Canon EOS R5C

Andrew Reid

17 minutes ago, gt3rs said:

R5c 8K RAW 1/50 ISO 16'000 (yes not a typo ISO 16k) 400mm 2.8, AF tracking, on a bean bag, it was basically night and my driver did not believe I could film in that light. The beginning is out of focus until I could select the young leopard face, at 0.19 is when the camera loses him. 

Well, you didn't lose it, just readjust the AF... ; )

Other than the bean bag, what else you used to stabilize it?

OIS?

What lens? The expensive Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II USM?

EIS too, I guess?

What frame rate acquisition?

Impressive result... : ) If this works in a jungle, imagine now for street photography!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Emanuel said:

Well, you didn't lose it, just readjust the AF... ; )

Other than the bean bag, what else you used to stabilize it?

OIS?

What lens? The expensive Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II USM?

EIS too, I guess?

What frame rate acquisition?

Impressive result... : ) If this works in a jungle, imagine now for street photography!

25 fps, only lens IS, lens Canon RF 400 2.8 IS (rented). I don't use EIS as I'm RAW only other than when I need 120fps that I need to use 10bit log. 

On long lenses 70-200, 100-500 and 400 in my experience IS works better than IS+IBIS, and as you cannot turn off IBIS and keep IS on the R5 I always use the R5c for long lens work especially handled. 

33 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

Lovely use : ) OIS too, I guess? And no bean bag this time :- )

OIS is always on and it helps on the gimbal with the mini vibration of the jeep

One more with a more complex movement with the jeep this one with pre-focusd and then AF locked, 8K 50 RAW 1/100 slow down  2x, gimbal 70-200 

1 hour ago, gt3rs said:

OIS is always on and it helps on the gimbal with the mini vibration of the jeep

One more with a more complex movement with the jeep this one with pre-focusd and then AF locked, 8K 50 RAW 1/100 slow down  2x, gimbal 70-200 

WOW What a short film, pal, this is much more than a clip... Come to my mind Artavazd Peleshyan, one of the greatest... Thanks for sharing, very worthy, this couple acted for you, both, WTH of a performance : ) One of the most beautiful things of the kind I've seen, such a thrill, pure cinema, simple but a true Epiphany made by pictures, the movement is absolutely competent, asked for... this is a cameraman! Not easy task at all... Framing brought to you some challenges you had to decide atm without losing the hand and before you could lose the shot, hats off!

EAG :- )

12 minutes ago, Davide DB said:

@gt3rs did you clean those clips? 

All reviews said that RAW is very noisy but you clips seems perfect.

This clip is very noisy with several artefact on blue and black

Maybe compression or your display? I don't see anything wrong on mine even @ 1080p resolution other than the beauty of the footage, well shot and a bit pleasant grainy : )

What exactly have you found? Can you post some grabs as samples about what bothers you actually?

1 hour ago, Emanuel said:

Maybe compression or your display? I don't see anything wrong on mine even @ 1080p resolution other than the beauty of the footage, well shot and a bit pleasant grainy : )

What exactly have you found? Can you post some grabs as samples about what bothers you actually?

I'm viewing it at 4K on a 4k display. Clip @14" doesn't have a "pleasant grain" and even at 1'. That's noise.

Tropical water in 10 ft of water means low ISO, high fstop and maybe a ND filter.

This clip too has noise on the blue i.e. @57"

13 minutes ago, Davide DB said:

I'm viewing it at 4K on a 4k display. Clip @14" doesn't have a "pleasant grain" and even at 1'. That's noise.

Tropical water in 10 ft of water means low ISO, high fstop and maybe a ND filter.

This clip too has noise on the blue i.e. @57"

On 00:14 I don't notice anything but on the rest, yes, you're right although that looks like to me the introduction of compression artifacts, not necessarily coming from the native files : ) You're watching processed pictures, not the original acquisition. Anything adultered is nothing about the ones SOOC.

You can only have an accurate idea when you face that stuff the camera directly produced, shot by the device without any further processing or you can fairly infer that's noise introduced later on.

19 hours ago, Davide DB said:

@gt3rs did you clean those clips? 

All reviews said that RAW is very noisy but you clips seems perfect.

Only the leopard at iso 16'000 has NR applied, mostly chroma noise reduction. All the others have zero NR applied. 

RAW is more noisy and rightly so as most camera apply NR to 10bit Log, RAW should have none (I think a bit is there anyway but not sure). Imo this is great as you can fine tune the NR that you need, you can even go fancy and apply NR to only specific area or color range. 
If you open a R5 RAW picture in LR you will see that by default it apply color noise reduction, so some NR on RAW is needed even for photos. Although imo a well exposed ISO 800 (base iso) RAW video does not need any NR.

Not knowing the settings and what was done in post out of the RAW of the video that you posted is impossible to judge imo.

In general I find it better to expose to the right with Canon RAW and lower the black in post than raising the shadow.    

• 3 weeks later...