Canon EOS R5C

Andrew Reid

I have one button to cycle through the AF frame, one to enable / disable face tracking, one to pause AF while pressing, and one as suggested above to toggle AF on/off.

One thing that I find super useful is peaking with AF..... on the R5 peaking does not work while in AF but on the R5c it works and I find a realy life saver as even is super bright sun or strange angle on the LCD I can always monitor if the AF is spot on or not. 

Cheetah hunting R5c 8k 50, 1/100, F2.8 400mm with AF603166390_CheetahS_1.1.4-4K.thumb.jpg.6a4c2ff086291ca48645cf4cc14b9a43.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators
3 hours ago, gt3rs said:

I have one button to cycle through the AF frame, one to enable / disable face tracking, one to pause AF while pressing, and one as suggested above to toggle AF on/off.

One thing that I find super useful is peaking with AF..... on the R5 peaking does not work while in AF but on the R5c it works and I find a realy life saver as even is super bright sun or strange angle on the LCD I can always monitor if the AF is spot on or not. 

Cheetah hunting R5c 8k 50, 1/100, F2.8 400mm with AF603166390_CheetahS_1.1.4-4K.thumb.jpg.6a4c2ff086291ca48645cf4cc14b9a43.jpg

That is incredibly soft.

• 1 month later...

Hi all

I am also think of this camera as an upgrade after many years with 5Dmk2, I know it's a dicade 

I love having both world photo and video at this high end spec and camera as I need it for my photography and some serious video as I already have c100

my concern is the body weatherproof as r5 and can be used in dusty weather as our home here in middeleast is dusty and I prefer to shot outdoor photography 

appreciate your experience with this camera

On 10/10/2022 at 1:44 PM, gt3rs said:

R5 and R5c have the same weather resistance.  Both not at the same level as 1Dx.

Used my R5 and R5c in sandy, light raining and light snow with no issue so far but they are insured so I take more risks without worrying. 

Thanks for your reply 

OK if R5c is same as R5 it is fine with me as user of 5DMK2 I think it will be fine with this body

Anyone using the R5C with a gimbal? Would love to know what other owners are using and what the experience has been like. Currently looking at either the RS2 or RS3 but I'm coming from the Glidecam era so gimbals are new to me. I'll also be looking to use mine with the battery grip and compatible Smallrig cage which I have no interest in dismantling - so curious how that might limit or complicate things for me.

On 10/19/2022 at 8:58 PM, Ty Harper said:

Anyone using the R5C with a gimbal? Would love to know what other owners are using and what the experience has been like. Currently looking at either the RS2 or RS3 but I'm coming from the Glidecam era so gimbals are new to me. I'll also be looking to use mine with the battery grip and compatible Smallrig cage which I have no interest in dismantling - so curious how that might limit or complicate things for me.

I used the R5c with the full cage and the FxLion One Battery on top of the cage on a Ronin S quite a bit and depending on the lens is a bit at the limit with the clearance. The EVF of the R5c is stick out quite a bit and the cage need some more space on the motor side.

Sold the S and now I use a RS3 Pro and due to stronger motors and longer harms I can mount whatever with no issue. For my Africa project I did use a lot with the 70-200 and no problem at all to balance and still have enough clearance to go underslung.

Although Smallrig claims the cage to be compatible with the DJI arca plate ,mine is not and I tested with RSC2 (too small for this camera anyway) and RS3 Pro plates and due to the security pin both cannot take the cage directly. I have the R5 full cage so maybe.
Bottomline either you mount the DJI arca adapter (that comes with the gimbal) on the tripod hole of the cage or if you want something more solid you need to buy this: SMALLRIG Quick Release Plate for Arca-Type Standard Compatible with DJI RS 2 / RSC 2 / RS 3 / RS 3 Pro Gimbal - 3154  or this SMALLRIG Camera Quick Release Plate Adapter with Arca-Swiss for DJI RS 2/RSC 2/RS 3/RS 3 Pro & for Ronin-S Gimbal - 3061.

I use the gimbal on high vibration environment quite a bit, on MTB, Motorbike, Jeep, Skii, Heli so the stronger motor of the RS3 Pro is a no brainer for my usage. For only 200g more is imo worth. The new auto locking of the RS3 and RS3 Pro seems a small thing but it makes life so much easier. 

9B89D9AA-F1FD-44C2-B37D-DE20201340A1.thumb.jpeg.70a9f32e21aca4c867c5f13a9844159c.jpeg

49684E24-AE8B-4922-A1CE-670202ADBC3C.thumb.jpeg.913256bc40cde6ecad88684eee8568f0.jpeg

• 1 month later...

5 hours ago, ntblowz said:

On R5/R5C 8K/4K Fine it is 15.5ms, on 4K standard mode and 4K50p it change to 9.6ms, on 5.9K RAW APS-C it is 11.5ms

On R7 the 4K Fine mode it is around 31ms according to the graph, so if 4K50P is 14.5ms then I think 4k non standard will be the same as 4K50p.

I knew Gordon done the test of 4K fine, 4K standard and 1080p quality comparison on the R5, 4k standard is still way sharper than 1080p.

79b50db959a24cbd9480bec1ea31594d.jpg

image.thumb.png.60b21a208406b0718d9312663532b585.png

Any estimation how bad rolling shutter is on R5 C 8K50P/60P?

38 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

This is the only test I can see that they did 8K25p and 8K50P rolling shutter, seems like same rolling shutter performance on 25p and 50p

Does it record 8K50P internally after all?

Full lens stabilization and autofocus internally? Supplied with the EF lenses via their adapter too?

What lenses have you used there?

On 9/2/2022 at 10:31 AM, gt3rs said:

Do you have a small clip of the cheetah with AF?

I shot 99% underwater and I saw this test/comparison of R5 vs R5C.

Demo reels contains artifacts and are incredibly noisy on blue and black. I would never buy a camera seeing those clips.

https://www.backscatter.com/reviews/post/Canon-EOS-R5-vs-R5C-Underwater-Review

I know for sure these camera are better than that. Maybe they were misconfiguration somehow.

1 hour ago, gt3rs said:

R5c RF 100-500 handled, Center area AF (large) max speed and responsiveness, 4k 100 fps (conformed to 25fps), Log3, unedited just Canon LUT applied.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM1djr8LbBM

It is impressive how the AF chases the animals and is not distracted by the bushes in the foreground.

At one point it seems to focus on the logs but then follows the cheetahs into the bushes naturally.

21 hours ago, Davide DB said:

It is impressive how the AF chases the animals and is not distracted by the bushes in the foreground.

At one point it seems to focus on the logs but then follows the cheetahs into the bushes naturally.

I was also very surprised how well it managed this tricky situation. Overall AF is quite reliable but is not always perfect. This is example when it lost it in the easiest phase but the condition where really challenging.

R5c 8K RAW 1/50 ISO 16'000 (yes not a typo ISO 16k) 400mm 2.8, AF tracking, on a bean bag, it was basically night and my driver did not believe I could film in that light. The beginning is out of focus until I could select the young leopard face, at 0.19 is when the camera loses him.