balancing a camera with a grip would be a PITA on a gimbal. With the R5C and no IBIS I would assume you would start using a gimbal more often. So it would be nice to at least have the option to take the grip off for gimbal work.

Of course we could go full circle to the S5II, but there's the lens situation which locks you into L Mount or EF with an adapter.

No matter how you look at it though, its great to have these kinds of choices, will be interested to see what you pick.

@herein2020 some interesting points re' the R3 vs R5. I am very close to squeezing the trigger on the R5 and calling it a day when it comes to thinking about cam bodies in the forseeable future. One point you sort of touch on that I agree with is the ability to build up and strip down the R5/R5C vs the R3 - especially coming from a 1DC. I also think a pro/con of the R5C specifically is how many options it gives you when it comes to the needs of a video shooter. From the codecs and monitoring options to the resolutions and the crops. Basically, if you want to just hit record and shoot, maybe the R5C is not for you - but if you're ok with having options AND remembering to adjust those options depending on your needs for any given shoot, then the R5C is great imo - but - would've been perfect if it had some power saving options (even if those options disabled certain functions).

15 hours ago, Ty Harper said:

@Django just came across this on an R5C group on FB. Pretty lean imo. 

Smallrig holder: https://amzn.to/3GPlhGY

Power Bank: https://amzn.to/3iU0Aln

image.thumb.png.4f3a0e49b678d1b9480df335128dd72d.png

Is by far the cheapest solution but you lose the tripod mount, you can of course mount on top of the cage freeing it up the tripod.

I looked at this solution but it looks more fragile than vmount

You can even hot swap the power bank as you need to have the lp6e battery…

4 hours ago, herein2020 said:

Its not easy being a Canon owner; as always with Canon you really need to pick your compromise 😄. There is one small detail though; the R5 is also dual ISO, its just rarely talked about. It's native ISOs are 800 and 3200. I did forget one big downside to the R5 which is that ridiculous 30min recording limit is still there. No idea what Canon is thinking leaving that in place.

Yeah I just looked into it and indeed R5 is also dual ISO but just not officially. On R5C there is a base ISO mode (kinda similar to Sony's EI mode) that locks you to ISO 800/3200 only. Kinda cool. As for the 30mn time limit, yeah that annoying. Canon removed it on R3/R5C/R7/R6ii. Don't forget R5/R6 are just second generation Canon mirrorless. It usually takes that third gen for such quirks to be ironed out. Same with Sony A7S series.

It is definitely a tough decision, I think when it comes to the R3 two more downsides would be the battery and the fixed grip. The battery because only other bodies that size use that battery so if you got a second body it would most likely be the smaller batteries. I really like being able to swap batteries between my R5 and R7. In fact, you probably already have some batteries left over from the R6 that you could use in the R5 and R5C.

I do have leftover R6 batteries (just realised it yesterday when going through camera bag)! But I disagree that the R3 battery is a downside. The LP-E19's hold double the capacity so that means less swapping and less charging which is clutch. I'll take that over multi body battery interchangeability. 

The other downside is the fixed grip. I know you would probably never take the grip off of the R5 if you got it but I personally have never used a camera with a grip on gimbal. I would imagine balancing a camera with a grip would be a PITA on a gimbal. With the R5C and no IBIS I would assume you would start using a gimbal more often. So it would be nice to at least have the option to take the grip off for gimbal work.

In the R3 video I posted above, the guy uses a gimbal just fine it seems. Keep in mind the R3 body is mega light despite its size. an R3 is lighter than a R5 + grip! That said I'm sure not any gimbal works with an R3. 

Of course we could go full circle to the S5II, but there's the lens situation which locks you into L Mount or EF with an adapter.

No matter how you look at it though, its great to have these kinds of choices, will be interested to see what you pick.

Yeah the S5II does give you a whole lot for very money. Even has open-gate. But I saw some latest tests and the AF is still a work in progress, you can tell its first-gen PDAF. And yeah whole other lens ecosystem. Also been reading stuff here about Vlog being hard to grade and overall CS issues. This is where Canon really shines imo, you can throw anything at Clog and it always comes out good.

2 hours ago, Ty Harper said:

I also think a pro/con of the R5C specifically is how many options it gives you when it comes to the needs of a video shooter. From the codecs and monitoring options to the resolutions and the crops. Basically, if you want to just hit record and shoot, maybe the R5C is not for you - but if you're ok with having options AND remembering to adjust those options depending on your needs for any given shoot, then the R5C is great imo

To me this is a big pro for R5C. But I'm used to cine cams. I want all those options. You can have the ones you use the most inside My Menu. You can assign buttons for Q&S. Shutter angle alone is fantastic, set it to 180 degree and you no longer have to fiddle with shutter speeds when changing frame rates. Punch-in while recording to check critical focus. WFM, false color etc. On R5/R6/R3 all you have is that histogram that disappears once you hit record. Its a joke for serious work or complex scenes so you have to use an external monitor which adds weight and clunkiness. All of a sudden R5C with an external battery doesn't sound so bad! YMMV of course, as we see above depending on our requirements and user cases a pro can be a con and vice versa. It is interesting to hear how others shoot and view such things though!

On 1/21/2023 at 10:56 AM, Ty Harper said:

@herein2020 some interesting points re' the R3 vs R5. I am very close to squeezing the trigger on the R5 and calling it a day when it comes to thinking about cam bodies in the forseeable future. 

I think the biggest downside for the R5 is the overheating issues. I know FW 1.6 is supposed to be the final answer, and I may put that to the test this summer, but either the overheating fiasco was 100% Canon manufactured (I still think this is a bit unlikely given the horrible press), or the R5 really doesn't handle heat that well and Canon released FW that would let users push it closer to premature failure. 

With Sony eating their lunch, it is still hard for me to believe the overheating problems were part of Canon's cripple hammer strategy; restricting/removing features sure, 30min time limit sure, no video tools sure....but overheating?  I think the truth is the marketing department heavily advertised 8K, the engineers only built it to properly handle the heat from far less, and they set the original timer to maximize the reliability and lifespan of the camera. Enter the horrendous press coverage and outraged users and the marketing department told the engineers to fix it at all costs; even if the camera would be less reliable and even if it would shorten their lifespan.

Keep in mind the R5 was Canon's first real mirrorless pro focused camera, so it makes sense they would get a few things wrong. This is also the main reason why I pretty much stick to photography with the R5 or shoot video in the winter; I just don't trust the R5 with the heat. If I lived in a cooler climate I would be a bit less risk adverse. I do think the R5II will hit it out of the park, but who knows when that will be released and actually able to be purchased.

With all of that said, I think if you mainly use the R5 for photography and only shoot a few video clips here and there then the R5 is fine. If you truly do need more long form video or primarily video then the R7, R6II (maybe), R5C, or C70 would be a better option. I skipped the R6 completely because it is worse at overheating than the R5 and I said maybe for the R6II because I don't think it has proven itself on actual shoots that it does not overheat. I never mention the R3 simply because I think most of its price comes from its fast readout and you get more for your money with other models if you don't shoot sports/fast action.

Of course, my list is strictly based on my opinion that the overheating problems in the R5 aren't really fixed; if you believe they truly were fixed with FW 1.6 and that the R5 can shoot video for everything you throw at it without overheating or shortening its lifespan then my list would be: R7, R5, R6II (maybe), R5C, C70 (arranged in order of hybrid capabilities vs video focused with the R7 being the most hybrid focused and with the best mix of both worlds and the C70 being 100% video focused). 

On 1/21/2023 at 1:12 PM, Django said:

As for the 30mn time limit, yeah that annoying. Canon removed it on R3/R5C/R7/R6ii. Don't forget R5/R6 are just second generation Canon mirrorless. It usually takes that third gen for such quirks to be ironed out. Same with Sony A7S series.

What irks me the most about the 30min limit is it's just a FW setting and something they could easily remove; it's not like it needs a HW update to remove it. I think it's still there because Canon still doesn't want users running video long enough to risk overheating. Nothing else makes sense when the R7 and R6II both cost less than the R5 but have no limit (but better heat management).

Also been reading stuff here about Vlog being hard to grade and overall CS issues. 

I loved VLOG out of the S5 and I was grading it within seconds in Davinci Resolve. Now though I am hooked on DR's managed color and I don't see a VLOG managed color option so that would be a step backwards, but I definitely didn't think it was hard to grade and I am far from a colorist. Not sure about CS, the XLR module stopped working with my S5 and it took them 2wks to fix it (towards the end of COVID restrictions) but it did get fixed; not sure if Canon would have been better. Of course I am just one user; overall it would surprise me if Canon didn't have better CS.

To me this is a big pro for R5C. But I'm used to cine cams. I want all those options. You can have the ones you use the most inside My Menu. You can assign buttons for Q&S. Shutter angle alone is fantastic, set it to 180 degree and you no longer have to fiddle with shutter speeds when changing frame rates. Punch-in while recording to check critical focus. WFM, false color etc. On R5/R6/R3 all you have is that histogram that disappears once you hit record. Its a joke for serious work or complex scenes so you have to use an external monitor which adds weight and clunkiness. All of a sudden R5C with an external battery doesn't sound so bad! YMMV of course, as we see above depending on our requirements and user cases a pro can be a con and vice versa. It is interesting to hear how others shoot and view such things though!

It sounds to me like you've already talked yourself into the R5C 🤣. Nothing else short of the C70 will give you all of those tools in that form factor and obviously the C70 has its own long list of downsides.  I think its going to come down to how important is IBIS to you and are you ok dealing with the external battery pack. Keep in mind too that the R5C is lighter than the C70 so handholding it without IBIS would be even harder unless you just plan on using a gimbal a lot more. 

I did get better with handholding thanks to the C70 but still far from Hollywood quality and Davinci Resolve's post stabilization was a lifesaver at times; then I got the R7 and all was well again. With the R5 and R7 they are so stable that I deliberately add some camera shake at times just to look more dynamic.

One thing that does counter the missing IBIS is lens IS so lens IS combined with digital IS on the C70 made life a bit more tolerable; thats if you have lenses with lens IS. I would imagine that the R5C with lens IS and possibly some digital IS would make it more tolerable along with a cage and handles. I thought this video was pretty good at looking at R5C handheld stability and his handheld rig is similar to mine with the C70 except I use a V-mount battery and a left side handle. 

1 hour ago, herein2020 said:

It sounds to me like you've already talked yourself into the R5C 🤣. Nothing else short of the C70 will give you all of those tools in that form factor and obviously the C70 has its own long list of downsides.  I think its going to come down to how important is IBIS to you and are you ok dealing with the external battery pack. Keep in mind too that the R5C is lighter than the C70 so handholding it without IBIS would be even harder unless you just plan on using a gimbal a lot more. 

No I haven't talked myself into anything yet, still weighing options. My first choice still remains R3 as it ticks off IBIS, battery life, overheat, best AF, vertical grip, 6K RAW compressed and 4K60p oversampled.. only a bit more expensive than a rigged out R5C and a much more elegant solution imo. No more cine features but for critical condition shoots, my atomos could always help handle things. 

R5C comes in second but no IBIS and poor battery life is a major PITA. So I'd end up rigging R5C, either battery grip + cage or external battery + cage. Add a top handle and a side grip or shoulder kit like in the video you linked and you've got a decent weight/balance rig. Still not IBIS level plus you are no longer that versatile for hybrid video/stills shooting.

One thing that does counter the missing IBIS is lens IS so lens IS combined with digital IS on the C70 made life a bit more tolerable; thats if you have lenses with lens IS. I would imagine that the R5C with lens IS and possibly some digital IS would make it more tolerable along with a cage and handles.

Yeah lens IS + EIS is always an option but it severely limits my lens use and adds that small crop. Its a workaround but not the most flexible solution. I've gotten so used to shooting FF no crop everything handheld on my R6, that going back to that feels so limiting. I really like shooting handheld on my mirrorless hybrids. And with all kinds of lenses including EF primes with no IS.

FWIW I've been shooting Paris FW events this whole week on my FS7, BMD cams and multiple EOS bodies for stills shooting. Tripods, shoulder rigs, gimbals etc. Honestly such a PITA dealing with all that gear on a crazy hectic schedule. Sucks the fun right out of it. I feel like either a R3/R5/R5C plus a monopod could have almost been enough for the job (not including R6ii/R7 as some parts of the job required RAW).

I loved VLOG out of the S5 and I was grading it within seconds in Davinci Resolve. Now though I am hooked on DR's managed color and I don't see a VLOG managed color option so that would be a step backwards, but I definitely didn't think it was hard to grade and I am far from a colorist. Not sure about CS, the XLR module stopped working with my S5 and it took them 2wks to fix it (towards the end of COVID restrictions) but it did get fixed; not sure if Canon would have been better. Of course I am just one user; overall it would surprise me if Canon didn't have better CS.

I have no idea but keep reading about grading issues such as in this thread here:

https://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/70778-how-are-you-converting-v-log-to-normal-colour/

Also if I was even considering switching over to Panny it would definitely be the S5iiX I'd want and that's not out until May.

The other alternative is Sony since I'm also invested in that lens ecosystem but the only options are FX3 which has no EVF so no good for my style of shooting and A7S3. 12MP stills, 4K max resolution and no internal RAW are too severe compromises though. Crazy because Sony is number one in the industry yet so behind tech wise in the mirrorless world..

1 hour ago, Django said:

No I haven't talked myself into anything yet, still weighing options. My first choice still remains R3 as it ticks off IBIS, battery life, overheat, best AF, vertical grip, 6K RAW compressed and 4K60p oversampled.. only a bit more expensive than a rigged out R5C and a much more elegant solution imo. No more cine features but for critical condition shoots, my atomos could always help handle things. 

R5C comes in second but no IBIS and poor battery life is a major PITA. So I'd end up rigging R5C, either battery grip + cage or external battery + cage. Add a top handle and a side grip or shoulder kit like in the video you linked and you've got a decent weight/balance rig. Still not IBIS level plus you are no longer that versatile for hybrid video/stills shooting.

Yeah lens IS + EIS is always an option but it severely limits my lens use and adds that small crop. Its a workaround but not the most flexible solution. I've gotten so used to shooting FF no crop everything handheld on my R6, that going back to that feels so limiting. I really like shooting handheld on my mirrorless hybrids. And with all kinds of lenses including EF primes with no IS.

FWIW I've been shooting Paris FW events this whole week on my FS7, BMD cams and multiple EOS bodies for stills shooting. Tripods, shoulder rigs, gimbals etc. Honestly such a PITA dealing with all that gear on a crazy hectic schedule. Sucks the fun right out of it. I feel like either a R3/R5/R5C plus a monopod could have almost been enough for the job (not including R6ii/R7 as some parts of the job required RAW).

I have no idea but keep reading about grading issues such as in this thread here:

https://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/70778-how-are-you-converting-v-log-to-normal-colour/

Also if I was even considering switching over to Panny it would definitely be the S5iiX I'd want and that's not out until May.

The other alternative is Sony since I'm also invested in that lens ecosystem but the only options are FX3 which has no EVF so no good for my style of shooting and A7S3. 12MP stills, 4K max resolution and no internal RAW are too severe compromises though. Crazy because Sony is number one in the industry yet so behind tech wise in the mirrorless world..

Holy **&t you are shooting Paris FW? Now I am seriously jealous, I shoot all of the big fashion shows here in FL with the biggest being Miami SW. I was invited to NYFW and Paris FW, but no one was willing to pay for my travel. For fashion shows I've got my kit down to a single Lowepro bag and a tripod....I shot Miami SW with the C70 and R5. This year I plan on trying just the C70 and R7.  In the bag I've got my mini XLR shotgun mic, Sennheiser wireless transmitter/receiver + lav mic, side handle for the C70, C70 in a cage, and R5 is just rigged with a shoulder strap for photography. I was able to shoot all of Miami SW, interviews, vendors, models, promo videos, etc. with just that setup.

As far as color grading VLOG goes, I think anything can seem like anything if you pixel peep, if you just get out and shoot and grade until the footage looks good to you and your customer that's all that really matters. When looked at from that viewpoint, VLOG was no worse for me than CLOG.

This year I plan on trying the R7 to see if I can add a bit of walking as well without a gimbal and to be able to switch between the R7 and C70 for video. The R7 will take over for handheld video and photography, C70 for interviews and the runway walks. I tried the monopod thing and couldn't make it work, monopods feel so limiting and still not as stable as a tripod or as dynamic as handheld, even without IBIS I would rather handheld over a monopod.

It does sound like the R3 checks a lot of boxes for you as well, you definitely cannot go from a fully rigged R5C to photography very easily. I don't get why the R5C is so bad on battery life; it doesn't have to power IBIS and its the same sensor as the R5. You could set it up like I did with the C70, where it slides easily into a nato rail V-mount battery setup for long form and slides off into a handheld setup for shorter shoots and gimbal work. That is also how my R7 is setup.

Below is a picture of my setup. The S5 is in the picture but the C70 and R7 both slide right into the same top tripod mount. I use the bottom tripod plate to mount the whole thing to a tripod. For fashion shows I setup the tripod and nato/v-mount (and to hold my spot in the pit), then slide off the camera and go shoot b-roll until the show starts. Of course you still would have that IBIS problem with the R5C and the slower AF......so there's no way around that if you go with the R5C

S5-Setup4.thumb.jpg.da75f63116d987a2bdf8a17823193728.jpg

6 hours ago, herein2020 said:

I think the biggest downside for the R5 is the overheating issues. I know FW 1.6 is supposed to be the final answer, and I may put that to the test this summer, but either the overheating fiasco was 100% Canon manufactured (I still think this is a bit unlikely given the horrible press), or the R5 really doesn't handle heat that well and Canon released FW that would let users push it closer to premature failure. 

With Sony eating their lunch, it is still hard for me to believe the overheating problems were part of Canon's cripple hammer strategy; restricting/removing features sure, 30min time limit sure, no video tools sure....but overheating?  I think the truth is the marketing department heavily advertised 8K, the engineers only built it to properly handle the heat from far less, and they set the original timer to maximize the reliability and lifespan of the camera. Enter the horrendous press coverage and outraged users and the marketing department told the engineers to fix it at all costs; even if the camera would be less reliable and even if it would shorten their lifespan.

Keep in mind the R5 was Canon's first real mirrorless pro focused camera, so it makes sense they would get a few things wrong. This is also the main reason why I pretty much stick to photography with the R5 or shoot video in the winter; I just don't trust the R5 with the heat. If I lived in a cooler climate I would be a bit less risk adverse. I do think the R5II will hit it out of the park, but who knows when that will be released and actually able to be purchased.

With all of that said, I think if you mainly use the R5 for photography and only shoot a few video clips here and there then the R5 is fine. If you truly do need more long form video or primarily video then the R7, R6II (maybe), R5C, or C70 would be a better option. I skipped the R6 completely because it is worse at overheating than the R5 and I said maybe for the R6II because I don't think it has proven itself on actual shoots that it does not overheat. I never mention the R3 simply because I think most of its price comes from its fast readout and you get more for your money with other models if you don't shoot sports/fast action.

Of course, my list is strictly based on my opinion that the overheating problems in the R5 aren't really fixed; if you believe they truly were fixed with FW 1.6 and that the R5 can shoot video for everything you throw at it without overheating or shortening its lifespan then my list would be: R7, R5, R6II (maybe), R5C, C70 (arranged in order of hybrid capabilities vs video focused with the R7 being the most hybrid focused and with the best mix of both worlds and the C70 being 100% video focused). 

What irks me the most about the 30min limit is it's just a FW setting and something they could easily remove; it's not like it needs a HW update to remove it. I think it's still there because Canon still doesn't want users running video long enough to risk overheating. Nothing else makes sense when the R7 and R6II both cost less than the R5 but have no limit (but better heat management).

I did get better with handholding thanks to the C70 but still far from Hollywood quality and Davinci Resolve's post stabilization was a lifesaver at times; then I got the R7 and all was well again. With the R5 and R7 they are so stable that I deliberately add some camera shake at times just to look more dynamic.

One thing that does counter the missing IBIS is lens IS so lens IS combined with digital IS on the C70 made life a bit more tolerable; thats if you have lenses with lens IS. I would imagine that the R5C with lens IS and possibly some digital IS would make it more tolerable along with a cage and handles. I thought this video was pretty good at looking at R5C handheld stability and his handheld rig is similar to mine with the C70 except I use a V-mount battery and a left side handle. 

Firmware 1.6 solved the overheating issue for good on the R5.  The only thing it needs is the removal of that pesky record limit and a dynamic range boost in its none raw mode formats like the R5C.  I think this will come with the R5mk2.

7 hours ago, herein2020 said:

. Of course you still would have that IBIS problem with the R5C and the slower AF......so there's no way around that if you go with the R5C

R5c does NOT have a slower AF vs R5. If you set both for maximum speed and reaction they are both the same speed tested with the same lens (70-200 and 100-500) going from infinity, mfd, middle back and forth  on the same subjects with the same light.
R5 is quite faster in AF while NOT recording as it seems to use the photo and not video AF but as soon as you are recording they are basically the same. As I have both I feel the R5c AF more sticky than the R5 in video.
R5c AF has less options so you don't have animal, cars AF and the AF "zones" are more limited but you gain face only (I believe R3 and R7 now has that too but R5 not). The biggest drawback imo is that in 4k 100/120 there is no face AF. I hope they will add in a firmware update as the C70 just got it, but in contrast you can record audio at 4k 100/120 and it has a bit better quality on the R5c so I end up using more the R5c for 4k 120 than the R5.

1 hour ago, gt3rs said:

R5c does NOT have a slower AF vs R5. If you set both for maximum speed and reaction they are both the same speed tested with the same lens (70-200 and 100-500) going from infinity, mfd, middle back and forth  on the same subjects with the same light.
R5 is quite faster in AF while NOT recording as it seems to use the photo and not video AF but as soon as you are recording they are basically the same. As I have both I feel the R5c AF more sticky than the R5 in video.
R5c AF has less options so you don't have animal, cars AF and the AF "zones" are more limited but you gain face only (I believe R3 and R7 now has that too but R5 not). The biggest drawback imo is that in 4k 100/120 there is no face AF. I hope they will add in a firmware update as the C70 just got it, but in contrast you can record audio at 4k 100/120 and it has a bit better quality on the R5c so I end up using more the R5c for 4k 120 than the R5.

Just sticked in my R5C bookmarks ; )

That's the type of useful content we invariably need it along these boards :- )